Good Samaritan Society - Maplewood is a small non-profit nursing home located in Saint Paul, Minnesota. This turns out to be an A+ facility, which is the very best grade. Indeed, we were so impressed with this facility that we ranked it as one of the five best nursing homes in Saint Paul. This also ended up being a very consistent facility with consistent grades in each of the major categories we assessed. Additional information about its category grades is available below.
Good Samaritan Society - Maplewood
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
550 Roselawn Avenue East,
Saint Paul MN 55117
75.77% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
To pair with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for its nursing grade. Short-term care grades are commonly used to grade a nursing home's rehabilitation services. To provide high-end rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to feature higher levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other licensed professionals. This nursing home excelled in the two key staffing areas we looked at. In fact, it provided about 50% more care from physical therapists and registered nurses than a typical facility. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that it outperformed the vast majority of facilities in the country with 70.3 percent of its residents returning home.
This nursing home also received a nearly flawless inspection. As a result, it earned one of our highest scores in that area with a score of A+. This is one of the few places to receive multiple A+'s. Arguably the most critical factor we consider in determining our inspection scores is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Places with better scores in this area typically avoided the most severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. Amazingly, this was one of the few nursing homes in the country that had no deficiencies whatsoever on its inspection report. This is very impressive. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Good Samaritan Society - Maplewood?
Long-term Care Quality
We also wanted to note the fact that this facility was given a top-shelf score of A in our long-term care area. Nursing homes that do well in this category typically are well-staffed and offer extensive hands on care to patients. After assessing the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination data. This facility vaccinated 96.732025 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is better than most nursing homes. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Turning to the last area, this facility also performed well in our nursing category. We awarded it an A in this category. This finalized truly elite profile. There are a variety of factors within this grade. Most of the data points reflect nurse staffing. This place provided 4.8 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis, which is among the higher figures in the country. A significant portion of those hours were provided by registered nurses, which are one of the most skilled levels of nurses. We are very impressed by both of these figures. On top of offering high levels of nursing care, this place also fared well in several of the quality measures we looked at. By way of illustration, in terms of the number of its residents suffering falls leading to serious injury, this place performed better than the national average. This is often a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can frequently be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Good Samaritan Society - Maplewood Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Good Samaritan Society - Maplewood, 6.9% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric gauges the percent of long-term care patients which developed new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Good Samaritan Society - Maplewood, 4.36% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls leading to injury are routinely the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Good Samaritan Society - Maplewood, 2.82% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often linked to facilities with worst hygiene practices. Better hygiene protocols reduces the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. We want to point out that this metric is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Good Samaritan Society - Maplewood, 16.53% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to residents for a variety of conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Unfortunately, in limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Good Samaritan Society - Maplewood, 12.02% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Good Samaritan Society - Maplewood, 4.55% of Patients
This is the percent of residents demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Good Samaritan Society - Maplewood, 94.12% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Good Samaritan Society - Maplewood, 13.22% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and continence. Many argue this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Good Samaritan Society - Maplewood, 19.91% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who were able to retain mobility. Many in the industry argue that the ability to move around is important for patients well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Good Samaritan Society - Maplewood, 19.91 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Good Samaritan Society - Maplewood, 12.78 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Good Samaritan Society - Maplewood, 76.23% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with ADL's generally correlates with superior rehabilitation.
Scores for Saint Paul, MN
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Saint Paul, Minnesota has 24 other nursing homes
- Healtheast St John's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.95 miles away1575 Beam Avenue Saint Paul Minnesota 55109Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 232-7000
- Regions HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.16 miles away640 Jackson Street Saint Paul Minnesota 55101Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 254-1616
- United HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.23 miles away333 North Smith Avenue Saint Paul Minnesota 55102Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 241-8810
- University of Minnesota Medical Center, FairviewAcute Care Hospitals 8.15 miles away2450 Riverside Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55454Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 273-3000
- Hennepin County Medical Center 1Acute Care Hospitals 9.21 miles away701 Park Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55415Government - Local(612) 873-3629
- Children's Hospitals & Clinics of MnChildrens 9.5 miles away2525 Chicago Avenue South Minneapolis Minnesota 55404Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 813-6112
- Abbott Northwestern HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.58 miles away800 East 28th Street Minneapolis Minnesota 55407Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 863-4457
- North Memorial HealthAcute Care Hospitals 11.92 miles away3300 Oakdale North Minneapolis Minnesota 55422Voluntary non-profit - Private(763) 520-5200
- Fmc Dialysis - Roseville1.43 miles away2045 Rice St Saint Paul Minnesota 55113Dialysis Stations: 13 (651) 489-3312
- Davita Phalen Dialysis2.73 miles away863 Arcade St Saint Paul Minnesota 55106Dialysis Stations: 12 (651) 776-0466
- Capitol Dialysis of Davita3.1 miles away555 Park St, Suite 230 Saint Paul Minnesota 55103Dialysis Stations: 16 (651) 221-3318
- Capitol Home Program of Davita - Hemo Unit3.1 miles away555 Park Street Suite 210, Hemo Unit Saint Paul Minnesota 55103Dialysis Stations: 4 (651) 221-0896
- St Paul Dialysis of Davita3.1 miles away555 Park St, Suite 180 Saint Paul Minnesota 55103CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (651) 291-8855
- Maplewood Dialysis of Davita3.38 miles away2785 White Bear Ave, Suite 201 Saint Paul Minnesota 55109Dialysis Stations: 16 (651) 779-2222
- Davita - Larpenteur Ave Dialysis3.39 miles away1739 Lexington Ave N Saint Paul Minnesota 55113Dialysis Stations: 12 (651) 489-9260
- Fmc - Maplewood Heights3.4 miles away1725 Legacy Pkwy E Ste 200 Saint Paul Minnesota 55109CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (651) 748-7989