Located in Shafter, California, Golden Livingcenter - Shafter is the sole nursing home we found there. With a rock bottom overall grade of F, this nursing home didn't fare well in our assessment. As far as we can see, you'd be better off to steer clear of this facility. We wouldn't blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this place's category grades, long-term care grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Golden Livingcenter - Shafter
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Shafter senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
Although we gave this facility a terrible overall grade, we awarded it a grade of C for our long-term care rating. Long-term care grades focus on a facility's assistance with daily living instead of the skilled therapy or healthcare services that are critical to a skilled nursing facility. One of the datapoints we considered in addition to nursing hours was vaccinations. Thankfully, this nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccination to 100 percent of its patients. This place also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Unfortunately, this facility received an F for its inspection grade. This is a particularly important category. Grades in this range generally point to some red flags on the facility's government inspection reports. With places that received this poor of an inspection rating, we recommend scrutinizing any severe deficiencies on its inspection report. This particular nursing home was hit with 7 deficiencies by government inspectors. The only positive thing we found is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that suggest they created a risk to resident safety or health. Lastly, we also would like to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received large government fines recently amounting to more than $100,000. This generally signifies that a poor performance spanned multiple years.
Does this page answer your questions about Golden Livingcenter - Shafter?
Among this nursing home's several poor grades was its F in the area of nursing care. Our nursing score analyzes the facility's level of nurse staffing. We weigh both the levels of licensure of those nurses as well as the amount of time spent with residents. This nursing home provides 0.2 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing scores. This place fared well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these datapoints to be good measures of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to our fourth category, this nursing home really didn't perform well in this category either. With an abysmal grade of F in short-term care, this is just about as as uninspiring as it gets. Our short-term care ratings are probably more critical for residents in need of rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation usually utilizes additional highly-skilled nursing. This means not only nursing, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of residents who who were able to eventually return home from this nursing home. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4.8 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Golden Livingcenter - Shafter Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Golden Livingcenter - Shafter, 2.78% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term care patients who suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Golden Livingcenter - Shafter, 3.6% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of long-term care patients who experienced a fall which resulted in severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Golden Livingcenter - Shafter, 0% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many experts to be an indicator of nursing care . UTI's are routinely the result of a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this datapoint could be misleading for some facilities due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Golden Livingcenter - Shafter, 7.44% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term patients which are given antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior in situations where such medications aren't medically required. Nevertheless, some nursing homes need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of patients with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Golden Livingcenter - Shafter, 20.29% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Golden Livingcenter - Shafter, 44.27% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Golden Livingcenter - Shafter, 100% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Golden Livingcenter - Shafter, 4.96% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of the deterioration of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Golden Livingcenter - Shafter, 10.52% of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Golden Livingcenter - Shafter, 0.03 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Golden Livingcenter - Shafter, 10.52% of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Golden Livingcenter - Shafter, 16.79% of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Golden Livingcenter - Shafter, 61.98% of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Bakersfield Heart HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.83 miles away3001 Sillect Avenue Bakersfield California 93308Proprietary(661) 316-6000
- Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.96 miles away2215 Truxtun Avenue Bakersfield California 93301Voluntary non-profit - Other(661) 632-5000
- Adventist Health BakersfieldAcute Care Hospitals 17 miles away2615 Chester Avenue Bakersfield California 93301Voluntary non-profit - Private(661) 395-3000
- Bakersfield Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.33 miles away420 34th St Bakersfield California 93301Voluntary non-profit - Private(661) 327-1792
- Delano Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.7 miles away1401 Garces Highway Delano California 93215Proprietary(661) 725-4800
- Kern Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.61 miles away1700 Mount Vernon Avenue Bakersfield California 93306Government - Hospital District or Authority(661) 326-2000
- Davita-Rose Point Dialysis6.57 miles away400 Palm Ave Wasco California 93280Dialysis Stations: 16 (661) 758-2360
- Davita-Riverlakes Home Training13.01 miles away3933 Coffee Road, Suite A Bakersfield California 93308Dialysis Stations: 7 (661) 588-2326
- Fmc-Meadows Field13.02 miles away3101 Pegasus Drive, Suite 100 Bakersfield California 93308Dialysis Stations: 21 (661) 615-4200
- Davita-Brimhall Dialysis14.12 miles away8501 Brimhall Road, Bldg. 500 Bakersfield California 93312CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (661) 387-6603
- Davita-Casa Del Rio Home Training14.25 miles away8331 Brimhall Road Building 900, Suite 902 Bakersfield California 93312Dialysis Stations: 8 (661) 387-6405
- Fmc-Bakersfield15.34 miles away8625 Liberty Park Drive, Suite 102 Bakersfield California 93311CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (661) 664-0158
- Davita-Bakersfield Dialysis Center15.78 miles away5143 Office Park Drive Bakersfield California 93309CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 76 (661) 325-4741
- Davita-Seven Oaks Dialysis15.96 miles away4651 Corporate Court Bakersfield California 93311Dialysis Stations: 24 (661) 664-5887