Gracedale - Northampton County is a very-large government-owned nursing home in Nazareth, Pennsylvania. This is a relatively poor facility, with an overall grade of D. If you are not happy with this facility's poor overall grade, you may find your options to be limited in Nazareth. The city has just one other nursing home. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's report card is its impressive inspection reports. You can continue reading to find out about inspections and other category grades
Gracedale - Northampton County
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Government - County
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
While we were fairly low on this nursing home overall, we awarded it a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. This score is far more impressive than the facility's overall score. Our inspection scores are tied to datapoints found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are an important thing to look for on these inspections. Most importantly, you should avoid facilities with severe deficiencies linked to risks to resident well being. While this place had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that the inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A few minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
This facilities second best category was long-term care. We gave it a grade of B- in this area. This is basically a slightly below average grade in this area. In crafting our long-term care ratings, we analyze the nursing home's ability to maintain its permanent residents' health and quality of life. On top of considering the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to only 89.48731 percent of its residents, which is somewhat concerning. On a more positive note, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Gracedale - Northampton County?
In addition, we gave this facility an F in the area of nursing care. We weighed the qualifications of nurses at the nursing home, in addition to the number of hours those nurses were with residents, in determining our grade in this category. With only 0.2 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis, this facility's nurse staffing levels were well below average. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing ratings. This place fared well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we graded is short-term care. It received an F in this category, which is an abysmal grade. In calculating our short-term care ratings, we size up the facility's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other licensed professionals. This score is frequently a meaningful measure of the nursing home's ability to rehabilitate patients. Based on its grade in this area, we weren't surprised to find that this place is well below average in terms of its quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours offered to its patients based on the data we looked at. Finally, we considered the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that just 3.3 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Gracedale - Northampton County Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Gracedale - Northampton County, 7.59% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients which have new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We use this statistic in calculating both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Gracedale - Northampton County, 3.37% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term residents which have experienced falls which resulted in severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be a sign of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Gracedale - Northampton County, 1.9% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely caused by worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this statistic could also be skewed for certain nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Gracedale - Northampton County, 15.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are administered to residents for a variety of conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Unfortunately, in limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Gracedale - Northampton County, 19.74% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term patients who were prescribed antianxiety medication. These medications are commonly used to treat residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Gracedale - Northampton County, 3.12% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients showing depressive symptoms. High levels of depression could be an indicator a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Gracedale - Northampton County, 88.22% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Gracedale - Northampton County, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may indicate the decline of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Gracedale - Northampton County, 21.64% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term residents who retained mobility levels.
In Gracedale - Northampton County, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is key to preserving the physical well-being of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Gracedale - Northampton County, 21.64 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Gracedale - Northampton County, 8.92 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to gauge patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Gracedale - Northampton County, 72.59% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Easton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.25 miles away250 South 21st Street Easton Pennsylvania 18042Proprietary(610) 250-4076
- St Luke's Hospital - Anderson CampusAcute Care Hospitals 6.67 miles away1872 St Luke's Blvd Easton Pennsylvania 18045Voluntary non-profit - Private(484) 503-3000
- St Luke's Warren HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.81 miles away185 Roseberry St Phillipsburg New Jersey 08865Voluntary non-profit - Other(908) 847-6700
- St Luke's Hospital BethlehemAcute Care Hospitals 9.37 miles away801 Ostrum Street Bethlehem Pennsylvania 18015Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 954-4000
- Sacred Heart HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.2 miles away421 Chew Street Allentown Pennsylvania 18102Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 776-4900
- Palmerton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.71 miles away135 Lafayette Avenue Palmerton Pennsylvania 18071Voluntary non-profit - Other(610) 826-3141
- Lehigh Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.11 miles away1200 South Cedar Crest Boulevard Allentown Pennsylvania 18105Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 402-2273
- St Luke's Hospital - Monroe CampusAcute Care Hospitals 18.74 miles away100 St Luke's Lane Stroudsburg Pennsylvania 18360Voluntary non-profit - Private(272) 212-1000
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Easton3.91 miles away3501 Northwood Avenue Easton Pennsylvania 18045Dialysis Stations: 30 (610) 253-4278
- Davita - Palmer Dialysis Center5.78 miles away30 Community Drive Easton Pennsylvania 18045CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (610) 258-8855
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Bethlehem7.03 miles away2014 City Line Road, Suite 102 Bethlehem Pennsylvania 18017CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (610) 264-9660
- Davita - St. Luke's Bethlehem7.93 miles away1425 8th Avenue Bethlehem Pennsylvania 18018CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (484) 403-4304
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Slatebelt8.3 miles away525 East West Street Wind Gap Pennsylvania 18091Dialysis Stations: 12 (610) 863-7852
- Fmc Phillipsburg Dialysis Ctr9.33 miles away471 Center Street Kidney Treatment Center Phillipsburg New Jersey 08865CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (908) 454-7440
- Bio-Medical Applications of Pennsylvania, Inc9.43 miles away1005 Harvard Avenue Bethlehem Pennsylvania 18015Dialysis Stations: 17 (610) 997-8350
- Etowah Dialysis, LLC9.57 miles away1220 3rd Street Whitehall Pennsylvania 18052Dialysis Stations: 13 (610) 266-1706