Golden Palms Retirement & Health Center is a senior living facility in Harlingen, Texas. This city has a population of 87,263 people. Sporting an overall rating of B-, we graded this nursing home to be ranked among the three highest graded facilities in the city. Overall grades in this range are generally a good indicator of a decent nursing home. This place seems to have a few things going for it. The best part of this nursing home's report card was its exemplary inspection score. We discuss inspections in the next paragraph.
Golden Palms Retirement & Health Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
2101 Treasure Hills Blvd,
Harlingen TX 78550
77% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
The main reason this turned out to be a decent nursing home is that it earned an excellent inspection score. In fact, its inspection score was far better than its overall grade. In the inspections category, we gave this facility an A+. Perhaps the most significant factor we consider in calculating our inspection grades is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with better grades in this category typically dodged the most severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. While this nursing home had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G through L. This tells you the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Remember that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in the industry.
Short-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's more favorable category grades came in the area of short-term care. In that area, we gave this nursing home a grade of B+. It actually outperformed most nursing homes in this category. In our short-term care category, we endeavor to craft a meaningful barometer for rehabilitation services. In this process, we look at the nursing home's offerings of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. We were extremely impressed to find that this facility offers its residents substantially more physical therapist hours than most other nursing homes. Finally, we looked at the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that it outperformed the vast majority of nursing homes in the country with 73.9 percent of its residents returning home. This is a significantly higher rate than most nursing homes.
Does this page answer your questions about Golden Palms Retirement & Health Center?
Long-term Care Quality
The third category we looked at was long-term care, where this facility received a C in this category. In computing our long-term care grades, we analyze the facility's personal care services. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 86.666664 percent of its patients. This is many points less than what we expected. On a more positive note, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
The last category we graded is nursing. We awarded it a grade of C in this area. This is a perfectly acceptable grade in this area. Nursing grades are mostly associated with a nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 3.2 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, our nursing scores also factor in quality-based measures, such as avoiding major falls. Despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours per resident, this facility performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is usually an indicator that a nursing home has quality controls in place. Many falls could be avoided if a facility supplies enough nurses aids to assist its patients.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Golden Palms Retirement & Health Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Golden Palms Retirement & Health Center, 7.96% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a measure of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Golden Palms Retirement & Health Center, 3.3% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are considered to be an indicator of nursing care . Major falls leading to injury are often the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Golden Palms Retirement & Health Center, 1.63% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Golden Palms Retirement & Health Center, 11.7% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. These drugs are sometimes used to treat a variety of medical conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Golden Palms Retirement & Health Center, 22.57% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are given to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Golden Palms Retirement & Health Center, 4.7% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients demonstrating depressive symptoms. Some believe that this is a measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Golden Palms Retirement & Health Center, 95.06% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care residents that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home residents, making these vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Golden Palms Retirement & Health Center, 17.37% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Golden Palms Retirement & Health Center, 11.91 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Golden Palms Retirement & Health Center, 66.67% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Harlingen, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Harlingen, Texas has 5 other nursing homes
- Vhs Harlingen Hospital Company LLCAcute Care Hospitals 0.27 miles away2101 Pease St Harlingen Texas 78550Proprietary(956) 389-1100
- Harlingen Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.36 miles away5501 South Expressway 77 Harlingen Texas 78550Proprietary(956) 365-1000
- Rio Grande State CenterPsychiatric 2.77 miles away1401 Rangerville Road Harlingen Texas 78550Government - State(956) 364-8000
- Knapp Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.61 miles away1401 East Eight Street Weslaco Texas 78596Voluntary non-profit - Private(956) 968-8567
- Valley Baptist Medical Center- BrownsvilleAcute Care Hospitals 19.99 miles away1040 W Jefferson St Brownsville Texas 78520Proprietary(956) 544-1400
- Valley Baptist Harlingen Dialysis0.14 miles away2220 Haine Drive, Suite 40 Harlingen Texas 78550CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 48 (956) 364-2789
- Fmc Harlingen0.29 miles away1653 Treasure Hills Blvd. Harlingen Texas 78552Dialysis Stations: 12 (956) 412-1097
- Treasure Hills Dialysis0.31 miles away1629 Treasure Hills Blvd Suite 8 Harlingen Texas 78550Dialysis Stations: 13 (956) 364-2120
- Harlingen Dialysis1.07 miles away4302 Sesame Drive Harlingen Texas 78550CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (956) 365-4103
- Us Renal Care San Benito Dialysis4.05 miles away910 North Mccullough Street San Benito Texas 78586CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (956) 399-4037
- Renal Treatment Centers of Southeast, Lp15.61 miles away1307 Cameron St Mercedes Texas 78570Dialysis Stations: 21 (956) 514-2596
- Nri Brownsville18.52 miles away2945 Central Blvd Brownsville Texas 78520CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (956) 542-8094
- Fmc Dialysis Services of North Brownsville18.82 miles away1900 N. Expressway, Suite E Brownsville Texas 78521CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (956) 504-5045