Grand Avenue Rest Home is located in Minneapolis, Minnesota. This city is among the most populated cities in the nation with has a population of 1,022,298 people. This nursing home was given a somewhat concerning overall grade of D, which is a well below average grade. Fortunately, if you aren't satisfied with this facility, there are 53 nursing homes to choose from in the city so you should be able to find a better option. If you aren't deterred by this place's profile, you can continue reading to find out about its category scores. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section.
Grand Avenue Rest Home
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Registered Staff Hours
Although we were not high on this nursing home overall, we awarded it a B+ for our inspections rating. This score is much better than the place's overall score. Arguably the most critical factor we consider in determining our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's inspection reports. It is generally in your best interest to avoid facilities that had a long list of deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. In spite of this deficiency, this nursing home still received a relatively positive inspection report.
One of the other reasons we graded this facility so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing grade. In that category, we gave this nursing home an B-. Nursing grades are based in large part on quality and quantity of nursing care. This nursing home provides only 0.1 hours of nursing care per patient each day. This is a somewhat uninspiring figure which is well below the national average. Finally, nursing scores also factor in quality-based measures, such as preventing major falls. Despite not having the highest total nursing hours, this nursing home actually performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is generally an indicator that a place has quality controls in place. Many falls can be avoided if a nursing home supplies enough nurses to assist its patients.
Does this page answer your questions about Grand Avenue Rest Home?
Long-term Care Quality
Unfortunately, this facility only received a grade of D for its long-term care rating, which is not a very good score. For long-term care residents, the nursing home's primary objective is to maintain residents' quality of life and keep them safe. Once we concluded our assessment of the quantity of care provided by nurses, we then looked at the facility's vaccination data. We were pleased to discover that this facility vaccinates 94.80519 percent of its residents for pneumonia. Surprisingly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home had fewer hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. Unfortunately, some of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
Short-term Care Quality
The last area we assessed is short-term care, is this facility's weakest area. We gave this nursing home a grade of D in this area. Our short-term care grades are critical for prospective residents needing rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually requires more skilled nursing services. This includes a broad range of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Based on its poor score in this category, we weren't stunned to discover that this facility offered far fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most facilities. The last metric we considered in this category is the percentage of patients who who were able to eventually return home from the nursing home. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 0 percent of its residents returning home. Unfortunately, this was quite a bit below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Grand Avenue Rest Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Grand Avenue Rest Home, 4.32% of Patients had Serious Falls
This measures the percent of long-term care residents who have sustained falls which caused major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Grand Avenue Rest Home, 2.81% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections could be linked to poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Grand Avenue Rest Home, 12.17% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Grand Avenue Rest Home, 4.73% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents showing signs of depression. High rates of depression could indicate worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Grand Avenue Rest Home, 93.57% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Grand Avenue Rest Home, 13.28% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Grand Avenue Rest Home, 20.05% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Grand Avenue Rest Home, 20.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Scores for Minneapolis, MN
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Minneapolis, Minnesota has 52 other nursing homes
- Abbott Northwestern HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.83 miles away800 East 28th Street Minneapolis Minnesota 55407Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 863-4457
- Children's Hospitals & Clinics of MnChildrens 2.07 miles away2525 Chicago Avenue South Minneapolis Minnesota 55404Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 813-6112
- Hennepin County Medical Center 1Acute Care Hospitals 3.1 miles away701 Park Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55415Government - Local(612) 873-3629
- University of Minnesota Medical Center, FairviewAcute Care Hospitals 3.35 miles away2450 Riverside Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55454Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 273-3000
- Fairview Southdale HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.76 miles away6401 France Avenue South Minneapolis Minnesota 55435Voluntary non-profit - Private(952) 924-5100
- Park Nicollet Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.82 miles away6500 Excelsior Blvd Minneapolis Minnesota 55426Voluntary non-profit - Private(952) 993-5000
- North Memorial HealthAcute Care Hospitals 6.05 miles away3300 Oakdale North Minneapolis Minnesota 55422Voluntary non-profit - Private(763) 520-5200
- United HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.64 miles away333 North Smith Avenue Saint Paul Minnesota 55102Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 241-8810
- Davita - Uptown0.5 miles away3601 Lyndale Avenue South Minneapolis Minnesota 55409Dialysis Stations: 12 (612) 825-4583
- Fmc Dialysis - South Minneapolis0.52 miles away4310 Nicollet Ave Minneapolis Minnesota 55409Dialysis Stations: 12 (612) 822-4411
- Bio-Medical Applications of Minnesota, Inc.1.92 miles away2637 Park Ave S Minneapolis Minnesota 55407Dialysis Stations: 14 (612) 872-1946
- Minneapolis Dialysis of Davita2.35 miles away825 S 8th St, sl42 Minneapolis Minnesota 55404CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (612) 347-5972
- Home Dialysis of Davita - Pd Unit3.01 miles away825 S 8th St Suite 1202, Pd Unit Minneapolis Minnesota 55404Dialysis Stations: 6 (612) 347-4458
- Davita - Richfield3.32 miles away6601 Lyndale Ave South Suite 150 Minneapolis Minnesota 55423Dialysis Stations: 12 (612) 869-2118
- U of Mn Med Ctr, Fairview - Dialysis3.36 miles away2450 Riverside Ave Kidney Center South Bldg Minneapolis Minnesota 55454Dialysis Stations: 11 (612) 365-3756
- Fresenius - St Louis Park Dialysis3.55 miles away5680 36th St W Minneapolis Minnesota 55416Dialysis Stations: 12 (952) 926-0959