Goodwin House Alexandria is a facility located in Alexandria, Virginia which has a total of 321,490 people. This turns out to be an A rated facility. This facility was given one of the top grades that we offer. A grade of this caliber requires first-rate scores across the board. In fact, we ranked this nursing home in the top ten percent of all facilities in the nation. As you will see below, this facility performed just as well in our category grades. In fact, we gave it straight A's!
Goodwin House Alexandria
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Top Nursing Home in Virginia Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Virginia Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Virginia Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this facility excelled in our nursing rating. We awarded them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. Nursing grades are heavily correlated with quantity of nursing care available. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
In addition, this nursing home also earned a nearly flawless government inspection report. As a result, it earned one of our best grades in that category with a score of A. Our inspection scores weigh a host of factors found on a nursing home's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with higher grades in this category tend to have very few severe deficiencies. This facility was assessed 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This means that the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies to cause an immediate risk to resident safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Goodwin House Alexandria?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also received a impressive long-term care score. Indeed, this is its third strongest category grade. In that area, this facility received a grade of A. Nursing homes that do well in this category tend to be well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to patients. Once we looked at the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 98.82353 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is significantly higher than the majority of nursing homes. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
In the last area, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for its short-term care grade. This topped off a very impressive report card. Short-term care grades are based on a nursing home's quantity of skilled highly skilled professionals. This means a broad scope of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, in addition to other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. However, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the percentage of residents who who were able to eventually return home from this facility. We found that 4.8 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Goodwin House Alexandria Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Goodwin House Alexandria, 8.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Goodwin House Alexandria, 3.64% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who have sustained falls which caused serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Goodwin House Alexandria, 2.55% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often caused by facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Closer supervision can minimize the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Note that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Goodwin House Alexandria, 13.56% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are given to patients for a variety of conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Tragically, in some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Goodwin House Alexandria, 20.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Goodwin House Alexandria, 3.63% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients demonstrating depressive symptoms. Some experts believe that this is a measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Goodwin House Alexandria, 91.12% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Goodwin House Alexandria, 16.48% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of decline of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Goodwin House Alexandria, 21.22% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients that maintained mobility. Many argue that mobility is important for residents' mental and physical well-being.
In Goodwin House Alexandria, 1.29 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Goodwin House Alexandria, 21.22 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Goodwin House Alexandria, 11.62 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Goodwin House Alexandria, 75.54% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Alexandria, VA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Alexandria, Virginia has 5 other nursing homes
- Inova Alexandria HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1 miles away4320 Seminary Rd Alexandria Virginia 22304Voluntary non-profit - Private(703) 504-3167
- Virginia Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.71 miles away1701 North George Mason Drive Arlington Virginia 22205Voluntary non-profit - Private(703) 558-5000
- George Washington Univ HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.67 miles away900 23rd St Nw Washington District of Columbia 20037Proprietary(202) 716-4605
- Medstar Georgetown University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.72 miles away3800 Reservoir Rd Washington District of Columbia 20007Voluntary non-profit - Private(202) 784-3000
- Inova Fairfax HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.14 miles away3300 Gallows Road Falls Church Virginia 22042Voluntary non-profit - Private(703) 776-4001
- United Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.89 miles away1310 Southern Avenue Se Washington District of Columbia 20032Proprietary(202) 574-6611
- Sibley Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.9 miles away5255 Loughboro Rd Nw Washington District of Columbia 20016Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 537-4680
- Inova Mount Vernon HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.99 miles away2501 Parkers Lane Alexandria Virginia 22306Voluntary non-profit - Private(703) 664-7000
- Davita - Alexandria1.79 miles away5150 Duke St Alexandria Virginia 22304CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (703) 823-7940
- Alexandria Kidney Center1.81 miles away4141 Duke Street Alexandria Virginia 22304CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (703) 370-8250
- Cdc - Alexandria2.07 miles away5999 Stevenson Ave Ste 100 Alexandria Virginia 22304CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (703) 751-6115
- Davita - Arlington2.14 miles away4805 First St North Arlington Virginia 22203CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (703) 527-0652
- Renal Carepartners - Arlington/Alexandria2.17 miles away2445 Army Navy Dr Anderson Bldg 2nd Floor Arlington Virginia 22206CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (703) 892-0250
- Davita Pentagon City Dialysis3.4 miles away1785 South Hayes St Arlington Virginia 22202Dialysis Stations: 8 (703) 920-0980
- Advanced Dialysis Center - Potomac3.4 miles away1785 S Hayes St Arlington Virginia 22202Dialysis Stations: 1 (703) 521-1056
- Us Renal Care Falls Church Dialysis3.75 miles away6541 Arlington Blvd Falls Church Virginia 22042Dialysis Stations: 13 (703) 533-8247