Located in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, Good Shepherd Home-Bethlehem is one of seven nursing homes in this area. This turns out to be an A+ facility, which is the absolute highest grade. Indeed, we were so impressed with this nursing home that we ranked it ahead of most of the nursing homes in Bethlehem, which boasts a decent selection of nursing homes. As you will find below, this nursing home performed equally well in our category grades. We gave it a straight A report card!
Good Shepherd Home-Bethlehem
- Nursing Home
- For people with disabilities
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Recreational Therapy
Top Nursing Home in Pennsylvania Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Pennsylvania Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Pennsylvania Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a quality nursing home is that it received an A+ inspection grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this critical category. Inspection grades account for a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we look at is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with better grades in this area usually have very few of these severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
We also awarded this facility a grade of A+ for its long-term care grade. For prospective residents looking for a permanent place to live rather than skilled nursing, long-term care grades are very important. In addition to looking at the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 87.86611 percent of its patients. This is a few points below what we were hoping for. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Good Shepherd Home-Bethlehem?
To complement its strong performance in other areas, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. Our nursing rating analyzes many subcategories, however, the most important consideration is the quantity of nurse hours per patient per week. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as employing a policy of moving patients even once per day.
Short-term Care Quality
In the last category we assessed, this nursing home was awarded a very strong grade of A in our short-term care category. With this grade, the facility wrapped up a straight A profile. In calculating our short-term care scores, we analyze a facility's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other types of therapists. This rating is considered to be a fair measure of the nursing home's ability to rehabilitate patients. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. However, according to the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final metric we considered in this area is the percentage of residents who ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Good Shepherd Home-Bethlehem Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Good Shepherd Home-Bethlehem, 7.59% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure tells you the percent of long-term stay residents which developed pressure ulcers or bed sores. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Good Shepherd Home-Bethlehem, 3.37% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are considered by many experts to be an indicator of nursing care . Major falls which result in injury are routinely caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Good Shepherd Home-Bethlehem, 1.9% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections may be linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Good Shepherd Home-Bethlehem, 15.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. These drugs are sometimes used to treat a variety of medical conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Good Shepherd Home-Bethlehem, 19.74% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are given to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Good Shepherd Home-Bethlehem, 3.12% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Good Shepherd Home-Bethlehem, 88.22% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Good Shepherd Home-Bethlehem, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and continence. Many believe that this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Good Shepherd Home-Bethlehem, 21.64% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who remained mobile levels. Many in the industry would argue that the ability to move around is critical to patients mental and physical well-being.
In Good Shepherd Home-Bethlehem, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Good Shepherd Home-Bethlehem, 21.64 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Bethlehem, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Bethlehem, Pennsylvania has 6 other nursing homes
- St Luke's Hospital BethlehemAcute Care Hospitals 2.91 miles away801 Ostrum Street Bethlehem Pennsylvania 18015Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 954-4000
- Sacred Heart HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.2 miles away421 Chew Street Allentown Pennsylvania 18102Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 776-4900
- St Luke's Hospital - Anderson CampusAcute Care Hospitals 6.29 miles away1872 St Luke's Blvd Easton Pennsylvania 18045Voluntary non-profit - Private(484) 503-3000
- Lehigh Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.13 miles away1200 South Cedar Crest Boulevard Allentown Pennsylvania 18105Voluntary non-profit - Private(610) 402-2273
- Easton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.09 miles away250 South 21st Street Easton Pennsylvania 18042Proprietary(610) 250-4076
- St Luke's Warren HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.56 miles away185 Roseberry St Phillipsburg New Jersey 08865Voluntary non-profit - Other(908) 847-6700
- Palmerton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.97 miles away135 Lafayette Avenue Palmerton Pennsylvania 18071Voluntary non-profit - Other(610) 826-3141
- St Luke's Quakertown HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.99 miles away1021 Park Avenue Quakertown Pennsylvania 18951Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 538-4500
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Bethlehem0.67 miles away2014 City Line Road, Suite 102 Bethlehem Pennsylvania 18017CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (610) 264-9660
- Davita - St. Luke's Bethlehem1.42 miles away1425 8th Avenue Bethlehem Pennsylvania 18018CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (484) 403-4304
- Etowah Dialysis, LLC3.35 miles away1220 3rd Street Whitehall Pennsylvania 18052Dialysis Stations: 13 (610) 266-1706
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Whitehall3.93 miles away1320 Mickley Road Whitehall Pennsylvania 18052CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (610) 264-2228
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Fogelsville4.06 miles away7310 Tilghman Street, Suite 100 Allentown Pennsylvania 18106Dialysis Stations: 13 (610) 395-1980
- Bio-Medical Applications of Pennsylvania, Inc4.9 miles away1005 Harvard Avenue Bethlehem Pennsylvania 18015Dialysis Stations: 17 (610) 997-8350
- Davita - St. Luke's Allentown Dialysis5.92 miles away1901 Hamilton St., Suite 100 Allentown Pennsylvania 18104Dialysis Stations: 4 (610) 435-2590
- Etowah Dialysis, LLC5.92 miles away1901 Hamilton St., Suite 200 Allentown Pennsylvania 18104Dialysis Stations: 4 (610) 776-1479