With an address in Portage, Indiana, Brickyard Healthcare Portage Care Center is one of just a couple facilities in this city. This nursing home was given a bottom of the barrel overall rating based on the data we assessed. Based on our ratings, this nursing home probably isn't a fit for any prospective resident. Finally, inspections was the only shining light in this nursing home's profile. We provide additional information on this category below.
Brickyard Healthcare Portage Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
Although we gave this nursing home a poor overall grade, we gave it a B for our inspections category. This was the result of the facility receiving a decent government inspection report this year. Our inspection ratings are tied to datapoints found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are an important thing to look for on these reports. Most importantly, you should avoid nursing homes that have severe deficiencies associated with risks to resident well being. Fortunately, although this place had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G through L. This tells you that CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A few minor deficiencies are not the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
Sadly, this nursing home only received a grade of D for its long-term care rating, which was actually one of its more respectable category grades. When nursing homes receive this type of grade in this category it is a bad sign for patient care and it may indicate that the place is not as well-staffed. Once we finished looking at the volume of nursing care, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination records. Candidly, we were a bit bothered by the fact that this facility vaccinated just 90.79602 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Surprisingly, this place was actually decent at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.04 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. This was its best score in this category.
Does this page answer your questions about Brickyard Healthcare Portage Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Our next category we assessed is short-term care, in which this facility received an F. Short-term care ratings are based on a nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled nursing services. This means a vast scope of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, in addition to other variations of therapy. Not surprisingly, we discovered that this place offers significantly less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than the typical nursing home. Finally, we looked at the number of patients that returned home from this nursing home. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4.4 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was well off the national average.
The final category we scored is nursing. Sadly, it received an F for this area, which is a bottom of the barrel grade. In computing a nursing home's nursing grade, we weigh the quantity of hours nurses are with patients and the levels of training of those nurses. This facility offered only 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is well below average. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing ratings. This nursing home performed well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brickyard Healthcare Portage Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brickyard Healthcare Portage Care Center, 7.63% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can limit the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brickyard Healthcare Portage Care Center, 3.89% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of nursing care . Falls are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brickyard Healthcare Portage Care Center, 1.96% of Patients had UTIs
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who suffered from urinary tract infections. UTI's could be an indicator of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this statistic could also be skewed for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brickyard Healthcare Portage Care Center, 13.37% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are administered to residents for a variety of medical conditions, such as dementia. Unfortunately, in limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brickyard Healthcare Portage Care Center, 21.6% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term care residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brickyard Healthcare Portage Care Center, 12.38% of Patients
This is the percent of patients exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brickyard Healthcare Portage Care Center, 91.56% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brickyard Healthcare Portage Care Center, 16.12% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate erosion of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brickyard Healthcare Portage Care Center, 17.5% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents that remained mobile levels.
In Brickyard Healthcare Portage Care Center, 1.36 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is important to maintaining the physical health of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brickyard Healthcare Portage Care Center, 17.5 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brickyard Healthcare Portage Care Center, 11.23 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to assess patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brickyard Healthcare Portage Care Center, 73.53% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry believe this is a reasonable measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
- St Mary Medical Center IncAcute Care Hospitals 5.23 miles away1500 S Lake Park Ave Hobart Indiana 46342Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 942-0551
- Porter Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.67 miles away85 East Us Hwy 6 Valparaiso Indiana 46383Proprietary(219) 983-8300
- Methodist Hospitals IncAcute Care Hospitals 9.51 miles away600 Grant St Gary Indiana 46402Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 886-4000
- St Catherine Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 14.74 miles away4321 Fir St East Chicago Indiana 46312Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 392-7004
- Franciscan Health Crown PointAcute Care Hospitals 14.83 miles away1201 S Main St Crown Point Indiana 46307Voluntary non-profit - Church(219) 757-6100
- Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.83 miles away901 Macarthur Blvd Munster Indiana 46321Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 836-1600
- Franciscan Health MunsterAcute Care Hospitals 17.22 miles away701 Superior Ave Munster Indiana 46321Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 922-4200
- Franciscan Health HammondAcute Care Hospitals 18.01 miles away5454 Hohman Ave Hammond Indiana 46320Voluntary non-profit - Church(219) 932-2300
- Fmc - Portage Dialysis Center0.67 miles away5950 Us Highway 6 Portage Indiana 46368Dialysis Stations: 17 (219) 762-5731
- Davita - Portage0.79 miles away5823 Us Hwy 6 Portage Indiana 46368Dialysis Stations: 16 (219) 764-0564
- Dialysis Center of Portage LLC1.07 miles away5615 Us Highway 6 Portage Indiana 46368Dialysis Stations: 17 (219) 762-4848
- Fmc - Hobart5.52 miles away1330 S. Wisconsin Street Hobart Indiana 46342CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (219) 947-9289
- Davita - Chesterton6.7 miles away711 Plaza Drive, Suite 6 Chesterton Indiana 46304Dialysis Stations: 12 (219) 926-6049
- Dsi - Coffee Creek Dialysis6.95 miles away3100 Village Point, Suite 101 Chesterton Indiana 46304Dialysis Stations: 19 (219) 395-8020
- Davita - Gary8.33 miles away4802 Broadway Gary Indiana 46408CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (219) 887-1199
- Merrillville North Dialysis Center8.82 miles away6059 Broadway Merrillville Indiana 46410CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (219) 980-1090