Golden Livingcenter - Petaluma is a facility located in Petaluma, California, which has a population of 70,223 people. This facility received an overall grade of F. Petaluma received a city grade of B-, so there are some other options in the city worth looking at. We wouldn't blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this facility's category grades, inspection grades are discussed in the next section.
Golden Livingcenter - Petaluma
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
Registered Staff Hours
Although we gave this facility a terrible overall grade, we awarded it a grade of B- for our inspections rating. In fact, the facility received very impressive inspection report this year. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating these inspection grades. One of those factors is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more important than the number of deficiencies, as some deficiencies can be relatively minor. Fortunately, although this place had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G through L. This means the inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A couple minor deficiencies are not necessarily the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
Remarkably, we awarded this nursing home a grade of C for our short-term care score, which isn't too bad of a score. In the category of short-term care, we try to evaluate measures of a facility's rehabilitation services. We assess the facility's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. In this facility's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the typical facility. Finally, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 5.8 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their patients are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Golden Livingcenter - Petaluma?
Long-term Care Quality
Sadly, this nursing home's next highest category is long-term care. Nevertheless, with a grade of D in this area, it still fared somewhat badly. In a long-term care environment, the facility's primary objective is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. In addition to looking at the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is higher than the average nursing home. To our surprise, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home had fewer hospitalizations than the average nursing home. Sadly, some of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
Turning to our next area, this facility really didn't perform well in this category either. With a very poor grade of F in nursing, this is really as as uninspiring as it gets. We weighed the levels of nurses working for the facility, in addition to the number of hours those nurses worked with patients, in calculating our grade in this area. This nursing home provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient daily. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home fared well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Golden Livingcenter - Petaluma Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Golden Livingcenter - Petaluma, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Golden Livingcenter - Petaluma, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents which have had a fall which caused severe injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be a sign of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Golden Livingcenter - Petaluma, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Golden Livingcenter - Petaluma, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term residents which were given antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such drugs aren't medically required. However, some facilities need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of patients suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Golden Livingcenter - Petaluma, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are given to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Golden Livingcenter - Petaluma, 4.33% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who are showing signs of depression. Higher rates of depression could imply a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Golden Livingcenter - Petaluma, 95.72% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Golden Livingcenter - Petaluma, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Golden Livingcenter - Petaluma, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who were able to retain mobility. Many in the industry would argue that mobility is important for patients mental and physical well-being.
In Golden Livingcenter - Petaluma, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is critical to maintaining the physical well-being of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Golden Livingcenter - Petaluma, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Golden Livingcenter - Petaluma, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Golden Livingcenter - Petaluma, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of independence with activities of daily living typically correlates with successful rehabilitation services.
Scores for Petaluma, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Petaluma, California has 4 other nursing homes
- Petaluma Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.35 miles away400 N Mcdowell Blvd Petaluma California 94954Voluntary non-profit - Other(707) 778-1111
- Sonoma Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.95 miles away347 Andrieux St Sonoma California 95476Government - Hospital District or Authority(707) 935-5000
- Novato Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.67 miles away180 Rowland Way Novato California 94945Voluntary non-profit - Other(415) 209-1300
- Santa Rosa Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.66 miles away1165 Montgomery Dr Santa Rosa California 95405Voluntary non-profit - Private(707) 525-5300
- Sonoma Specialty HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.43 miles away501 Petaluma Avenue Sebastopol California 95472Government - Local(707) 823-8511
- Aurora Behavioral Healthcare-Santa Rosa, LLCPsychiatric 15.66 miles away1287 Fulton Road Santa Rosa California 95401Proprietary(707) 800-7700
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital-Santa RosaAcute Care Hospitals 15.87 miles away401 Bicentennial Way Santa Rosa California 95403Voluntary non-profit - Private(707) 571-4000
- Kaiser Foundation HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.05 miles away99 Montecillo Rd San Rafael California 94903Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 444-2000
- Davita Petaluma River Dialysis0.44 miles away417 N Mcdowell Blvd, Suite 30 Petaluma California 94954Dialysis Stations: 24 (707) 773-1293
- Fmc Petaluma0.97 miles away715 South Point Blvd., Suite A Petaluma California 94954CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (707) 765-9379
- Satellite Dialysis Rohnert Park7.98 miles away6265 Commerce Blvd Suite 156 Rohnert Park California 94928CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (707) 303-2040
- Satellite Dialysis Santa Rosa13.51 miles away2301 Circadian Way #C Santa Rosa California 95407CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 48 (707) 526-0717
- Bma Santa Rosa13.68 miles away1020 Second Street Santa Rosa California 95404CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (707) 527-5350
- Napa Dialysis Center17.77 miles away3900-C Bel Aire Plaza #C Napa California 94558CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (707) 253-8938
- Davita Santa Rosa Springs Dialysis18.03 miles away18 East Fulton Road Santa Rosa California 95403Dialysis Stations: 36 (707) 544-5043
- Northgate Dialysis Center18.05 miles away650 Las Gallinas Road San Rafael California 94903CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (415) 444-0376