Gracedale - Northampton County is a very-large government-owned nursing home in Nazareth, Pennsylvania. We awarded it an overall grade of B-, which is a middle of the road grade. Based on our analysis, this place has some redeeming qualities. One of the major highlights of this facility's report card is its exemplary inspection grade, which is addressed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Gracedale - Northampton County
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Nazareth senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Government - County
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a respectable facility overall, this place really excelled in the area of inspections, where it earned a grade of A+. Few nursing homes performed better in this category. These inspection scores weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This place was assessed 6 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe. This tells you that the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies to pose an immediate risk to patient health or safety. Remember that deficiency-free inspections are rare in the industry.
Long-term Care Quality
We also awarded this nursing home a strong grade in long-term care. This facility received a grade of B+ in this category, which happens to be one of our better scores. When facilities receive this type of score in long-term care it is usually a good sign for patient care and indicates that the facility is well-staffed with nurses and aids. One of the factors we considered in addition to nurse's aid hours was vaccines. This facility administered the pneumonia vaccine to 95.16635 percent of its residents. Vaccination is a reliable method to minimize negative health outcomes for the elderly population. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Gracedale - Northampton County?
One of this facility's better category grades was in the area of nursing care. In that area, we gave this facility a grade of B-. We analyzed the levels of nurses employed by the facility, as well as the number of hours those nurses spent with patients, in determining our rating in this area. This nursing home provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This is a low total compared to most facilities. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics. Although this place got docked a bit for its nursing hours per resident, it excelled in some of these quality measures. With less than five percent of its patients suffering from pressure ulcers, it performed well in this metric. This can be a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as having a protocol of moving residents more often.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the next area, this facility really didn't fare very well. Due to a bottom of the barrel grade of F in short-term care, this is this nursing home's poorest area. Short-term care grades are often used to grade a nursing home's rehabilitation services. To offer highly rated rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to offer better levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other licensed professionals. It appears that this nursing home was subpar in many staffing metrics we looked at. In fact, it supplied fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other nursing homes. The final datapoint we looked at in this category is the number of patients who ultimately returned home from the nursing home. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 3.3 percent of its residents returning home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Gracedale - Northampton County Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Gracedale - Northampton County, 8.08% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care can minimize the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Gracedale - Northampton County, 2.95% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients which have had falls which caused serious injury. We use this statistic in determining nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Gracedale - Northampton County, 3.25% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections could be linked to inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Gracedale - Northampton County, 22.14% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Gracedale - Northampton County, 31.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term stay patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Gracedale - Northampton County, 2.57% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Gracedale - Northampton County, 96.25% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Gracedale - Northampton County, 25.54% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate erosion of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Gracedale - Northampton County, 28.05% of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients who retained mobility levels. Some argue that mobility is important for residents' mental and physical health.
In Gracedale - Northampton County, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is critical to the physical health of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Gracedale - Northampton County, 28.05% of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Gracedale - Northampton County, 16.67% of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Gracedale - Northampton County, 66.1% of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Easton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.25 miles away250 South 21st Street Easton Pennsylvania 18042Proprietary(610) 250-4076
- St Luke's Hospital - Anderson CampusAcute Care Hospitals 6.67 miles away1872 St Luke's Blvd Easton Pennsylvania 18045Voluntary non-profit - Private(484) 503-3000
- St Luke's Warren HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.81 miles away185 Roseberry St Phillipsburg New Jersey 08865Voluntary non-profit - Other(908) 847-6700
- St Luke's Hospital BethlehemAcute Care Hospitals 9.37 miles away801 Ostrum Street Bethlehem Pennsylvania 18015Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 954-4000
- Sacred Heart HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.2 miles away421 Chew Street Allentown Pennsylvania 18102Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 776-4900
- Palmerton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.71 miles away135 Lafayette Avenue Palmerton Pennsylvania 18071Voluntary non-profit - Other(610) 826-3141
- Lehigh Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.11 miles away1200 South Cedar Crest Boulevard Allentown Pennsylvania 18105Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 402-2273
- St Luke's Hospital - Monroe CampusAcute Care Hospitals 18.74 miles away100 St Luke's Lane Stroudsburg Pennsylvania 18360Voluntary non-profit - Private(272) 212-1000
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Easton3.91 miles away3501 Northwood Avenue Easton Pennsylvania 18045Dialysis Stations: 30 (610) 253-4278
- Davita - Palmer Dialysis Center5.78 miles away30 Community Drive Easton Pennsylvania 18045CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (610) 258-8855
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Bethlehem7.03 miles away2014 City Line Road, Suite 102 Bethlehem Pennsylvania 18017CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (610) 264-9660
- Davita - St. Luke's Bethlehem7.93 miles away1425 8th Avenue Bethlehem Pennsylvania 18018CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (484) 403-4304
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Slatebelt8.3 miles away525 East West Street Wind Gap Pennsylvania 18091Dialysis Stations: 12 (610) 863-7852
- Fmc Phillipsburg Dialysis Ctr9.33 miles away471 Center Street Kidney Treatment Center Phillipsburg New Jersey 08865CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (908) 454-7440
- Bio-Medical Applications of Pennsylvania, Inc9.43 miles away1005 Harvard Avenue Bethlehem Pennsylvania 18015Dialysis Stations: 17 (610) 997-8350
- Etowah Dialysis, LLC9.57 miles away1220 3rd Street Whitehall Pennsylvania 18052Dialysis Stations: 13 (610) 266-1706