Located in Shafter, California, Golden Livingcenter - Shafter is the sole nursing home we found there. With a rock bottom overall grade of F, this nursing home didn't fare well in our assessment. As far as we can see, you'd be better off to steer clear of this facility. We wouldn't blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this place's category grades, long-term care grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Golden Livingcenter - Shafter
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
140 East Tulare Avenue,
Shafter CA 93263
94.64% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
In addition to receiving a poor overall score, we also gave this facility poor scores in the various categories. In fact, it only received a D for its long-term care grade, which was its best area. In a long-term care setting, the facility's primary objective is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. One of the datapoints we considered after nursing hours was vaccinations. Thankfully, this nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccination to 100 percent of its patients. To our surprise, this facility was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had just 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
This facility excelled in our nursing category, where it received an D. There are quite a few subcategories included in this area. Many of the criteria relate to staffing levels. This nursing home averaged a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This is not a very impressive figure. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing ratings. This facility fared well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Does this page answer your questions about Golden Livingcenter - Shafter?
We wanted to point out this facility's inspection rating where it received a lowly F. This typically means we found red flags on its government inspections. We would advise paying close attention to any deficiencies on a facility's inspection reports when it receives this bad of an inspection grade. We recommend you scrutinize the level of severity of the deficiencies. This facility was hit with 7 deficiencies by government inspectors. The only positive thing we found is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that indicate that they caused a risk to resident safety or health. Finally, we need to draw your attention to the fact that this nursing home received significant government fines exceeding $50,000. This generally signifies that inspectors grew tired after multiple years of bad health inspections.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the last area, this facility really didn't perform very well in this category either. Due to a poor grade of F in short-term care, this is really as terrible as it gets. Our short-term care grades are believed to be most important for people in need of rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation generally utilizes higher levels of highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means not merely nursing, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Not surprisingly, we found that this place provides substantially less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than a typical facility. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. This was not a strength for this nursing home. We found that just 4.8 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home. At most nursing homes, around half of their patients are able to return home so this is well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Golden Livingcenter - Shafter Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Golden Livingcenter - Shafter, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Golden Livingcenter - Shafter, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic measures the percent of long-term patients which had falls leading to serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Golden Livingcenter - Shafter, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely the result of worse hygiene protocols. Better hygiene protocols reduces the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. We want to point out that this statistic is affected by by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Golden Livingcenter - Shafter, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure measures the percentage of long-term stay patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Golden Livingcenter - Shafter, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Golden Livingcenter - Shafter, 4.64% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who are showing signs of depression. Higher rates of depression may indicate lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Golden Livingcenter - Shafter, 95.44% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Golden Livingcenter - Shafter, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could indicate the decline of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Golden Livingcenter - Shafter, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents who maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Golden Livingcenter - Shafter, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Golden Livingcenter - Shafter, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Golden Livingcenter - Shafter, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Golden Livingcenter - Shafter, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Bakersfield Heart HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.83 miles away3001 Sillect Avenue Bakersfield California 93308Proprietary(661) 316-6000
- Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.96 miles away2215 Truxtun Avenue Bakersfield California 93301Voluntary non-profit - Other(661) 632-5000
- Adventist Health BakersfieldAcute Care Hospitals 17 miles away2615 Chester Avenue Bakersfield California 93301Voluntary non-profit - Private(661) 395-3000
- Bakersfield Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.33 miles away420 34th St Bakersfield California 93301Voluntary non-profit - Private(661) 327-1792
- Delano Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.7 miles away1401 Garces Highway Delano California 93215Proprietary(661) 725-4800
- Kern Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.61 miles away1700 Mount Vernon Avenue Bakersfield California 93306Government - Hospital District or Authority(661) 326-2000
- Davita-Rose Point Dialysis6.57 miles away400 Palm Ave Wasco California 93280Dialysis Stations: 16 (661) 758-2360
- Davita-Riverlakes Home Training13.01 miles away3933 Coffee Road, Suite A Bakersfield California 93308Dialysis Stations: 7 (661) 588-2326
- Fmc-Meadows Field13.02 miles away3101 Pegasus Drive, Suite 100 Bakersfield California 93308Dialysis Stations: 21 (661) 615-4200
- Davita-Brimhall Dialysis14.12 miles away8501 Brimhall Road, Bldg. 500 Bakersfield California 93312CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (661) 387-6603
- Davita-Casa Del Rio Home Training14.25 miles away8331 Brimhall Road Building 900, Suite 902 Bakersfield California 93312Dialysis Stations: 8 (661) 387-6405
- Fmc-Bakersfield15.34 miles away8625 Liberty Park Drive, Suite 102 Bakersfield California 93311CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (661) 664-0158
- Davita-Bakersfield Dialysis Center15.78 miles away5143 Office Park Drive Bakersfield California 93309CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 76 (661) 325-4741
- Davita-Seven Oaks Dialysis15.96 miles away4651 Corporate Court Bakersfield California 93311Dialysis Stations: 24 (661) 664-5887