Grace Care Center of Cypress turns out to be one of a list of 60 facilities located in Houston, Texas. The city has quite a few more facilities compared to most areas in the state. Featuring an overall grade of B-, this is likely a decent nursing home. This nursing home seems to have some things working in its favor. One of the better aspects of this nursing home's report card is its strong inspection score, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Grace Care Center of Cypress
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
9602 Huffmeister Rd,
Houston TX 77095
58.8% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home earned a solid overall grade as described above, but we really wanted to emphasize its nearly flawless inspections in recent years. We awarded them an impressive grade of A- in this category. Arguably the most significant factor we consider in computing our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a facility's inspection reports. Facilities with better scores in this area typically avoided the more severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. This particular nursing home received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a good inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's next best area came in the area of long-term care. In that category, we gave this facility a grade of B-. Our long-term care grade assesses a nursing home's assistance with daily living rather than the highly skilled therapy or healthcare services that are critical to a rehabilitation facility. After considering the volume of care provided by nurses, we turned to the facility's vaccination data. We were optimistic to discover that this facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Lastly, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Grace Care Center of Cypress?
This nursing home's next best category was nursing. We awarded it a grade of B- in this category. This is basically a middle of the road grade in this category. In determining a facility's nursing score, we weigh the quantity of hours nurses commit to residents and the skill levels of the nurses. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Lastly, although this facility got docked a bit for nursing hours, it actually excelled in some of our quality-based measures. With less than five percent of its patients experiencing pressure ulcers, it did well in this area.
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we looked at is short-term care. For that category, we awarded this facility a grade of B-. In determining our short-term care grades, we assess a facility's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other licensed professionals. This grade is generally a solid assessment of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we considered the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 5.1 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their residents are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Grace Care Center of Cypress Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Grace Care Center of Cypress, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols reduces the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Grace Care Center of Cypress, 3.33% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are routinely associated with poor nursing care. More supervision can minimize the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Grace Care Center of Cypress, 1.51% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that experienced a UTI. UTI's could be a sign of a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this metric may also be skewed for some facilities due to varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Grace Care Center of Cypress, 11.48% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This measures the percentage of long-term patients which are given antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior in scenarios where such drugs are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely on these drugs due to having more residents suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Grace Care Center of Cypress, 22.56% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are prescribed to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Grace Care Center of Cypress, 4.81% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents showing signs of depression. Increased rates of depression may be an indicator worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Grace Care Center of Cypress, 94.64% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Grace Care Center of Cypress, 17.1% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and using the bathroom. Some experts believe that this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Grace Care Center of Cypress, 16.36% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients who maintained mobility. Some believe that mobility is vital to residents' well-being.
In Grace Care Center of Cypress, 1.67 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is typically a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Grace Care Center of Cypress, 16.36 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Grace Care Center of Cypress, 11.4 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Grace Care Center of Cypress, 66.86% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Houston, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Houston, Texas has 59 other nursing homes
- Houston Methodist Willowbrook HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.76 miles away18220 Tomball Parkway Houston Texas 77070Voluntary non-profit - Private(281) 477-1000
- St Luke's Hospital at the VintageAcute Care Hospitals 6.13 miles away20171 Chasewood Park Drive Houston Texas 77070Proprietary(832) 534-5000
- First Texas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.09 miles away9922 Louetta Rd Houston Texas 77070Proprietary(844) 264-1435
- Houston Methodist West HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.94 miles away18500 Katy Freeway Houston Texas 77094Voluntary non-profit - Private(832) 522-1000
- Memorial Hermann Memorial City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.64 miles away921 Gessner Houston Texas 77024Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 242-3000
- Hca Houston Healthcare TomballAcute Care Hospitals 11.74 miles away605 Holderrieth Tomball Texas 77375Proprietary(281) 351-1623
- Hca Houston Healthcare WestAcute Care Hospitals 12.98 miles away12141 Richmond Ave Houston Texas 77082Proprietary(281) 588-8080
- Memorial Hermann Katy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.08 miles away23900 Katy Freeway Katy Texas 77494Voluntary non-profit - Private(281) 392-1111
- Kph-Consolidation, Inc0.72 miles away21216 Northwest Fwy Ste 320 Cypress Texas 77429Dialysis Stations: 12 (832) 912-3055
- Cypress Woods Northwest Dialysis0.85 miles away20320 Northwest Freeway Suite 100 Houston Texas 77065Dialysis Stations: 13 (281) 890-2540
- Northwest Houston Dialysis Ctr1.76 miles away8925 Hwy 6 North Suite 100 Houston Texas 77095CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (281) 550-0287
- Greylock Dialysis, LLC2.45 miles away11321 Fallbrook Dr Houston Texas 77065Dialysis Stations: 16 (281) 890-5468
- Bio-Medical Applications of Texas, Inc.2.73 miles away10505 Jones Rd Houston Texas 77065Dialysis Stations: 13 (281) 894-9687
- Cyfair Dialysis Center3 miles away9110 Jones Rd Ste 110 Houston Texas 77065Dialysis Stations: 16 (281) 517-0527
- Willowbrook Dialysis3.66 miles away12120 Jones Road, Suite G Houston Texas 77070CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (281) 890-7288
- Bear Creek Dialysis4.95 miles away4978 North Highway 6, Suite I Houston Texas 77084CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (281) 859-5020