Good Samaritan Society - Maplewood is a small non-profit facility located in Saint Paul, Minnesota. Featuring an overall rating of A+, this nursing home is ranked among the highest-rated facilities we assessed. We simply can not say enough good things about this facility. Scroll down to find this place's category grades, which also impressed us. You just can't do much better than a straight A profile.
Good Samaritan Society - Maplewood
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
Top Nursing Home in Minnesota Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Minnesota Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Minnesota Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a quality nursing home is that it received an A+ inspection grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this critical category. Our inspection ratings account for a host of factors included in a facility's inspection report. One key criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with higher scores in this category usually have few severe deficiencies. Amazingly, this was one of the few nursing homes in the country that had no deficiencies whatsoever on its inspection report. This is very impressive. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also received an A+ for its short-term care grade. Short-term care grades are typically employed to gauge a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation. To offer highly rated rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally must have higher levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other types of therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 6.4 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Good Samaritan Society - Maplewood?
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on our next category, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for its long-term care grade. This is a very strong score. Nursing homes that excel in long-term care typically are well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to patients. After looking at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 96.75325 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping residents out of the hospital. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
In the last category we assessed, this facility was awarded a very strong grade of A in our nursing category. With this grade, the nursing home finished off a straight A profile. Our nursing rating focuses on the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. We factor in both the levels of licensure of those nurses as well as the quantity of hours spent with patients. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as employing a protocol of moving patients more often.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Good Samaritan Society - Maplewood Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Good Samaritan Society - Maplewood, 6.69% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Good Samaritan Society - Maplewood, 4.21% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents who have had a fall which resulted in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Good Samaritan Society - Maplewood, 2.83% of Patients had UTIs
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term care patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's could be an indicator of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this metric can also be misleading for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Good Samaritan Society - Maplewood, 16.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who were administered antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such medications aren't medically indicated. However, some nursing homes need to rely more on these drugs due to having more patients with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Good Samaritan Society - Maplewood, 12.33% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are given to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Good Samaritan Society - Maplewood, 4.58% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents showing depressive symptoms. Some experts believe that this is a measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Good Samaritan Society - Maplewood, 93.31% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Good Samaritan Society - Maplewood, 13.09% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Good Samaritan Society - Maplewood, 18.07% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of patients that maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Good Samaritan Society - Maplewood, 18.07 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Good Samaritan Society - Maplewood, 12.51 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to measure short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Good Samaritan Society - Maplewood, 76.76% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry believe that this is a measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Saint Paul, MN
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Saint Paul, Minnesota has 30 other nursing homes
- Healtheast St John's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.95 miles away1575 Beam Avenue Saint Paul Minnesota 55109Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 232-7000
- Regions HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.16 miles away640 Jackson Street Saint Paul Minnesota 55101Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 254-1616
- United HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.23 miles away333 North Smith Avenue Saint Paul Minnesota 55102Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 241-8810
- University of Minnesota Medical Center, FairviewAcute Care Hospitals 8.15 miles away2450 Riverside Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55454Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 273-3000
- Hennepin County Medical Center 1Acute Care Hospitals 9.21 miles away701 Park Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55415Government - Local(612) 873-3629
- Children's Hospitals & Clinics of MnChildrens 9.5 miles away2525 Chicago Avenue South Minneapolis Minnesota 55404Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 813-6112
- Abbott Northwestern HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.58 miles away800 East 28th Street Minneapolis Minnesota 55407Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 863-4457
- North Memorial HealthAcute Care Hospitals 11.92 miles away3300 Oakdale North Minneapolis Minnesota 55422Voluntary non-profit - Private(763) 520-5200
- Fmc Dialysis - Roseville1.43 miles away2045 Rice St Saint Paul Minnesota 55113Dialysis Stations: 13 (651) 489-3312
- Davita Phalen Dialysis2.73 miles away863 Arcade St Saint Paul Minnesota 55106Dialysis Stations: 12 (651) 776-0466
- Capitol Dialysis of Davita3.1 miles away555 Park St, Suite 230 Saint Paul Minnesota 55103Dialysis Stations: 16 (651) 221-3318
- Capitol Home Program of Davita - Hemo Unit3.1 miles away555 Park Street Suite 210, Hemo Unit Saint Paul Minnesota 55103Dialysis Stations: 4 (651) 221-0896
- St Paul Dialysis of Davita3.1 miles away555 Park St, Suite 180 Saint Paul Minnesota 55103CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (651) 291-8855
- Maplewood Dialysis of Davita3.38 miles away2785 White Bear Ave, Suite 201 Saint Paul Minnesota 55109Dialysis Stations: 16 (651) 779-2222
- Davita - Larpenteur Ave Dialysis3.39 miles away1739 Lexington Ave N Saint Paul Minnesota 55113Dialysis Stations: 12 (651) 489-9260
- Fmc - Maplewood Heights3.4 miles away1725 Legacy Pkwy E Ste 200 Saint Paul Minnesota 55109CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (651) 748-7989