Located in Shafter, California, Golden Livingcenter - Shafter is the sole nursing home we found there. With a rock bottom overall grade of F, this nursing home didn't fare well in our assessment. As far as we can see, you'd be better off to steer clear of this facility. We wouldn't blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this place's category grades, nursing grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Golden Livingcenter - Shafter
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving a terrible overall score, we also gave this facility weak grades across the board in the various categories. It received just a D for its nursing score, which is its best category. Our nursing rating weighs several factors, however, the most important one is the number of nurse hours per patient per week. This place provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient daily, which is slightly below average. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these metrics to be reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Unfortunately, this nursing home didn't receive glowing inspections in recent years. We gave it a grade of just D for our inspections rating and that actually was its second best score. One of the more significant factors in evaluating inspection reports is deficiencies. We suggest you pay close attention to the severity of the deficiencies. This nursing home was assessed 7 deficiencies by CMS. The only positive thing we can say is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that indicate that they posed a risk to resident health or safety. Finally, we also want to draw your attention to the fact that this place was assessed large government fines recently of over $50,000. This typically indicates that CMS inspectors grew tired after multiple years of failed inspections.
Does this page answer your questions about Golden Livingcenter - Shafter?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's second least favorable score is long-term care, where it earned just a D in that area. This is a relatively poor grade. In a long-term care setting, the facility's primary goal is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. In addition to assessing the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. Fortunately, this nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients, which is an above average figure. Surprisingly, this nursing home was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. Sadly, a few of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
Short-term Care Quality
The final area we scored was short-term care. We gave it an F in this category, which is a rock bottom grade. In forming our short-term care grades, we quantify the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The goal is to devise a tool for comparing the rehabilitation services of different nursing homes. Not surprisingly, we discovered that this facility provides substantially less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than the typical facility. Finally, we assessed the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that just 3.2 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Golden Livingcenter - Shafter Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Golden Livingcenter - Shafter, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely the result of patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Golden Livingcenter - Shafter, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay residents who have sustained falls which resulted in severe injury. We use this statistic in calculating nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Golden Livingcenter - Shafter, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often the result of nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. Closer supervision limits the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Note that this metric is affected by by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Golden Livingcenter - Shafter, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure tells you the percent of long-term residents that were given antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such drugs aren't medically indicated. However, some facilities may need to rely more on these medications due to an increased number of patients with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Golden Livingcenter - Shafter, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are administered to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Golden Livingcenter - Shafter, 4.33% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents demonstrating depressive symptoms. Many in the industry argue that this is a reasonable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Golden Livingcenter - Shafter, 95.72% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Golden Livingcenter - Shafter, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Golden Livingcenter - Shafter, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that were able to retain mobility.
In Golden Livingcenter - Shafter, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Golden Livingcenter - Shafter, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Golden Livingcenter - Shafter, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Golden Livingcenter - Shafter, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Bakersfield Heart HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.83 miles away3001 Sillect Avenue Bakersfield California 93308Proprietary(661) 316-6000
- Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.96 miles away2215 Truxtun Avenue Bakersfield California 93301Voluntary non-profit - Other(661) 632-5000
- Adventist Health BakersfieldAcute Care Hospitals 17 miles away2615 Chester Avenue Bakersfield California 93301Voluntary non-profit - Private(661) 395-3000
- Bakersfield Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.33 miles away420 34th St Bakersfield California 93301Voluntary non-profit - Private(661) 327-1792
- Delano Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.7 miles away1401 Garces Highway Delano California 93215Proprietary(661) 725-4800
- Kern Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.61 miles away1700 Mount Vernon Avenue Bakersfield California 93306Government - Hospital District or Authority(661) 326-2000
- Davita-Rose Point Dialysis6.57 miles away400 Palm Ave Wasco California 93280Dialysis Stations: 16 (661) 758-2360
- Davita-Riverlakes Home Training13.01 miles away3933 Coffee Road, Suite A Bakersfield California 93308Dialysis Stations: 7 (661) 588-2326
- Fmc-Meadows Field13.02 miles away3101 Pegasus Drive, Suite 100 Bakersfield California 93308Dialysis Stations: 21 (661) 615-4200
- Davita-Brimhall Dialysis14.12 miles away8501 Brimhall Road, Bldg. 500 Bakersfield California 93312CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (661) 387-6603
- Davita-Casa Del Rio Home Training14.25 miles away8331 Brimhall Road Building 900, Suite 902 Bakersfield California 93312Dialysis Stations: 8 (661) 387-6405
- Fmc-Bakersfield15.34 miles away8625 Liberty Park Drive, Suite 102 Bakersfield California 93311CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (661) 664-0158
- Davita-Bakersfield Dialysis Center15.78 miles away5143 Office Park Drive Bakersfield California 93309CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 76 (661) 325-4741
- Davita-Seven Oaks Dialysis15.96 miles away4651 Corporate Court Bakersfield California 93311Dialysis Stations: 24 (661) 664-5887