Good Samaritan Society - Maplewood is a small non-profit facility located in Saint Paul, Minnesota. Featuring an overall rating of A+, this nursing home is ranked among the highest-rated facilities we assessed. We simply can not say enough good things about this facility. Scroll down to find this place's category grades, which also impressed us. You just can't do much better than a straight A profile.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Good Samaritan Society - Maplewood
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Saint Paul senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Minnesota Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Minnesota Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Minnesota Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a quality nursing home is that it received an A+ inspection grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this critical category. Our inspection ratings account for a host of factors included in a facility's inspection report. One key criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with higher scores in this category usually have few severe deficiencies. Amazingly, this was one of the few nursing homes in the country that had no deficiencies whatsoever on its inspection report. This is very impressive. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also received an A+ for its short-term care grade. Short-term care grades are typically employed to gauge a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation. To offer highly rated rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally must have higher levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other types of therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 6.3 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Good Samaritan Society - Maplewood?
To complement its strong performance in other areas, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. The nursing rating consists of several factors, but the main consideration is the quantity of nurse hours spent with patients. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
In the last category, this facility also was awarded a first-rate long-term care score, with a grade of A. This completed an elusive straight A report card. When facilities receive this type of grade in long-term care it is typically a good sign for patient care and indicates that the place is well-staffed with nurses aids. Once we looked at the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 99.42197 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients out of the hospital. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Good Samaritan Society - Maplewood Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Good Samaritan Society - Maplewood, 6.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that suffer from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We factor in this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Good Samaritan Society - Maplewood, 1.73% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a fall leading to major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Good Samaritan Society - Maplewood, 0.58% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care. More frequent bathing can limit the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Keep in mind that this statistic is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Good Samaritan Society - Maplewood, 14.45% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are given to patients for many medical conditions, such as dementia. Tragically, in limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Good Samaritan Society - Maplewood, 3.03% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients given antianxiety drugs. These medications are given to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Good Samaritan Society - Maplewood, 3.75% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents demonstrating signs of depression. Many would argue that this is a reliable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Good Samaritan Society - Maplewood, 98.04% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Good Samaritan Society - Maplewood, 13.75% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and bathing. Many in the industry believe this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Good Samaritan Society - Maplewood, 19.64% of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that maintained mobility.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Good Samaritan Society - Maplewood, 19.64% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Good Samaritan Society - Maplewood, 13.76% of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Good Samaritan Society - Maplewood, 69.82% of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with activities of daily living usually correlates with superior rehabilitation.
Scores for Saint Paul, MN
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Saint Paul, Minnesota has 30 other nursing homes
- Healtheast St John's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.95 miles away1575 Beam Avenue Saint Paul Minnesota 55109Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 232-7000
- Regions HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.16 miles away640 Jackson Street Saint Paul Minnesota 55101Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 254-1616
- United HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.23 miles away333 North Smith Avenue Saint Paul Minnesota 55102Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 241-8810
- University of Minnesota Medical Center, FairviewAcute Care Hospitals 8.15 miles away2450 Riverside Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55454Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 273-3000
- Hennepin County Medical Center 1Acute Care Hospitals 9.21 miles away701 Park Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55415Government - Local(612) 873-3629
- Children's Hospitals & Clinics of MnChildrens 9.5 miles away2525 Chicago Avenue South Minneapolis Minnesota 55404Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 813-6112
- Abbott Northwestern HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.58 miles away800 East 28th Street Minneapolis Minnesota 55407Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 863-4457
- North Memorial HealthAcute Care Hospitals 11.92 miles away3300 Oakdale North Minneapolis Minnesota 55422Voluntary non-profit - Private(763) 520-5200
- Fmc Dialysis - Roseville1.43 miles away2045 Rice St Saint Paul Minnesota 55113Dialysis Stations: 13 (651) 489-3312
- Davita Phalen Dialysis2.73 miles away863 Arcade St Saint Paul Minnesota 55106Dialysis Stations: 12 (651) 776-0466
- Capitol Dialysis of Davita3.1 miles away555 Park St, Suite 230 Saint Paul Minnesota 55103Dialysis Stations: 16 (651) 221-3318
- Capitol Home Program of Davita - Hemo Unit3.1 miles away555 Park Street Suite 210, Hemo Unit Saint Paul Minnesota 55103Dialysis Stations: 4 (651) 221-0896
- St Paul Dialysis of Davita3.1 miles away555 Park St, Suite 180 Saint Paul Minnesota 55103CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (651) 291-8855
- Maplewood Dialysis of Davita3.38 miles away2785 White Bear Ave, Suite 201 Saint Paul Minnesota 55109Dialysis Stations: 16 (651) 779-2222
- Davita - Larpenteur Ave Dialysis3.39 miles away1739 Lexington Ave N Saint Paul Minnesota 55113Dialysis Stations: 12 (651) 489-9260
- Fmc - Maplewood Heights3.4 miles away1725 Legacy Pkwy E Ste 200 Saint Paul Minnesota 55109CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (651) 748-7989