Grandell Rehabilitation and Nursing Center is a very-large nursing home in Long Beach, New York. Sporting an overall grade of B-, this looks like a middle of the road nursing home. You could certainly do worse than this facility. One of the best aspects of this facility's report card is its remarkable inspection grade, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Grandell Rehabilitation and Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Long Beach senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its decent overall grade, we gave this facility an A+ for our inspections rating. This grade is far more impressive than the facility's overall score. Perhaps the most significant factor we consider in calculating our inspection grades is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Facilities with higher scores in this category typically dodged the most severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. This particular nursing home received 3 deficiencies on its inspection report. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
We also want to point out that this nursing home was awarded a strong long-term care score. Indeed, it received one of our highest scores in this category with a grade of A-. When facilities receive a score in this range in this category it typically means it's well-staffed and is an overall good place to live on a permanent basis. After looking at the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 98.161766 percent of its residents for pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping residents healthy. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Grandell Rehabilitation and Nursing Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The third highest category we awarded this nursing home in any category came in the area of short-term care, where we awarded it a C. In computing our short-term care ratings, we look at the facility's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other licensed professionals. This category is often a fair measure of the facility's rehabilitation. Unfortunately, we were not able to locate information about this nursing home's registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. Finally, we looked at the number of residents who were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 5.6 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was actually quite a bit below average.
The last area we scored is nursing, which is this facility's weakest area. It received an F for this area, which is obviously a major disappointment. Our nursing rating focuses on the facility's level of nurse staffing. We look at both the levels of licensure of those nurses and the number of hours spent with patients. With only 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis, this place's nurse staffing levels were well below the national average. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing scores. This place performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these statistics to be reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Grandell Rehabilitation and Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Grandell Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 12.71% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Grandell Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 3.06% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are often the result of lower quality nursing care. Better nursing protocols minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Grandell Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 1.96% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often the result of worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this statistic could be skewed for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Grandell Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 14.4% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to patients for a variety of medical conditions, such as dementia. Tragically, in some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Grandell Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 16.17% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who were administered antianxiety drugs. These drugs are generally prescribed to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Grandell Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 33.42% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Grandell Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 97.86% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Grandell Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 12.4% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Grandell Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 8.06% of Residents
This is the percentage of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Grandell Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Grandell Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 8.06% of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Grandell Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 8.95% of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Grandell Rehabilitation and Nursing Center, 87.42% of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many argue this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
- St John's Episcopal Hospital at South ShoreAcute Care Hospitals 3.72 miles away327 Beach 19th Street Far Rockaway New York 11691Voluntary non-profit - Church(718) 869-7000
- Mercy Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.73 miles away1000 North Village Avenue Rockville Centre New York 11570Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 705-2525
- Jamaica Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.58 miles away89th Avenue and Van Wyck Expressway Richmond Hill New York 11418Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 262-6000
- Queens Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.04 miles away82-68 164th Street Jamaica New York 11432Government - Local(718) 883-3000
- Creedmoor Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 11.07 miles away80-45 Winchester Blvd Bldg B Queens Village New York 11427Government - State(718) 264-4000
- Nyu Winthrop HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.2 miles away259 First Street Mineola New York 11501Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 663-0333
- Nassau University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.99 miles away2201 Hempstead Turnpike East Meadow New York 11554Government - Local(516) 572-0123
- Brookdale Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.78 miles away1 Brookdale Plaza Brooklyn New York 11212Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 240-5966
- Peninsula Continuum Services LLC3.35 miles away50-15 Beach Channel Drive Far Rockaway New York 11691Dialysis Stations: 20 (718) 734-2190
- Woodmere Dialysis LLC3.54 miles awayFive Towns Premier Nursing and Rehabilitation 1050 Central Avenue Woodmere New York 11598Dialysis Stations: 14 (516) 791-5277
- Marjorie Basser Dialysis Center3.76 miles awaySt. John's Episcopal Hospital 327 Beach 19th Street, Dialysis Unit Far Rockaway New York 11691Dialysis Stations: 15 (718) 869-7637
- South Nassau Outpatient Dialysis Center3.78 miles away3618 Oceanside Road Oceanside New York 11572CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (516) 255-8000
- Rockaway Hd LLC3.81 miles away529 Beach 20th Street Far Rockaway New York 11691Dialysis Stations: 16 (718) 327-4503
- Davita Lynbrook Dialysis Center4.98 miles away147 Scranton Avenue Lynbrook New York 11563CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (516) 596-4101
- S. Nassau Communities Hosp.5.47 miles away1 Healthy Way Dialysis - Acute Unit Oceanside New York 11572Dialysis Stations: 3 (516) 632-3944
- West Nassau Dialysis Ctr, Inc5.57 miles away75 Rockaway Avenue Valley Stream New York 11580CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (516) 823-4444