Golden Gate Rehabilitation & Health Care Center is a facility in Staten Island, New York which has a total of 468,730 people. Featuring an overall grade of F, we consider this to be a lower end nursing home. Fortunately, this nursing home is one of 10 nursing homes in this city so if you aren't impressed, you should have better options. We would not blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this nursing home's category grades, we will discuss long-term care in the next paragraph.
Golden Gate Rehabilitation & Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Note: Golden Gate Rehabilitation & Health Care Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
Although we gave this facility a terrible overall grade, we awarded it a grade of B- for our long-term care rating. For long-term care residents, the facility's primary goal is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate residents. In addition to assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. Candidly, we were a bit bothered by the fact that this nursing home gave the vaccine to just 80.785416 percent of its patients. On a more positive note, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
This nursing home didn't perform terribly in the category of inspections. In fact, we gave it a grade of C for that category. Other aspects of its profile turned out to be the source of this facility's abysmal overall score. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing these inspection grades. One key factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these can be quite insignificant. This facility was assessed 2 deficiencies on its government inspection report, but none were in categories G through L. This indicates that inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies to create an imminent risk to resident health or safety. Finally, this facility was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We would not recommend this facility under any circumstance.
Does this page answer your questions about Golden Gate Rehabilitation & Health Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Another concern was the F this nursing home was given in the category of short-term care. In the area of short-term care, we seek to evaluate measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We analyze a facility's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. Given its grade in this category, we were not surprised to find that this nursing home is well below average in terms of the number of registered nurse and physical therapy hours offered to its residents based on the metrics we looked at. Finally, we looked at the percentage of residents that who were able to eventually return home from this nursing home. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
The next area we analyzed was nursing. This nursing home received a very poor grade of F in this category. Nursing scores are heavily correlated with quantity of nursing care available. This facility provided just 0.2 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing scores. This place fared well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Golden Gate Rehabilitation & Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Golden Gate Rehabilitation & Health Care Center, 9.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents that suffered from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Golden Gate Rehabilitation & Health Care Center, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who have had a fall which resulted in severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Golden Gate Rehabilitation & Health Care Center, 2.08% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term patients who had a UTI. UTI's may be an indication of lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this datapoint could be misleading for some facilities due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Golden Gate Rehabilitation & Health Care Center, 11.61% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. These drugs are used for treating several conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Golden Gate Rehabilitation & Health Care Center, 13.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are prescribed to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Golden Gate Rehabilitation & Health Care Center, 13.6% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Golden Gate Rehabilitation & Health Care Center, 91.89% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Golden Gate Rehabilitation & Health Care Center, 14.66% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Golden Gate Rehabilitation & Health Care Center, 18.82% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents that remained mobile levels. Many would argue that the ability to move around is critical to residents' mental and physical health.
In Golden Gate Rehabilitation & Health Care Center, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Golden Gate Rehabilitation & Health Care Center, 18.82 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Golden Gate Rehabilitation & Health Care Center, 8.77 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Golden Gate Rehabilitation & Health Care Center, 74.71% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Staten Island, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Staten Island, New York has 9 other nursing homes
- Richmond University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.42 miles away355 Bard Avenue Staten Island New York 10310Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 818-1234
- Staten Island University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.79 miles away475 Seaview Avenue Staten Island New York 10305Voluntary non-profit - Private(418) 226-9761
- Carepoint Health - Bayonne Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.38 miles away29 East 29th St Bayonne New Jersey 07002Voluntary non-profit - Private(201) 858-5000
- Trinitas Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.57 miles away225 Williamson Street Elizabeth New Jersey 07207Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 994-5000
- Maimonides Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.32 miles away4802 Tenth Avenue Brooklyn New York 11219Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 283-6000
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital at RahwayAcute Care Hospitals 8.3 miles away865 Stone St Rahway New Jersey 07065Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 381-4200
- Newark Beth Israel Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.3 miles away201 Lyons Ave Newark New Jersey 07112Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 926-7850
- Coney Island Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.7 miles away2601 Ocean Parkway Brooklyn New York 11235Government - Local(718) 616-3000
- Island Rehabilitative Services-Clove Lakes Extension0.5 miles away25 Fanning Street Staten Island New York 10314Dialysis Stations: 8 (347) 671-8399
- Davita Richmond Kidney at Home1.31 miles away1366 Victory Boulevard Staten Island New York 10301CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (718) 816-6200
- Staten Island Dialysis Clinic/ Akc1.49 miles away1550 Richmond Ave. Suite 101 Staten Island New York 10314CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (718) 983-7000
- Carol Molinaro Dialysis Center2.09 miles away800 Castleton Avenue Suite G Staten Island New York 10310CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (718) 816-6455
- Knickerbocker Dialysis, Inc2.72 miles away1139 Hylan Blvd Staten Island New York 10305Dialysis Stations: 18 (718) 816-4913
- Island Rehabilitative Services, Inc.2.8 miles away470 Seaview Avenue Dialysis Unit Staten Island New York 10305CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (718) 987-5942
- Fkc Bayonne3.89 miles awayDialysis Unit 29 East 29th Street Bayonne New Jersey 07002Dialysis Stations: 14 (201) 858-5358
- Davita Renal Center Bayonne3.91 miles away434-436 Broadway Bayonne New Jersey 07002Dialysis Stations: 21 (201) 436-1664