Good Samaritan Society - Specialty Care Community is a nursing home located in Minneapolis, Minnesota which has 1,022,298 people. We gave this facility an elite overall rating of A-. Consequently, it is one of the highest graded facilities in Minneapolis. This is an impressive accomplishment since the city features plenty of very solid nursing homes. We really can not say enough favorable things about this nursing home. The best part of this nursing home's strong profile was its short-term care score. We discuss short-term care in the next section
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Good Samaritan Society - Specialty Care Community
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Minneapolis senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a great nursing home is that it received an A+ short-term care grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this category. In crafting our short-term care scores, we look at the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our purpose is to formulate a scale for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 6.6 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this facility received an impressive grade of A in our nursing category. Our nursing rating analyzes the facility's level of nurse staffing. We weigh both the levels of training of the nurses and the quantity of hours spent with patients. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as employing a protocol of turning patients more frequently.
Does this page answer your questions about Good Samaritan Society - Specialty Care Community?
This nursing home also performed at a high level in the category of inspections. It earned a nearly flawless inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our best grades in that category with a grade of B+. Inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can find more information about each of these factors by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we scored was long-term care. We awarded this nursing home one of our more favorable grades in that category, with a grade of B. Although this isn't on par with some of this nursing home's other grades, it is still an excellent grade. Nursing homes that receive this kind of grade in this category tend to provide consistent around the clock care to make sure patients are well cared for. In addition to assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 82.246376 percent of its patients. This is slightly less than we expected but still a decent figure. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we like to see, we were pleased to find facility was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Good Samaritan Society - Specialty Care Community Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Good Samaritan Society - Specialty Care Community, 5.43% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Good Samaritan Society - Specialty Care Community, 3.26% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents that sustained a fall leading to major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Good Samaritan Society - Specialty Care Community, 0.36% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely the result of worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this statistic could also be skewed for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Good Samaritan Society - Specialty Care Community, 23.18% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to patients for many conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Tragically, in limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Good Samaritan Society - Specialty Care Community, 27.59% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Good Samaritan Society - Specialty Care Community, 0% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents exhibiting symptoms of depression. Some experts believe this is a measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Good Samaritan Society - Specialty Care Community, 87.23% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Good Samaritan Society - Specialty Care Community, 16.06% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Good Samaritan Society - Specialty Care Community, 15.72% of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents that remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Good Samaritan Society - Specialty Care Community, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Good Samaritan Society - Specialty Care Community, 15.72% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Good Samaritan Society - Specialty Care Community, 8.57% of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Good Samaritan Society - Specialty Care Community, 70.55% of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Minneapolis, MN
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Minneapolis, Minnesota has 15 other nursing homes
- North Memorial HealthAcute Care Hospitals 0.9 miles away3300 Oakdale North Minneapolis Minnesota 55422Voluntary non-profit - Private(763) 520-5200
- Hennepin County Medical Center 1Acute Care Hospitals 4.93 miles away701 Park Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55415Government - Local(612) 873-3629
- Children's Hospitals & Clinics of MnChildrens 5.83 miles away2525 Chicago Avenue South Minneapolis Minnesota 55404Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 813-6112
- Abbott Northwestern HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.08 miles away800 East 28th Street Minneapolis Minnesota 55407Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 863-4457
- University of Minnesota Medical Center, FairviewAcute Care Hospitals 6.11 miles away2450 Riverside Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55454Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 273-3000
- Park Nicollet Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.93 miles away6500 Excelsior Blvd Minneapolis Minnesota 55426Voluntary non-profit - Private(952) 993-5000
- Fairview Southdale HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.59 miles away6401 France Avenue South Minneapolis Minnesota 55435Voluntary non-profit - Private(952) 924-5100
- Maple Grove HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.4 miles away9875 Hospital Drive Osseo Minnesota 55369Voluntary non-profit - Private(763) 581-1000
- Fmc - Robbinsdale Dialysis0.44 miles away4094 Lakeland Ave N Minneapolis Minnesota 55422Dialysis Stations: 24 (763) 533-3759
- Robbinsdale Dialysis of Davita0.6 miles away3461 W Broadway Ave Minneapolis Minnesota 55422Dialysis Stations: 16 (763) 521-4865
- Fmc Dialysis - Golden Valley2.17 miles away6155 Duluth St Minneapolis Minnesota 55422Dialysis Stations: 18 (763) 544-0298
- Davita - New Hope3.83 miles away5640 International Pkwy Minneapolis Minnesota 55428Dialysis Stations: 12 (763) 537-0300
- East River Road Dialysis3.86 miles away5301 E River Rd Ne Suite 117 Minneapolis Minnesota 55421Dialysis Stations: 12 (763) 571-5556
- Home Dialysis of Davita - Pd Unit5.05 miles away825 S 8th St Suite 1202, Pd Unit Minneapolis Minnesota 55404Dialysis Stations: 6 (612) 347-4458
- Minneapolis Ne Dialysis of Davita5.21 miles away1049 10th Ave Se Minneapolis Minnesota 55414Dialysis Stations: 12 (612) 331-6088
- Minneapolis Dialysis of Davita5.61 miles away825 S 8th St, sl42 Minneapolis Minnesota 55404CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (612) 347-5972