Grace Care Center of Cypress turns out to be one of a list of 60 facilities located in Houston, Texas. The city has quite a few more facilities compared to most areas in the state. Featuring an overall grade of C, this is likely a decent nursing home. This grade isn't too far off the city grade for Houston, which is a B-. While this nursing home has performed respectably, we did want to let you know that there was an ownership change in the last year. We will keep an eye on their inspections and quality scores to see whether their performance goes up or down under new ownership.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Grace Care Center of Cypress
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Please note our records indicate that Grace Care Center of Cypress has changed ownership recently and while our data on this page is up-to-date there is a chance that the quality of this facility may change under new management.
Get pricing and details on Houston senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with its relatively modest overall grade, we gave this facility an A- for our inspections rating. This is far more impressive than the facility's overall score. Inspection scores are based on items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that score well in this area typically have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. This particular nursing home received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a solid inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
One of the other reasons we rated this facility so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing rating. In that area, we gave this nursing home a grade of B-. Our nursing score is primarily associated with the facility's nurse staffing. This facility provides only 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This is a somewhat uninspiring figure which is well below the national average. Lastly, while this facility got docked a bit for its nursing hours per resident, it excelled in some of our quality measures. With fewer than five percent of its patients suffering from pressure ulcers, it fared very well in this area.
Does this page answer your questions about Grace Care Center of Cypress?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next highest area is short-term care. In that area, we awarded this facility a C. In the area of short-term care, we attempt to assess measures of a facility's rehabilitation services. We analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. We found that this facility was below average in the two key staffing areas we assessed. In fact, it supplied fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other nursing homes. It is still important to determine whether this also correlates to a lower quality of care. Lastly, we considered the number of patients who ultimately returned home from this facility. We found that 4.7 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was actually well below the national average.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to our next area, we awarded this nursing home a D in the area of long-term care. This was the nursing home's weakest category grade. Nursing homes that do not fare well in this category typically are not as well-staffed and are lagging in some of the areas of routine personal care we looked at. In addition to looking at the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. Candidly, we were a bit alarmed this nursing home gave the vaccine to just 84.17266 percent of its patients. To our surprise, this place actually fared well at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had just 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This is its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Grace Care Center of Cypress Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Grace Care Center of Cypress, 6.76% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Grace Care Center of Cypress, 2.88% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who have had a major fall. Falls leading to severe injury are often the result of poor nursing care. Better nursing protocols reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Grace Care Center of Cypress, 0.37% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely the result of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this statistic can be misleading for some facilities due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Grace Care Center of Cypress, 20.72% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Grace Care Center of Cypress, 16.08% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Grace Care Center of Cypress, 0% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients showing signs of depression. Some believe that this is a measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Grace Care Center of Cypress, 88.98% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Grace Care Center of Cypress, 10.19% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Grace Care Center of Cypress, 12.39% of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients who remained mobile levels. Some experts believe that mobility is important for patients physical and mental health.
In Grace Care Center of Cypress, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Grace Care Center of Cypress, 12.39% of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Grace Care Center of Cypress, 10.59% of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Grace Care Center of Cypress, 83.58% of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of performance with activities of daily living often correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
Scores for Houston, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Houston, Texas has 59 other nursing homes
- Houston Methodist Willowbrook HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.76 miles away18220 Tomball Parkway Houston Texas 77070Voluntary non-profit - Private(281) 477-1000
- St Luke's Hospital at the VintageAcute Care Hospitals 6.13 miles away20171 Chasewood Park Drive Houston Texas 77070Proprietary(832) 534-5000
- First Texas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.09 miles away9922 Louetta Rd Houston Texas 77070Proprietary(844) 264-1435
- Houston Methodist West HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.94 miles away18500 Katy Freeway Houston Texas 77094Voluntary non-profit - Private(832) 522-1000
- Memorial Hermann Memorial City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.64 miles away921 Gessner Houston Texas 77024Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 242-3000
- Hca Houston Healthcare TomballAcute Care Hospitals 11.74 miles away605 Holderrieth Tomball Texas 77375Proprietary(281) 351-1623
- Hca Houston Healthcare WestAcute Care Hospitals 12.98 miles away12141 Richmond Ave Houston Texas 77082Proprietary(281) 588-8080
- Memorial Hermann Katy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.08 miles away23900 Katy Freeway Katy Texas 77494Voluntary non-profit - Private(281) 392-1111
- Kph-Consolidation, Inc0.72 miles away21216 Northwest Fwy Ste 320 Cypress Texas 77429Dialysis Stations: 12 (832) 912-3055
- Cypress Woods Northwest Dialysis0.85 miles away20320 Northwest Freeway Suite 100 Houston Texas 77065Dialysis Stations: 13 (281) 890-2540
- Northwest Houston Dialysis Ctr1.76 miles away8925 Hwy 6 North Suite 100 Houston Texas 77095CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (281) 550-0287
- Greylock Dialysis, LLC2.45 miles away11321 Fallbrook Dr Houston Texas 77065Dialysis Stations: 16 (281) 890-5468
- Bio-Medical Applications of Texas, Inc.2.73 miles away10505 Jones Rd Houston Texas 77065Dialysis Stations: 13 (281) 894-9687
- Cyfair Dialysis Center3 miles away9110 Jones Rd Ste 110 Houston Texas 77065Dialysis Stations: 16 (281) 517-0527
- Willowbrook Dialysis3.66 miles away12120 Jones Road, Suite G Houston Texas 77070CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (281) 890-7288
- Bear Creek Dialysis4.95 miles away4978 North Highway 6, Suite I Houston Texas 77084CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (281) 859-5020