Brickyard Healthcare Portage Care Center is a large nursing home located in Portage, Indiana. This facility was given a rock bottom overall grade based on the data we assessed. Based on our analysis, this facility likely isn't a fit for anyone. Finally, we were surprised to learn that this facility received a decent score in the area of long-term care. You can find more information on this category below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Brickyard Healthcare Portage Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Portage senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Although we gave this facility a terrible overall grade, we awarded it a B- for our inspections rating. In fact, the facility received very impressive inspection report this year. We believe that one of the most critical factors in assessing an inspection report is deficiencies. In this regard, we especially focus on the severity of the deficiencies. While this nursing home had some minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A few minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
Sadly, this nursing home only received a grade of D for its long-term care grade, which was actually one of its better category grades. Facilities that don't fare well in long-term care typically aren't as well-staffed and are lagging in some of the areas of routine healthcare services we looked at. After looking at the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination records. Unfortunately, this nursing home vaccinated a relatively low 81.818184 percent of its patients for pneumonia. To our surprise, this facility actually fared well at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had just 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This was its best feature in this category.
Does this page answer your questions about Brickyard Healthcare Portage Care Center?
We gave this facility a grade of just D for our nursing rating. There are a number of datapoints included in this category. Many of these subcategories reflect the quantity and quality of nurse staffing. This nursing home provided a meager 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing scores. This place performed well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these metrics to be measures of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The final area we rated was short-term care. This facility received a rock bottom grade of F in that area. In the category of short-term care, we seek to qualify measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We analyze a nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. The final datapoint we looked at in this category is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that just 4.1 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these poor statistics was damning for this facility's short-term care score.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Brickyard Healthcare Portage Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Brickyard Healthcare Portage Care Center, 4.29% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often caused by patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Brickyard Healthcare Portage Care Center, 4.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a fall resulting in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Brickyard Healthcare Portage Care Center, 0% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term patients that had UTI's. While a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it is problematic to compare between facilities due to differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Brickyard Healthcare Portage Care Center, 3.45% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term care patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior in situations where such drugs aren't medically required. Nevertheless, some facilities need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of residents suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Brickyard Healthcare Portage Care Center, 17.88% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Brickyard Healthcare Portage Care Center, 28.84% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Brickyard Healthcare Portage Care Center, 86.79% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Brickyard Healthcare Portage Care Center, 13.26% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could indicate deterioration of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Brickyard Healthcare Portage Care Center, 6.38% of Residents
This is the percentage of patients that remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Brickyard Healthcare Portage Care Center, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is typically a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Brickyard Healthcare Portage Care Center, 6.38% of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Brickyard Healthcare Portage Care Center, 14.1% of Patients
This is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Brickyard Healthcare Portage Care Center, 95.08% of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many would argue this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
- St Mary Medical Center IncAcute Care Hospitals 5.23 miles away1500 S Lake Park Ave Hobart Indiana 46342Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 942-0551
- Porter Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.67 miles away85 East Us Hwy 6 Valparaiso Indiana 46383Proprietary(219) 983-8300
- Methodist Hospitals IncAcute Care Hospitals 9.51 miles away600 Grant St Gary Indiana 46402Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 886-4000
- St Catherine Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 14.74 miles away4321 Fir St East Chicago Indiana 46312Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 392-7004
- Franciscan Health Crown PointAcute Care Hospitals 14.83 miles away1201 S Main St Crown Point Indiana 46307Voluntary non-profit - Church(219) 757-6100
- Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.83 miles away901 Macarthur Blvd Munster Indiana 46321Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 836-1600
- Franciscan Health MunsterAcute Care Hospitals 17.22 miles away701 Superior Ave Munster Indiana 46321Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 922-4200
- Franciscan Health HammondAcute Care Hospitals 18.01 miles away5454 Hohman Ave Hammond Indiana 46320Voluntary non-profit - Church(219) 932-2300
- Fmc - Portage Dialysis Center0.67 miles away5950 Us Highway 6 Portage Indiana 46368Dialysis Stations: 17 (219) 762-5731
- Davita - Portage0.79 miles away5823 Us Hwy 6 Portage Indiana 46368Dialysis Stations: 16 (219) 764-0564
- Dialysis Center of Portage LLC1.07 miles away5615 Us Highway 6 Portage Indiana 46368Dialysis Stations: 17 (219) 762-4848
- Fmc - Hobart5.52 miles away1330 S. Wisconsin Street Hobart Indiana 46342CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (219) 947-9289
- Davita - Chesterton6.7 miles away711 Plaza Drive, Suite 6 Chesterton Indiana 46304Dialysis Stations: 12 (219) 926-6049
- Dsi - Coffee Creek Dialysis6.95 miles away3100 Village Point, Suite 101 Chesterton Indiana 46304Dialysis Stations: 19 (219) 395-8020
- Davita - Gary8.33 miles away4802 Broadway Gary Indiana 46408CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (219) 887-1199
- Merrillville North Dialysis Center8.82 miles away6059 Broadway Merrillville Indiana 46410CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (219) 980-1090