Granada Hills Convalescent is in Granada Hills, California. Featuring an overall rating of A, this nursing home is among the most impressive facilities we found. In fact, we were so impressed with this nursing home that we ranked it as the best facility in Granada Hills. This nursing home was also given strong grades in all of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Granada Hills Convalescent
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Catheter Care
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
We also found that this facility excelled in our long-term care rating. We awarded them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. Long-term care grades of this caliber generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. After looking at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is far higher than most nursing homes. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Adding to its strong resume, this facility also received an excellent nursing score, with a grade of A. Our nursing grade is largely tied to a facility's level of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Granada Hills Convalescent?
This facility has received near flawless health inspections in recent years. We awarded them an impressive grade of A in this category. Inspection grades are based on many datapoints found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that score well in this area have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. While this nursing home had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were serious based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
The last category we analyzed is short-term care, where this nursing home received a grade of A-. This topped off an elite report card. Not many facilities earned an A- or higher in every category. Our short-term care ratings are probably more critical for folks requiring rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation usually utilizes additional highly-skilled nursing services. This means not merely nursing, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the percentage of residents that were able to return home from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Granada Hills Convalescent Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Granada Hills Convalescent, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Granada Hills Convalescent, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who have sustained falls which resulted in severe injury. We use this statistic in computing nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Granada Hills Convalescent, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often associated with facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Better nursing care can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this statistic is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Granada Hills Convalescent, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term stay patients taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Granada Hills Convalescent, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically given to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Granada Hills Convalescent, 4.33% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who are exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Granada Hills Convalescent, 95.72% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Granada Hills Convalescent, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Granada Hills Convalescent, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents that remained mobile levels. Many argue that mobility is critical to residents' mental and physical well-being.
In Granada Hills Convalescent, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Granada Hills Convalescent, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Granada Hills Convalescent, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to assess short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Granada Hills Convalescent, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some would argue this is a reliable measure of rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Granada Hills, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Granada Hills, California has 3 other nursing homes
- Providence Holy Cross Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.67 miles away15031 Rinaldi St Mission Hills California 91346Voluntary non-profit - Church(818) 365-8051
- Northridge Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.1 miles away18300 Roscoe Blvd Northridge California 91325Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 885-8500
- Lac/Olive View-Ucla Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.71 miles away14445 Olive View Drive Sylmar California 91342Voluntary non-profit - Other(818) 364-1555
- Pacifica Hospital of the ValleyAcute Care Hospitals 5.31 miles away9449 San Fernando Rd Sun Valley California 91352Proprietary(818) 767-3310
- Providence Tarzana Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.06 miles away18321 Clark Street Tarzana California 91356Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 881-0800
- Sherman Oaks HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.57 miles away4929 Van Nuys Blvd Sherman Oaks California 91403Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 981-7111
- Providence Saint Joseph Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 11.7 miles away501 South Buena Vista Street Burbank California 91505Voluntary non-profit - Church(818) 843-5111
- Resnick Neuropsychiatric Hospital at UclaPsychiatric 14.03 miles away150 Medical Plaza-Rm-4230c Los Angeles California 90095Government - State(310) 825-6962
- Nrc-Kidney Care Center of North Valley, Inc1.06 miles away16907 Devonshire Street Granada Hills California 91344CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (818) 366-4600
- Holy Cross Renal Center1.5 miles away14901 Rinaldi Street, Suite 100 Mission Hills California 91345CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 52 (818) 365-6961
- Fmc-Mission Hills1.5 miles away11550 Indian Hills Road, Suite 100 Mission Hills California 91345CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (818) 898-1724
- Fmc-Rai-South Brand-San Fernando2.48 miles away501 S. Brand Blvd. San Fernando California 91340Dialysis Stations: 5 (818) 365-5270
- Fmc-San Fernando2.48 miles away451 S. Brand Blvd., Suite 100 San Fernando California 91340CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (818) 837-9980
- Nrc-Sylmar Dialysis, LLC2.59 miles away12151 San Fernando Rd. Sylmar California 91342CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (818) 465-9464
- u.s. Renal Care Northridge Dialysis3.14 miles away18546 Roscoe Blvd., Suite 108 Northridge California 91324CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (818) 886-3771
- u.s. Renal Care Panorama City Dialysis3.63 miles away14600 Roscoe Blvd. Panorama City California 91402CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (818) 901-9822