Capstone Healthcare Estates at Veterans Memorial is in the large metropolitan area of Houston, Texas. We gave this facility an overall grade of D. A score of this caliber generally suggests some red flags. This nursing home has very little going for it. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's report card is its impressive inspection grade. You can continue reading to learn more about inspections and other category scores
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Capstone Healthcare Estates at Veterans Memorial
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Houston senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While we were not very complementary of this nursing home's overall grade, it actually received a very impressive inspection report this year. In fact, it received an excellent inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our highest grades in that category with an A. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in determining these inspection ratings. One key factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these end up being quite insignificant. This nursing home received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be severe. This tells you that the government inspectors didn't consider any of these deficiencies to cause an immediate threat to resident safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies are not necessarily the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
One of this facility's more respectable category scores came in the area of long-term care. This turned out to be its second most respectable category. In that area, we gave this facility a grade of B-. Long-term care grades are based in part on the facility's amount of care. This means a broad scope of personal care services, ranging from assistance with activities of daily living to routine healthcare services. In addition to considering the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. Thankfully, this facility gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is a very solid statistic. This place keeps its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Capstone Healthcare Estates at Veterans Memorial ?
We gave this facility a grade of just D for our nursing rating. Nursing ratings are primarily based on the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing ratings. This place performed well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these areas to be reliable measures of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we rated is short-term care. This nursing home received a very poor grade of F in that area. In our short-term care category, we try to create a meaningful gauge for rehabilitation. In doing so, we look at the nursing home's level of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Considering its poor rating in this category, we were not stunned to learn this place provides substantially fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than most nursing homes. Finally, we considered the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that just 3.8 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Capstone Healthcare Estates at Veterans Memorial Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Capstone Healthcare Estates at Veterans Memorial , 7.17% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure measures the percent of long-term care patients which have new or worsened pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a solid measure of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Capstone Healthcare Estates at Veterans Memorial , 3.38% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are considered by many experts to be a measure of nursing care . Major falls which result in injury are often caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Capstone Healthcare Estates at Veterans Memorial , 1.52% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term residents who have had urinary tract infections. Although more infections could reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it can be difficult to compare between facilities due to reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Capstone Healthcare Estates at Veterans Memorial , 10.14% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Capstone Healthcare Estates at Veterans Memorial , 22.67% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are commonly prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Capstone Healthcare Estates at Veterans Memorial , 4.84% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. Higher rates of depression could imply lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Capstone Healthcare Estates at Veterans Memorial , 93.69% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Capstone Healthcare Estates at Veterans Memorial , 17.58% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and taking a bath. Some experts believe this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Capstone Healthcare Estates at Veterans Memorial , 13.47% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who were able to retain mobility. Many in the industry argue that the ability to move around is critical to residents' mental and physical health.
In Capstone Healthcare Estates at Veterans Memorial , 1.89 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is key to preserving the physical well-being of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Capstone Healthcare Estates at Veterans Memorial , 13.47 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Capstone Healthcare Estates at Veterans Memorial , 11.91 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Capstone Healthcare Estates at Veterans Memorial , 66.29% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Houston, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Houston, Texas has 24 other nursing homes
- United Memorial Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.53 miles away510 W Tidwell Houston Texas 77091Physician(713) 691-1111
- Hca Houston Healthcare NorthwestAcute Care Hospitals 6.67 miles away710 Cypress Creek Parkway Houston Texas 77090Proprietary(281) 440-1000
- Tops Surgical Specialty HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.69 miles away17080 Red Oak Drive Houston Texas 77090Physician(281) 539-2900
- Houston Methodist Willowbrook HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.96 miles away18220 Tomball Parkway Houston Texas 77070Voluntary non-profit - Private(281) 477-1000
- Intracare North HospitalPsychiatric 7.06 miles away1120 Cypress Station Dr Houston Texas 77090Voluntary non-profit - Private(281) 893-7200
- Memorial Hermann Hospital SystemAcute Care Hospitals 7.49 miles away1635 North Loop West Houston Texas 77008Voluntary non-profit - Private(713) 448-6796
- First Texas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.8 miles away9922 Louetta Rd Houston Texas 77070Proprietary(844) 264-1435
- St Luke's Hospital at the VintageAcute Care Hospitals 8.82 miles away20171 Chasewood Park Drive Houston Texas 77070Proprietary(832) 534-5000
- Renal Treatment Centers Southeas Lp1.53 miles away12430 State Highway 249 Ste H Houston Texas 77086Dialysis Stations: 16 (281) 820-4880
- Champions Dialysis4.12 miles away4427 Cypress Creek Pkwy Houston Texas 77068CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (281) 444-8439
- North Shepherd Dialysis4.22 miles away7272 North Shepherd Bldg B Houston Texas 77091CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (713) 697-1115
- Northstar Dialysis Center4.28 miles away380 W Little York Houston Texas 77076CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 49 (281) 448-4506
- Renal Treatment Centers-Southeast, Lp4.39 miles away6626 Antoine Dr Houston Texas 77091Dialysis Stations: 16 (713) 681-0481
- Sng - Northwest Dialysis Center Lp4.45 miles away7112 Stuebner Airline Drive Houston Texas 77091Dialysis Stations: 36 (713) 490-7382
- Bothwell Dialysis LLC5.68 miles away8787 Fallbrook Dr Houston Texas 77064Dialysis Stations: 12 (281) 477-7878
- Romano Woods Dialysis Center6.17 miles away16910 Mathis Church Road Houston Texas 77090Dialysis Stations: 30 (281) 893-6300