Good Samaritan Society - Specialty Care Community is a nursing home located in Minneapolis, Minnesota which has 1,022,298 people. Featuring an overall score of A, we deemed this facility as ranked among the top twenty facilities in the city. An overall score in this range is a reliable indication of a world class nursing home. We really can not say enough favorable things about this nursing home. One of the major highlights of this nursing home's remarkable profile is its nursing score. We discuss nursing in the next paragraph.
Good Samaritan Society - Specialty Care Community
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for our nursing rating. Nursing scores are based largely on nurse staffing levels. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
This facility has received near flawless health inspections in recent years. We awarded them an impressive grade of A in this category. Inspection grades account for several factors included in a facility's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we rely on is the number and severity of deficiencies. Places with higher scores in this category usually have very few of these severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Does this page answer your questions about Good Samaritan Society - Specialty Care Community?
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on our next category, we gave this nursing home a grade of A for its short-term care grade. This is a very impressive score. Short-term care scores are based in part on the nursing home's quantity of skilled highly skilled professionals. This means a wide scope of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, not to mention other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 6.1 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we assessed was long-term care. We awarded this facility one of our more favorable scores in that category, with a grade of B. Although this is not on par with some of its other grades, it is nevertheless a positive score. For prospective patients looking for a permanent place to live rather than rehabilitation, long-term care is an important category. In addition to looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 84.25197 percent of its residents. This is somewhat below what we anticipated. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Good Samaritan Society - Specialty Care Community Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Good Samaritan Society - Specialty Care Community, 6.84% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure indicates the percent of long-term residents which are suffering from pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Good Samaritan Society - Specialty Care Community, 4.32% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term patients which have experienced falls resulting in serious injury. We use this statistic in determining nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Good Samaritan Society - Specialty Care Community, 2.81% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely the result of worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this statistic could also be skewed for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Good Samaritan Society - Specialty Care Community, 16.37% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to patients for many conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Tragically, in limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Good Samaritan Society - Specialty Care Community, 12.17% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Good Samaritan Society - Specialty Care Community, 4.73% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents exhibiting symptoms of depression. Some experts believe this is a measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Good Samaritan Society - Specialty Care Community, 93.57% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Good Samaritan Society - Specialty Care Community, 13.28% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Good Samaritan Society - Specialty Care Community, 20.05% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents that remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Good Samaritan Society - Specialty Care Community, 1.26 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Good Samaritan Society - Specialty Care Community, 20.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Good Samaritan Society - Specialty Care Community, 12.78 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Good Samaritan Society - Specialty Care Community, 76.19% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Minneapolis, MN
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Minneapolis, Minnesota has 52 other nursing homes
- North Memorial HealthAcute Care Hospitals 0.9 miles away3300 Oakdale North Minneapolis Minnesota 55422Voluntary non-profit - Private(763) 520-5200
- Hennepin County Medical Center 1Acute Care Hospitals 4.93 miles away701 Park Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55415Government - Local(612) 873-3629
- Children's Hospitals & Clinics of MnChildrens 5.83 miles away2525 Chicago Avenue South Minneapolis Minnesota 55404Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 813-6112
- Abbott Northwestern HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.08 miles away800 East 28th Street Minneapolis Minnesota 55407Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 863-4457
- University of Minnesota Medical Center, FairviewAcute Care Hospitals 6.11 miles away2450 Riverside Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55454Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 273-3000
- Park Nicollet Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.93 miles away6500 Excelsior Blvd Minneapolis Minnesota 55426Voluntary non-profit - Private(952) 993-5000
- Fairview Southdale HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.59 miles away6401 France Avenue South Minneapolis Minnesota 55435Voluntary non-profit - Private(952) 924-5100
- Maple Grove HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.4 miles away9875 Hospital Drive Osseo Minnesota 55369Voluntary non-profit - Private(763) 581-1000
- Fmc - Robbinsdale Dialysis0.44 miles away4094 Lakeland Ave N Minneapolis Minnesota 55422Dialysis Stations: 24 (763) 533-3759
- Robbinsdale Dialysis of Davita0.6 miles away3461 W Broadway Ave Minneapolis Minnesota 55422Dialysis Stations: 16 (763) 521-4865
- Fmc Dialysis - Golden Valley2.17 miles away6155 Duluth St Minneapolis Minnesota 55422Dialysis Stations: 18 (763) 544-0298
- Davita - New Hope3.83 miles away5640 International Pkwy Minneapolis Minnesota 55428Dialysis Stations: 12 (763) 537-0300
- East River Road Dialysis3.86 miles away5301 E River Rd Ne Suite 117 Minneapolis Minnesota 55421Dialysis Stations: 12 (763) 571-5556
- Home Dialysis of Davita - Pd Unit5.05 miles away825 S 8th St Suite 1202, Pd Unit Minneapolis Minnesota 55404Dialysis Stations: 6 (612) 347-4458
- Minneapolis Ne Dialysis of Davita5.21 miles away1049 10th Ave Se Minneapolis Minnesota 55414Dialysis Stations: 12 (612) 331-6088
- Minneapolis Dialysis of Davita5.61 miles away825 S 8th St, sl42 Minneapolis Minnesota 55404CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (612) 347-5972