Grace Care Center at Veterans Memorial is in the large metropolitan area of Houston, Texas. Featuring an overall score of B+, we graded this nursing home as ranked among the top twenty nursing homes nursing homes in the city. An overall grade in this range is a good indicator of a respectable nursing home. Based on our analysis, you could do much worse than this facility. The best part of this facility's impressive report card was its nursing score. We discuss nursing in the next section
Grace Care Center at Veterans Memorial
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a quality nursing home overall, this nursing home really excelled in nursing, where it received an A-. Few facilities fared better in this category. The nursing score analyzes many factors, however, the main one is the number of nurse hours spent with patients. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
We also wanted to emphasize this facility's nearly flawless inspections in recent years. We gave them an impressive grade of A- in this area. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing these inspection ratings. One critical factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies are relatively minor. Although this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its report, none were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. A few relatively minor dings aren't something to panic about.
Does this page answer your questions about Grace Care Center at Veterans Memorial?
Short-term Care Quality
Additionally, this nursing home also was awarded favorable short-term care scores in our assessment. Indeed, we gave it one of our better grades in that area, with a grade of B. In the category of short-term care, we endeavor to evaluate indicators of a facility's rehabilitation services. We assess a nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and various therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final datapoint we looked at in this area is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We found that 4.7 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we looked at turned out to be this nursing home's worst category. Nevertheless, even in its weakest link we still awarded it a respectable grade of B- for long-term care. In a long-term care environment, the primary objective is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. In addition to looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. Lastly, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Grace Care Center at Veterans Memorial Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Grace Care Center at Veterans Memorial, 7.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a measure of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Grace Care Center at Veterans Memorial, 3.28% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who have sustained a fall leading to serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Grace Care Center at Veterans Memorial, 1.64% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Grace Care Center at Veterans Memorial, 11.75% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to residents for many conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Sadly, in some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Grace Care Center at Veterans Memorial, 22.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term stay patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Grace Care Center at Veterans Memorial, 4.66% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who are exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Grace Care Center at Veterans Memorial, 94.73% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Grace Care Center at Veterans Memorial, 17.29% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Grace Care Center at Veterans Memorial, 18.08% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients who were able to retain mobility. Some experts argue that the ability to move around is important for residents' physical and mental health.
In Grace Care Center at Veterans Memorial, 1.58 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is critical to the physical health of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Grace Care Center at Veterans Memorial, 18.08 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Grace Care Center at Veterans Memorial, 11.87 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Grace Care Center at Veterans Memorial, 66.73% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Houston, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Houston, Texas has 59 other nursing homes
- United Memorial Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.53 miles away510 W Tidwell Houston Texas 77091Physician(713) 691-1111
- Hca Houston Healthcare NorthwestAcute Care Hospitals 6.67 miles away710 Cypress Creek Parkway Houston Texas 77090Proprietary(281) 440-1000
- Tops Surgical Specialty HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.69 miles away17080 Red Oak Drive Houston Texas 77090Physician(281) 539-2900
- Houston Methodist Willowbrook HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.96 miles away18220 Tomball Parkway Houston Texas 77070Voluntary non-profit - Private(281) 477-1000
- Intracare North HospitalPsychiatric 7.06 miles away1120 Cypress Station Dr Houston Texas 77090Voluntary non-profit - Private(281) 893-7200
- Memorial Hermann Hospital SystemAcute Care Hospitals 7.49 miles away1635 North Loop West Houston Texas 77008Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 448-6796
- First Texas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.8 miles away9922 Louetta Rd Houston Texas 77070Proprietary(844) 264-1435
- St Luke's Hospital at the VintageAcute Care Hospitals 8.82 miles away20171 Chasewood Park Drive Houston Texas 77070Proprietary(832) 534-5000
- Renal Treatment Centers Southeas Lp1.53 miles away12430 State Highway 249 Ste H Houston Texas 77086Dialysis Stations: 16 (281) 820-4880
- Champions Dialysis4.12 miles away4427 Cypress Creek Pkwy Houston Texas 77068CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (281) 444-8439
- North Shepherd Dialysis4.22 miles away7272 North Shepherd Bldg B Houston Texas 77091CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (713) 697-1115
- Northstar Dialysis Center4.28 miles away380 W Little York Houston Texas 77076CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 49 (281) 448-4506
- Renal Treatment Centers-Southeast, Lp4.39 miles away6626 Antoine Dr Houston Texas 77091Dialysis Stations: 16 (713) 681-0481
- Sng - Northwest Dialysis Center Lp4.45 miles away7112 Stuebner Airline Drive Houston Texas 77091Dialysis Stations: 36 (713) 490-7382
- Bothwell Dialysis LLC5.68 miles away8787 Fallbrook Dr Houston Texas 77064Dialysis Stations: 12 (281) 477-7878
- Romano Woods Dialysis Center6.17 miles away16910 Mathis Church Road Houston Texas 77090Dialysis Stations: 30 (281) 893-6300