Granada Hills Convalescent is in Granada Hills, California. Featuring an overall rating of A+, this nursing home is among the most impressive facilities we found. In fact, we were so impressed with this nursing home that we ranked it as the best facility in Granada Hills. This nursing home was also given strong grades in all of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Granada Hills Convalescent
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Catheter Care
Best Nursing Home in Granada Hills, California Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Granada Hills, California Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
We also found that this facility excelled in our long-term care rating. We awarded them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. Long-term care grades of this caliber generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. After looking at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is far higher than most nursing homes. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Adding to its impressive category grades, this nursing home also excelled in the area of inspections, where it earned an A. Not many nursing homes performed as well in this area. Arguably the most important factor we consider in determining our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a facility's inspection reports. Places with higher scores in this area most likely dodged the most severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. Fortunately, although this nursing home had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means the inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Granada Hills Convalescent?
Among its many impressive grades, this facility received an excellent nursing grade. In fact, we gave it a grade of A in that category. When determining our nursing grades, we factor in both nursing hours and the training levels of those nurses. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as employing a system of moving a patient more frequently.
Short-term Care Quality
In the final area, we gave this facility a grade of A for its short-term care score. This topped off a very strong report card. Our short-term care ratings are based in part on the nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled nursing services. This includes a broad scope of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, not to mention other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last measure we looked at in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the facility and return home. We found that 5.7 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Granada Hills Convalescent Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Granada Hills Convalescent, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Granada Hills Convalescent, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who had a fall resulting in serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Granada Hills Convalescent, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This figure indicates the percent of long-term care patients who sustained urinary tract infections. While a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it is difficult to compare between facilities due to facilities having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Granada Hills Convalescent, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. These drugs are used for treating a variety of medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Granada Hills Convalescent, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are given to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Granada Hills Convalescent, 4.64% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Granada Hills Convalescent, 95.44% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these types of vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Granada Hills Convalescent, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of erosion of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Granada Hills Convalescent, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents who maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Granada Hills Convalescent, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Granada Hills Convalescent, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Granada Hills Convalescent, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Granada Hills Convalescent, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry believe that this is a measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Granada Hills, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Granada Hills, California has 3 other nursing homes
- Providence Holy Cross Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.67 miles away15031 Rinaldi St Mission Hills California 91346Voluntary non-profit - Church(818) 365-8051
- Northridge Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.1 miles away18300 Roscoe Blvd Northridge California 91325Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 885-8500
- Lac/Olive View-Ucla Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.71 miles away14445 Olive View Drive Sylmar California 91342Voluntary non-profit - Other(818) 364-1555
- Pacifica Hospital of the ValleyAcute Care Hospitals 5.31 miles away9449 San Fernando Rd Sun Valley California 91352Proprietary(818) 767-3310
- Providence Tarzana Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.06 miles away18321 Clark Street Tarzana California 91356Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 881-0800
- Sherman Oaks HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.57 miles away4929 Van Nuys Blvd Sherman Oaks California 91403Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 981-7111
- Providence Saint Joseph Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 11.7 miles away501 South Buena Vista Street Burbank California 91505Voluntary non-profit - Church(818) 843-5111
- Resnick Neuropsychiatric Hospital at UclaPsychiatric 14.03 miles away150 Medical Plaza-Rm-4230c Los Angeles California 90095Government - State(310) 825-6962
- Nrc-Kidney Care Center of North Valley, Inc1.06 miles away16907 Devonshire Street Granada Hills California 91344CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (818) 366-4600
- Holy Cross Renal Center1.5 miles away14901 Rinaldi Street, Suite 100 Mission Hills California 91345CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 52 (818) 365-6961
- Fmc-Mission Hills1.5 miles away11550 Indian Hills Road, Suite 100 Mission Hills California 91345CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (818) 898-1724
- Fmc-Rai-South Brand-San Fernando2.48 miles away501 S. Brand Blvd. San Fernando California 91340Dialysis Stations: 5 (818) 365-5270
- Fmc-San Fernando2.48 miles away451 S. Brand Blvd., Suite 100 San Fernando California 91340CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (818) 837-9980
- Nrc-Sylmar Dialysis, LLC2.59 miles away12151 San Fernando Rd. Sylmar California 91342CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (818) 465-9464
- u.s. Renal Care Northridge Dialysis3.14 miles away18546 Roscoe Blvd., Suite 108 Northridge California 91324CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (818) 886-3771
- u.s. Renal Care Panorama City Dialysis3.63 miles away14600 Roscoe Blvd. Panorama City California 91402CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (818) 901-9822