Rio Vista Post Acute & Rehabilitation is one of six nursing homes located in Peoria, Arizona. This nursing home turns out to be a decent facility, with an overall grade of B-. The nursing homes in Peoria received quality grades across the board with a city grade of a B. This nursing home was stronger in some categories than others, but it did not have any bad scores in any of our major areas discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Rio Vista Post Acute & Rehabilitation
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
10323 West Olive Avenue,
Peoria AZ 85345
78.66% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Pain Management
- Lymphedema Care
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was decent, it really fared well in the category of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- for that category, which is one of our highest scores. Perhaps the most important factor we look at in determining our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a facility's inspection reports. Nursing homes with better grades in this area most likely avoided the more severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. Although this place had some deficiencies on its report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. A couple minor dings aren't something to panic about.
Short-term Care Quality
One of this nursing home's more favorable category scores was in the category of short-term care. This turned out to be its second best category. In that area, we gave this facility a B-. Short-term care scores are critical for patients seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually mandates higher levels of highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes a wide spectrum of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like this facility provided information about its staffing of registered nurses or physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the percentage of residents that were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was actually quite a bit below the national average.
Does this page answer your questions about Rio Vista Post Acute & Rehabilitation?
One of this facility's better category grades was in the area of nursing care. In that area, we gave this facility a grade of B-. Our nursing score focuses on the facility's level of nurse staffing. We look at both the levels of skill of those nurses and the quantity of hours spent with patients. This nursing home provides only 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient each day. This is a somewhat alarming figure which is well below average. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures. While this facility got dinged a bit for nursing hours per resident, it excelled in some of these quality-based metrics. With fewer than five percent of its residents experiencing pressure ulcers, it fared remarkably well in this statistic. This is generally an indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as by having a protocol of moving patients more often.
Long-term Care Quality
Our final area is long-term care, in which we awarded this facility a grade of C in that area. In the category of long-term care, we look at the amount of services offered by a facility, rather than more healthcare-oriented services. On top of considering the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 97.04797 percent of its patients, which is better than the majority of nursing homes. Finally, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Rio Vista Post Acute & Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Rio Vista Post Acute & Rehabilitation, 8.97% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by staying in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Rio Vista Post Acute & Rehabilitation, 2.2% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term patients that suffered falls which caused major injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be a sign of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Rio Vista Post Acute & Rehabilitation, 1.68% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents that had a UTI. UTI's could be a sign of a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this metric could also be skewed for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Rio Vista Post Acute & Rehabilitation, 11.03% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Rio Vista Post Acute & Rehabilitation, 16.78% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay residents which are administered antianxiety medication. These drugs are used to treat residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Rio Vista Post Acute & Rehabilitation, 3.1% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Some experts would argue that this is a measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Rio Vista Post Acute & Rehabilitation, 80.03% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Rio Vista Post Acute & Rehabilitation, 12.44% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Rio Vista Post Acute & Rehabilitation, 20.97% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term care patients who were able to retain mobility.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Rio Vista Post Acute & Rehabilitation, 20.97 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Rio Vista Post Acute & Rehabilitation, 11.03 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Rio Vista Post Acute & Rehabilitation, 73.85% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with ADL's generally correlates with higher quality rehabilitation services.
Scores for Peoria, AZ
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Peoria, Arizona has 5 other nursing homes
- Banner Boswell Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.7 miles away10401 West Thunderbird Boulevard Sun City Arizona 85351Voluntary non-profit - Other(623) 832-4000
- Banner Estrella Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.13 miles away9201 West Thomas Road Phoenix Arizona 85037Voluntary non-profit - Private(623) 327-4000
- Banner Thunderbird Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.71 miles away5555 West Thunderbird Road Glendale Arizona 85306Government - Hospital District or Authority(602) 865-4470
- Copper Springs Hospital, LLCPsychiatric 6.98 miles away10550 West Mcdowell Road Avondale Arizona 85392Proprietary(480) 565-3035
- Abrazo Arrowhead CampusAcute Care Hospitals 7.63 miles away18701 North 67th Avenue Glendale Arizona 85308Proprietary(623) 561-1000
- Abrazo West CampusAcute Care Hospitals 8.05 miles away13677 West Mcdowell Road Goodyear Arizona 85395Proprietary(623) 882-1970
- Banner Del E. Webb Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.26 miles away14502 West Meeker Boulevard Sun City West Arizona 85375Voluntary non-profit - Private(623) 524-4000
- Abrazo Central CampusAcute Care Hospitals 10.87 miles away2000 West Bethany Home Road Phoenix Arizona 85015Physician(602) 249-0212
- Desert Dialysis Srvs Inc-Sun City (Dva)2.17 miles away13000 N 103rd Ave Ste 66 Sun City Arizona 85351CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (623) 583-3131
- Fresenius Kidney Care Westgate Home2.79 miles away6622 N 91st Avenue Ste 210 Glendale Arizona 85305Dialysis Stations: 1 (623) 877-0209
- Fresenius Kidney Care Westgate2.79 miles away6622 N 91st Ave Suite 120 Glendale Arizona 85305Dialysis Stations: 23 (623) 772-1334
- Phoenix Artificial Kidney Center (Fmc)2.94 miles away13090 N 94th Dr Ste 100 Peoria Arizona 85381CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (623) 974-5851
- Sun City Dialysis (Fmc)3.24 miles away10050 W Bell Rd Ste 29-31 Sun City Arizona 85351Dialysis Stations: 12 (623) 815-1770
- Sweetwater Ridge Dialysis (Dva)3.56 miles away7362 W Thunderbird Rd Suite 104 Peoria Arizona 85381Dialysis Stations: 20 (623) 486-0327
- Palm Brook Dialysis Center (Dva)3.65 miles away14664 N Del Webb Blvd Sun City Arizona 85351CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (623) 583-6550
- Dialysis Center of Glendale (Fmc)5.46 miles away5957 W Northern Ave Ste 108 Glendale Arizona 85301CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (623) 435-1155