Located in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, Good Shepherd Home-Bethlehem is the only facility we identified in the city. This nursing home proved to be an A+ facility, which is our top score. We were so impressed with this nursing home that we ranked it in the top ten percentile of all nursing homes in the nation. As you can find below, this facility performed equally well in our category grades. In fact, we gave it straight A's!
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Good Shepherd Home-Bethlehem
- Nursing Home
- For people with disabilities
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Bethlehem senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Pennsylvania Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Pennsylvania Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Pennsylvania Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being a first rate facility overall, this nursing home also performed well in our inspections category, where it received a grade of A+. Very few nursing homes fared as well in this area. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in determining these inspection grades. One of those factors is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these can be quite insignificant. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this facility received an impressive grade of A in our nursing category. Nursing grades are largely tied to a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility Pennsylvania in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as by having a policy of moving a resident at least once a day.
Does this page answer your questions about Good Shepherd Home-Bethlehem?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was awarded a top-shelf short-term care score. This actually is this nursing home's third strongest category grade. In that category, this facility received a score of A. Our short-term care ratings are crucial for residents looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually utilizes additional highly-skilled nursing. This includes a vast range of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the number of patients that ultimately were able to return home from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
In the final area, we awarded this facility an A+ for our long-term care grade. This wrapped up a very impressive report card. Long-term care grades in this range generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. In addition to looking at the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 68.77637 percent of its residents. This is somewhat less than we were hoping for. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we hoped for, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Good Shepherd Home-Bethlehem Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Good Shepherd Home-Bethlehem, 7.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Good Shepherd Home-Bethlehem, 3.38% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term care residents who suffered a fall resulting in serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Good Shepherd Home-Bethlehem, 1.85% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often the result of facilities with lower levels of hygiene. More frequent bathing minimizes the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. We want to point out that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Good Shepherd Home-Bethlehem, 15.28% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. These drugs are used for treating a variety of medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Good Shepherd Home-Bethlehem, 18.78% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term stay residents that are prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are generally given to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Good Shepherd Home-Bethlehem, 3.3% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. Many in the industry argue that this is a reliable measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Good Shepherd Home-Bethlehem, 86.27% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Good Shepherd Home-Bethlehem, 15.17% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of the erosion of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Good Shepherd Home-Bethlehem, 17.92% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term stay patients that were able to retain mobility.
In Good Shepherd Home-Bethlehem, 1.44 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Good Shepherd Home-Bethlehem, 17.92 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care.
- St Luke's Hospital BethlehemAcute Care Hospitals 2.91 miles away801 Ostrum Street Bethlehem Pennsylvania 18015Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 954-4000
- Sacred Heart HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.2 miles away421 Chew Street Allentown Pennsylvania 18102Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 776-4900
- St Luke's Hospital - Anderson CampusAcute Care Hospitals 6.29 miles away1872 St Luke's Blvd Easton Pennsylvania 18045Voluntary non-profit - Private(484) 503-3000
- Lehigh Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.13 miles away1200 South Cedar Crest Boulevard Allentown Pennsylvania 18105Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 402-2273
- Easton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.09 miles away250 South 21st Street Easton Pennsylvania 18042Proprietary(610) 250-4076
- St Luke's Warren HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.56 miles away185 Roseberry St Phillipsburg New Jersey 08865Voluntary non-profit - Other(908) 847-6700
- Palmerton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.97 miles away135 Lafayette Avenue Palmerton Pennsylvania 18071Voluntary non-profit - Other(610) 826-3141
- St Luke's Quakertown HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.99 miles away1021 Park Avenue Quakertown Pennsylvania 18951Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 538-4500
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Bethlehem0.67 miles away2014 City Line Road, Suite 102 Bethlehem Pennsylvania 18017CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (610) 264-9660
- Davita - St. Luke's Bethlehem1.42 miles away1425 8th Avenue Bethlehem Pennsylvania 18018CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (484) 403-4304
- Etowah Dialysis, LLC3.35 miles away1220 3rd Street Whitehall Pennsylvania 18052Dialysis Stations: 13 (610) 266-1706
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Whitehall3.93 miles away1320 Mickley Road Whitehall Pennsylvania 18052CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (610) 264-2228
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Fogelsville4.06 miles away7310 Tilghman Street, Suite 100 Allentown Pennsylvania 18106Dialysis Stations: 13 (610) 395-1980
- Bio-Medical Applications of Pennsylvania, Inc4.9 miles away1005 Harvard Avenue Bethlehem Pennsylvania 18015Dialysis Stations: 17 (610) 997-8350
- Davita - St. Luke's Allentown Dialysis5.92 miles away1901 Hamilton St., Suite 100 Allentown Pennsylvania 18104Dialysis Stations: 4 (610) 435-2590
- Etowah Dialysis, LLC5.92 miles away1901 Hamilton St., Suite 200 Allentown Pennsylvania 18104Dialysis Stations: 4 (610) 776-1479