Brickyard Healthcare - Willow Springs Care Center is a large facility in Indianapolis, Indiana. This facility received an uninspiring overall grade of D based on the data we looked at. In our view, we would struggle to recommend this nursing home. The best thing we can say about this place is that it didn't receive any F's in any of the categories we assessed. Additional information about these categories can be found below.
Brickyard Healthcare - Willow Springs Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
While we were not high on this nursing home overall, we awarded it a B+ for our inspections rating. This grade is far better than the place's overall grade. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in determining our inspection ratings. One of those factors is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more important than the number of deficiencies, as some deficiencies end up being quite insignificant. Although this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its report, none of them were serious based on CMS' scale. A couple minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
We also awarded this nursing home a respectable score in the area of short-term care, where we gave it a grade of C. Our short-term care grade is typically used to grade a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation. To provide highly graded rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to offer higher levels of skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other types of therapists. We found that this facility was below average in the two key staffing areas we focus on. In fact, it supplied fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. The last measure we looked at in this category is the number of residents who who were able to eventually return home from the facility. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Brickyard Healthcare - Willow Springs Care Center?
This nursing home actually received a decent grade in the area of nursing as well. We awarded it a grade of C for that category, which is not a bad score. The nursing rating weighs many datapoints. The most important one is the number of hours nurses spend with residents. This nursing home averages just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Lastly, we also assessed several nursing quality measures. While this facility got dinged a bit for nursing hours, it excelled in some of these quality measures. With less than five percent of its patients experiencing pressure ulcers, it fared well in this subcategory. This can be an indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as employing a system of turning residents at least once a day.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to our final area, we gave this facility a D in our long-term care category. This was the nursing home's weakest category rating. Nursing homes that do not score well in this category often do not provide as much nursing care and also may be struggling in some of the areas of routine personal care we assessed. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. As it turns out, this facility gave the vaccine to only 31.645569 percent of its patients, which is somewhat alarming. Surprisingly, this facility was actually decent at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.04 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This was its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brickyard Healthcare - Willow Springs Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brickyard Healthcare - Willow Springs Care Center, 7.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often caused by patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brickyard Healthcare - Willow Springs Care Center, 3.93% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents who have had a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are considered by many experts to be a measure of nursing care . Falls which result in injury are often caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brickyard Healthcare - Willow Springs Care Center, 1.87% of Patients had UTIs
This metric gauges the percent of long-term residents which experienced a UTI. While a higher rate infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it is difficult to compare different facilities due to reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brickyard Healthcare - Willow Springs Care Center, 13.18% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many patients, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brickyard Healthcare - Willow Springs Care Center, 21.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were given antianxiety medications. These medications are commonly used to treat residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brickyard Healthcare - Willow Springs Care Center, 12.89% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who are exhibiting signs of depression. Increased rates of depression could reveal lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brickyard Healthcare - Willow Springs Care Center, 91.48% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brickyard Healthcare - Willow Springs Care Center, 15.74% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brickyard Healthcare - Willow Springs Care Center, 15.7% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients who maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Brickyard Healthcare - Willow Springs Care Center, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brickyard Healthcare - Willow Springs Care Center, 15.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brickyard Healthcare - Willow Springs Care Center, 11.29 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brickyard Healthcare - Willow Springs Care Center, 73.78% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Indianapolis, IN
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Indianapolis, Indiana has 45 other nursing homes
- St Vincent Hospital & Health ServicesAcute Care Hospitals 0.01 miles away2001 W 86th St Indianapolis Indiana 46260Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 338-7000
- St Vincent Heart Center of Indiana LLCAcute Care Hospitals 2.7 miles away10580 N Meridian St Indianapolis Indiana 46290Proprietary(317) 583-5000
- Indiana University Health North HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.74 miles away11700 N Meridian St Carmel Indiana 46032Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 688-2000
- St Vincent Carmel Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 5.58 miles away13500 N Meridian St Carmel Indiana 46032Voluntary non-profit - Church(317) 582-7000
- Community Hospital NorthAcute Care Hospitals 8.13 miles away7150 Clearvista Dr Indianapolis Indiana 46256Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 621-5335
- Indiana University HealthAcute Care Hospitals 8.56 miles away1701 N Senate Blvd Indianapolis Indiana 46202Voluntary non-profit - Private(317) 962-5900
- Eskenazi HealthAcute Care Hospitals 9.18 miles away720 Eskenazi Avenue Indianapolis Indiana 46202Government - Local(317) 880-4818
- Neurodiagnostic InstitutePsychiatric 10.59 miles away5435 E 16th St Indianapolis Indiana 46218Government - State(317) 941-4000
- Fmc - Indianapolis-North0.81 miles away1225 W 86th Street Indianapolis Indiana 46260CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (317) 228-0169
- Nxkc Indianapolis Northwest, LLC1.51 miles away9101 N. Wesleyan Rd, Suite 115 Indianapolis Indiana 46268Dialysis Stations: 3 (317) 829-9770
- Davita Home Dialysis of Indianapolis2.16 miles away8803 N. Meridian Street Indianapolis Indiana 46260Dialysis Stations: 5 (317) 574-1798
- Fmc - Carmel4.49 miles away12400 North Meridian St., Ste 200 Carmel Indiana 46032Dialysis Stations: 12 (317) 575-8312
- Us Renal Care- Nw Indianapolis Renal Center4.55 miles away6488 Corporate Drive Indianapolis Indiana 46268CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (317) 328-9667
- Davita - Carmel Health and Living4.96 miles away118 Medical Drive, Suite 114 Carmel Indiana 46032Dialysis Stations: 6 (317) 844-9045
- Dialyze Direct in, LLC5.05 miles away13295 Illinois St. Carmel Indiana 46032Dialysis Stations: 1 (463) 219-0231
- Davita - Carmel Dialysis5.16 miles away180 East Carmel Drive Carmel Indiana 46032Dialysis Stations: 12 (317) 575-8916