Grandell Rehabilitation and Nursing Center is a very-large nursing home in Long Beach, New York. Sporting an overall grade of B-, this looks like a middle of the road nursing home. This grade is right in line with the city grade in Long Beach. One of the best aspects of this facility's profile is its stellar inspection grade, which we will address in the next section.
Grandell Rehabilitation and Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
The primary reason this facility received a decent overall grade is its impeccable health inspections in recent years. We gave it one of our higher grades in that category, with an A+. This is a notably better score than the place's overall score, which was decent but certainly not elite. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing our inspection grades. One of those factors is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more important than the number of deficiencies, as some deficiencies are quite insignificant. This particular nursing home received 3 deficiencies on its inspection report. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Another strength of this nursing home is its elite score in long-term care. We gave it one of our better grades in that area, with a score of A. Long-term care grades of this caliber generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. One of the criteria we considered after nursing hours is vaccinations. This nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccination to 98.68248 percent of its residents. This is a proven method to minimize negative health outcomes for the elderly population. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Grandell Rehabilitation and Nursing Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Unfortunately, this facility only received a D for its short-term care rating, which is not one of our better scores. In the category of short-term care, we try to assess measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We analyze a nursing home's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. Unfortunately, we found that this nursing home provided fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. The last datapoint we assessed in this category is the percentage of patients who who were able to eventually return home from the facility. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 4.3 percent of its patients returning home.
Turning to our final category, this facility really didn't fare well. With an abysmal grade of F in nursing, this is this facility's poorest grade. When calculating a facility's nursing grade, we consider the amount of time nurses commit to patients as well as the skill levels of the nurses. This facility averaged a meager 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This figure is significantly below average. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing ratings. This nursing home fared well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these statistics to be indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Grandell Rehabilitation and Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Grandell Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 9.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric tells you the percent of long-term stay residents who suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a great measure of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Grandell Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who experienced falls which caused serious injury. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Grandell Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 2.08% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term residents that have had urinary tract infections. UTI's may be an indicator of lower quality nursing care. However, this datapoint could also be skewed for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Grandell Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 11.61% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to residents for a variety of conditions, including cognitive disorders. Tragically, in limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Grandell Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 13.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are generally given to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Grandell Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 13.6% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. Some experts would argue that this is a reliable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Grandell Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 91.89% of Patients
This is the percent of residents that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Grandell Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 14.66% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Grandell Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 18.82% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term residents that were able to retain mobility.
In Grandell Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Grandell Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 18.82 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Grandell Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 8.77 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Grandell Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 74.71% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Long Beach, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Long Beach, New York has 3 other nursing homes
- St John's Episcopal Hospital at South ShoreAcute Care Hospitals 3.72 miles away327 Beach 19th Street Far Rockaway New York 11691Voluntary non-profit - Church(718) 869-7000
- Mercy Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.73 miles away1000 North Village Avenue Rockville Centre New York 11570Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 705-2525
- Jamaica Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.58 miles away89th Avenue and Van Wyck Expressway Richmond Hill New York 11418Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 262-6000
- Queens Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.04 miles away82-68 164th Street Jamaica New York 11432Government - Local(718) 883-3000
- Creedmoor Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 11.07 miles away80-45 Winchester Blvd Bldg B Queens Village New York 11427Government - State(718) 264-4000
- Nyu Winthrop HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.2 miles away259 First Street Mineola New York 11501Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 663-0333
- Nassau University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.99 miles away2201 Hempstead Turnpike East Meadow New York 11554Government - Local(516) 572-0123
- Brookdale Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.78 miles away1 Brookdale Plaza Brooklyn New York 11212Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 240-5966
- Peninsula Continuum Services LLC3.35 miles away50-15 Beach Channel Drive Far Rockaway New York 11691Dialysis Stations: 20 (718) 734-2190
- Woodmere Dialysis LLC3.54 miles awayFive Towns Premier Nursing and Rehabilitation 1050 Central Avenue Woodmere New York 11598Dialysis Stations: 14 (516) 791-5277
- Marjorie Basser Dialysis Center3.76 miles awaySt. John's Episcopal Hospital 327 Beach 19th Street, Dialysis Unit Far Rockaway New York 11691Dialysis Stations: 15 (718) 869-7637
- South Nassau Outpatient Dialysis Center3.78 miles away3618 Oceanside Road Oceanside New York 11572CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (516) 255-8000
- Rockaway Hd LLC3.81 miles away529 Beach 20th Street Far Rockaway New York 11691Dialysis Stations: 16 (718) 327-4503
- Davita Lynbrook Dialysis Center4.98 miles away147 Scranton Avenue Lynbrook New York 11563CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (516) 596-4101
- S. Nassau Communities Hosp.5.47 miles away1 Healthy Way Dialysis - Acute Unit Oceanside New York 11572Dialysis Stations: 3 (516) 632-3944
- West Nassau Dialysis Ctr, Inc5.57 miles away75 Rockaway Avenue Valley Stream New York 11580CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (516) 823-4444