Good Samaritan Society - Ambassador is an average-sized non-profit nursing home located in Minneapolis, Minnesota. It looks like this nursing home is among the best nursing homes we looked at. It was given one of the best ratings we offer. Even with Minneapolis having 52 other nursing homes to select from, this one jumped off the page as a first-rate selection. If you look below, you will see this facility's category grades, which are also quite good.
Good Samaritan Society - Ambassador
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Top Nursing Home in Minnesota Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Minnesota Awards 2020
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. Perhaps the most important factor we look at in calculating our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Facilities with higher grades in this area typically avoided the more severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. We weren't able to track down deficiency counts for this nursing home. Without having the information regarding deficiencies for this facility, it was challenging to really evaluate the place in the inspections category.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was given an A+ for its short-term care grade. In determining our short-term care ratings, we look at the facility's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This score is generally a useful assessment of a facility's rehabilitation. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the number of residents who ultimately were able to return home from this facility. We found that 5.7 percent of this nursing home's residents were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Good Samaritan Society - Ambassador?
Adding to its impressive resume, this nursing home also excelled in our nursing category. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A for that category. We analyzed the levels of nurses at the nursing home, in addition to the number of hours the nurses spent with residents, in calculating our score in this category. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as by having a policy of turning residents more frequently.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the fourth area, this facility was awarded a strong long-term care rating. In fact, we awarded it a grade of B+ in that area, finishing off one of our more favorable profiles. Nursing homes that excel in long-term care tend to provide residents with closer supervision and stay on top of routine medical care. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is far higher than the average nursing home. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Good Samaritan Society - Ambassador Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Good Samaritan Society - Ambassador, 6.69% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure measures the percent of long-term stay residents which developed new or worsened pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a reliable measure of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Good Samaritan Society - Ambassador, 4.21% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents who have had a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are considered by many experts to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls which result in injury are often caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Good Samaritan Society - Ambassador, 2.83% of Patients had UTIs
This figure gauges the percent of long-term stay patients who have suffered from urinary tract infections. UTI's may be a sign of worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this metric may also be misleading for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Good Samaritan Society - Ambassador, 16.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. These drugs are used to treat a variety of medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Good Samaritan Society - Ambassador, 12.33% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents given antianxiety drugs. These medications are used to treat patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Good Samaritan Society - Ambassador, 4.58% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Good Samaritan Society - Ambassador, 93.31% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Good Samaritan Society - Ambassador, 13.09% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and eating. Some believe this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Good Samaritan Society - Ambassador, 18.07% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Good Samaritan Society - Ambassador, 18.07 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Good Samaritan Society - Ambassador, 12.51 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Good Samaritan Society - Ambassador, 76.76% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reasonable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Minneapolis, MN
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Minneapolis, Minnesota has 51 other nursing homes
- North Memorial HealthAcute Care Hospitals 3.06 miles away3300 Oakdale North Minneapolis Minnesota 55422Voluntary non-profit - Private(763) 520-5200
- Park Nicollet Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.64 miles away6500 Excelsior Blvd Minneapolis Minnesota 55426Voluntary non-profit - Private(952) 993-5000
- Hennepin County Medical Center 1Acute Care Hospitals 6.34 miles away701 Park Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55415Government - Local(612) 873-3629
- Children's Hospitals & Clinics of MnChildrens 6.86 miles away2525 Chicago Avenue South Minneapolis Minnesota 55404Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 813-6112
- Abbott Northwestern HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.03 miles away800 East 28th Street Minneapolis Minnesota 55407Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 863-4457
- University of Minnesota Medical Center, FairviewAcute Care Hospitals 7.63 miles away2450 Riverside Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55454Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 273-3000
- Fairview Southdale HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.78 miles away6401 France Avenue South Minneapolis Minnesota 55435Voluntary non-profit - Private(952) 924-5100
- Maple Grove HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.9 miles away9875 Hospital Drive Osseo Minnesota 55369Voluntary non-profit - Private(763) 581-1000
- Fmc Dialysis - Golden Valley1.28 miles away6155 Duluth St Minneapolis Minnesota 55422Dialysis Stations: 18 (763) 544-0298
- Fmc - Robbinsdale Dialysis2.81 miles away4094 Lakeland Ave N Minneapolis Minnesota 55422Dialysis Stations: 24 (763) 533-3759
- Robbinsdale Dialysis of Davita2.97 miles away3461 W Broadway Ave Minneapolis Minnesota 55422Dialysis Stations: 16 (763) 521-4865
- Davita - New Hope3.43 miles away5640 International Pkwy Minneapolis Minnesota 55428Dialysis Stations: 12 (763) 537-0300
- Fmc - Plymouth Creek3.94 miles away3007 Harbor Ln N Ste 100 Minneapolis Minnesota 55447Dialysis Stations: 17 (763) 559-0980
- St Louis Park Dialysis of Davita4.73 miles away3505 Louisiana Ave S Minneapolis Minnesota 55426Dialysis Stations: 28 (952) 285-1400
- Fresenius - St Louis Park Dialysis4.98 miles away5680 36th St W Minneapolis Minnesota 55416Dialysis Stations: 12 (952) 926-0959
- Fmc - Maple Grove Dialysis5.73 miles away7365 Kirkwood Ct N, Ste 135 Osseo Minnesota 55369Dialysis Stations: 12 (763) 494-0316