Golden State Colonial Healthcare Center is one of six available nursing homes located in North Hollywood, California. We awarded this facility an overall score of B+, resulting in it being the highest rated facility in North Hollywood. This nursing home truly has plenty of good features. We were also pleased to find that this place didn't have any poor grades in any of the four major categories. More information about its category grades can be found below.
Golden State Colonial Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
On top of being a first rate facility overall, this nursing home also fared well in our long-term care category, where it received an A+. Few facilities fared better in this area. Facilities that excel in long-term care typically provide patients with better supervision and stay on top of routine medical care. After assessing the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination data. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients healthy. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
In addition, this nursing home also performed well in inspections, which is based on its recent government inspections. We awarded it an A for that area. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing these inspection ratings. One of those factors is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some deficiencies end up being relatively minor. While this nursing home had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Golden State Colonial Healthcare Center?
This nursing home also received a strong nursing score. In fact, we awarded it an above average grade of B in this area. Our nursing category consists of several factors, most of which are based on quantities of nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as employing a system of moving a patient more often.
Short-term Care Quality
The last area we scored is short-term care. In that area, we awarded this facility an acceptable grade of C. This ended up being this nursing home's least impressive category. Short-term care grades are often used to grade a facility's performance with rehabilitation. In order to have highly rated rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally must feature better levels of highly skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other types of therapists. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like this nursing home provided information about its staffing of registered nurses or physical therapists. The final metric we looked at in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that just 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Golden State Colonial Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Golden State Colonial Healthcare Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Golden State Colonial Healthcare Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a fall which resulted in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Golden State Colonial Healthcare Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely associated with a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint may also be skewed for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Golden State Colonial Healthcare Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many patients, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Golden State Colonial Healthcare Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term care residents who are prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are commonly used to treat residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Golden State Colonial Healthcare Center, 4.64% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients who are exhibiting signs of depression. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reasonable measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Golden State Colonial Healthcare Center, 95.44% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Golden State Colonial Healthcare Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate the decline of a patient's well-being.
In Golden State Colonial Healthcare Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Golden State Colonial Healthcare Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Golden State Colonial Healthcare Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Golden State Colonial Healthcare Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reliable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for North Hollywood, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? North Hollywood, California has 5 other nursing homes
- Providence Saint Joseph Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 2.73 miles away501 South Buena Vista Street Burbank California 91505Voluntary non-profit - Church(818) 843-5111
- Pacifica Hospital of the ValleyAcute Care Hospitals 4.61 miles away9449 San Fernando Rd Sun Valley California 91352Proprietary(818) 767-3310
- Sherman Oaks HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.83 miles away4929 Van Nuys Blvd Sherman Oaks California 91403Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 981-7111
- Southern California Hospital at HollywoodAcute Care Hospitals 6.28 miles away6245 De Longpre Ave Los Angeles California 90028Proprietary(323) 462-2271
- Children's Hosp of Los AngelesChildrens 7.19 miles away4650 Sunset Blvd, Ms 108 Los Angeles California 90027Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 669-2164
- Cedars-Sinai Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.21 miles away8700 Beverly Blvd Los Angeles California 90048Voluntary non-profit - Other(310) 423-5000
- Glendale Mem Hospital & Hlth CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.26 miles away1420 S Central Ave Glendale California 91204Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 502-1900
- Hollywood Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.27 miles away1300 N Vermont Ave Los Angeles California 90027Proprietary(213) 413-3000
- Davita-North Hollywood Dialysis1.77 miles away12126 Victory Blvd. North Hollywood California 91606CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (818) 980-5070
- Davita-Burbank Dialysis2.75 miles away1211 N. San Fernando Blvd. Burbank California 91504CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (818) 842-5576
- Fmc-Burbank2.84 miles away2031 Alameda Avenue, Suite 202 Burbank California 91506CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (818) 845-3830
- Laurel Canyon Dialysis, LLC4.14 miles away8987 Laurel Canyon Blvd. Sun Valley California 91352CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (818) 771-9950
- u.s. Renal Care Van Nuys Dialysis4.73 miles away14624 Sherman Way, Suite 106 Van Nuys California 91405CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (818) 994-2333
- u.s. Renal Care Sherman Oaks Dialysis4.85 miles away4955 Van Nuys Blvd., Suite 111 Sherman Oaks California 91403Dialysis Stations: 18 (818) 285-5913
- Davita Van Nuys Dialysis4.87 miles away14434 Sherman Way Van Nuys California 91405Dialysis Stations: 37 (818) 787-8225
- Fmc-Van Nuys5.05 miles away14812 Oxnard Street Van Nuys California 91411CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (818) 781-7888