Granada Hills Convalescent is in Granada Hills, California. Featuring an overall rating of B+, this looks like a very good nursing home. In our view, this place is a good fit for most people. Fortunately, this place did not have any weak links in any of the four major categories. More information about its category grades can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Granada Hills Convalescent
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Granada Hills senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Catheter Care
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in Granada Hills, California Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Granada Hills, California Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for our inspections rating. Our inspection scores are tied to several datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that excel in this category have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. While this facility had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G through L. This tells you that CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. We should note that deficiency-free inspections are rare in this industry.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home really excelled in the area of short-term care, where we awarded it a score of A-. Not many facilities performed better in this area. Short-term care grades are often used to measure a nursing home's rehabilitation services. In order to have quality rehabilitation services, facilities generally must offer better levels of skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other highly trained professionals. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. However, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the percentage of patients who eventually returned home from this facility. We found that 5.7 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Granada Hills Convalescent?
Another one of this facility's impressive category grades came in the area of nursing care. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of B. Our nursing grade is based on many subcategories. The most heavily weighted one is the amount of time nurses spent with residents. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we analyzed is long-term care. This facility was awarded an impressive long-term care score this year, with a B-. Although this wasn't nearly as elite as a few of its other grades, this remains a respectable grade for that category. Our long-term care scores are critical for patients requiring non-healthcare services such as personal care. On top of considering the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. This place also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Granada Hills Convalescent Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Granada Hills Convalescent, 11.76% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure is is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who have new or worsened pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a solid measure of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Granada Hills Convalescent, 1.69% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls resulting in injury are often the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Granada Hills Convalescent, 4.29% of Patients had UTIs
This figure measures the percentage of long-term residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's could be an indication of a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this statistic could also be misleading for some facilities due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Granada Hills Convalescent, 0% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These drugs may be used to treat several conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Granada Hills Convalescent, 24.55% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are used to treat residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Granada Hills Convalescent, 0% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Granada Hills Convalescent, 100% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Granada Hills Convalescent, 10.53% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Granada Hills Convalescent, 5.51% of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who remained mobile levels.
In Granada Hills Convalescent, 0.03 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Granada Hills Convalescent, 5.51% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Granada Hills Convalescent, 5.84% of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Granada Hills Convalescent, 91% of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry believe that this is a measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
- Providence Holy Cross Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.67 miles away15031 Rinaldi St Mission Hills California 91346Voluntary non-profit - Church(818) 365-8051
- Northridge Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.1 miles away18300 Roscoe Blvd Northridge California 91325Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 885-8500
- Lac/Olive View-Ucla Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.71 miles away14445 Olive View Drive Sylmar California 91342Voluntary non-profit - Other(818) 364-1555
- Pacifica Hospital of the ValleyAcute Care Hospitals 5.31 miles away9449 San Fernando Rd Sun Valley California 91352Proprietary(818) 767-3310
- Providence Tarzana Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.06 miles away18321 Clark Street Tarzana California 91356Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 881-0800
- Sherman Oaks HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.57 miles away4929 Van Nuys Blvd Sherman Oaks California 91403Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 981-7111
- Providence Saint Joseph Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 11.7 miles away501 South Buena Vista Street Burbank California 91505Voluntary non-profit - Church(818) 843-5111
- Resnick Neuropsychiatric Hospital at UclaPsychiatric 14.03 miles away150 Medical Plaza-Rm-4230c Los Angeles California 90095Government - State(310) 825-6962
- Nrc-Kidney Care Center of North Valley, Inc1.06 miles away16907 Devonshire Street Granada Hills California 91344CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (818) 366-4600
- Holy Cross Renal Center1.5 miles away14901 Rinaldi Street, Suite 100 Mission Hills California 91345CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 52 (818) 365-6961
- Fmc-Mission Hills1.5 miles away11550 Indian Hills Road, Suite 100 Mission Hills California 91345CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (818) 898-1724
- Fmc-Rai-South Brand-San Fernando2.48 miles away501 S. Brand Blvd. San Fernando California 91340Dialysis Stations: 5 (818) 365-5270
- Fmc-San Fernando2.48 miles away451 S. Brand Blvd., Suite 100 San Fernando California 91340CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (818) 837-9980
- Nrc-Sylmar Dialysis, LLC2.59 miles away12151 San Fernando Rd. Sylmar California 91342CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (818) 465-9464
- u.s. Renal Care Northridge Dialysis3.14 miles away18546 Roscoe Blvd., Suite 108 Northridge California 91324CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (818) 886-3771
- u.s. Renal Care Panorama City Dialysis3.63 miles away14600 Roscoe Blvd. Panorama City California 91402CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (818) 901-9822