Gold Crest Care Center is a large nursing home located in Bronx, New York. We gave this nursing home a C overall, which isn't a bad score. This is comparable with the city grade in Bronx, which is a B-. Based on our ratings, this nursing home ought to meet the needs of many people. The best part of this facility's report card was its stellar inspection rating. Inspection reports are discussed in the next section.
Gold Crest Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
Registered Staff Hours
The main reason this nursing home received a decent overall score is its excellent inspections in recent years. We gave it one of our better scores in that area, with an A+. This is a much better score than the facility's overall grade, which was decent but not in the elite range. Inspection scores weigh several factors included in a facility's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we rely on is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with better scores in this area usually have few of these severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is always a good sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's more favorable category grades was in the category of long-term care. In that category, we awarded this facility a B. Facilities that do well in this category typically provide residents with closer supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. In addition to assessing the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 98.33024 percent of its residents. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients out of the hospital. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Gold Crest Care Center?
The next area we looked at was nursing, where we gave this facility an F. This was definitely one of this facility's major weaknesses. We looked at the qualifications of nurses working for the nursing home, as well as the quantity of time those nurses worked with residents, in computing our grade in this category. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing grades. This nursing home performed well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these statistics to be reliable measures of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we rated was short-term care. We gave it an abysmal F in this category, which is a very poor score. This is clearly a major concern. In the category of short-term care, we strive to evaluate measures of a facility's rehabilitation services. We assess a nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. Considering its abysmal grade in this category, we weren't stunned to discover that this facility provided far fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. The final metric we assessed in this area is the number of residents that returned home from the facility. This facility struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 3.2 percent of its residents returning home. This was well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Gold Crest Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Gold Crest Care Center, 9.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who developed pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a great indicator of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Gold Crest Care Center, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a fall leading to severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Gold Crest Care Center, 2.08% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often the result of poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this statistic could also be skewed for some facilities due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Gold Crest Care Center, 11.61% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure tells you the percent of long-term residents who are administered antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior in situations where such drugs are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these medications due to an increased number of residents suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Gold Crest Care Center, 13.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These medications are prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Gold Crest Care Center, 13.6% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who are showing symptoms of depression. Some would argue this is a reasonable measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Gold Crest Care Center, 91.89% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these types of vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Gold Crest Care Center, 14.66% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and using the bathroom. Many in the industry argue that this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Gold Crest Care Center, 18.82% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Gold Crest Care Center, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Gold Crest Care Center, 18.82 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Gold Crest Care Center, 8.77 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Gold Crest Care Center, 74.71% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Bronx, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Bronx, New York has 44 other nursing homes
- Jacobi Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.73 miles away1400 Pelham Parkway South Bronx New York 10461Government - Local(718) 918-5000
- Montefiore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.78 miles away111 East 210th Street Bronx New York 10467Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 920-4321
- St Barnabas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.08 miles away4422 Third Avenue Bronx New York 10457Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 960-9000
- Montefiore Mount Vernon HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.75 miles away12 North 7th Avenue Mount Vernon New York 10550Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 664-8000
- Bronx-Lebanon Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.15 miles away1276 Fulton Avenue Bronx New York 10456Proprietary(212) 588-7000
- Montefiore New Rochelle HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.49 miles away16 Guion Place New Rochelle New York 10802Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 632-5000
- Lincoln Medical & Mental Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.56 miles away234 East 149th Street Bronx New York 10451Government - Local(718) 579-5000
- St Joseph's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.86 miles away127 South Broadway Yonkers New York 10701Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 378-7000
- Kings Harbor Health Services LLC0.22 miles away2020 East Gun Hill Road Bronx New York 10469Dialysis Stations: 9 (718) 320-1335
- Davita Hutchinson River Dialysis0.53 miles away2331 Eastchester Road Bronx New York 10469Dialysis Stations: 19 (718) 547-0612
- Davita Bronx Dialysis Center0.83 miles awayKnickerbocker Dialysis, Inc 1615 Eastchester Road Bronx New York 10461CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 892-7700
- Davita Eastchester Road Dialysis Center0.83 miles awayLiberty r.c. Inc. 1515 Jarrett Place Bronx New York 10461CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (718) 822-4940
- Fms-Eastchester0.84 miles away1776 Eastchester Road Bronx New York 10461CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (718) 792-0470
- Vestal Healthcare, LLC0.84 miles away1776 Eastchester Road Bronx New York 10461Dialysis Stations: 1 (718) 239-2089
- Montefiore Hosp. & Med. Ctr.0.87 miles away111 East 210th Street Dialysis Unit-4th Floor Bronx New York 10467Dialysis Stations: 18 (718) 920-4974
- Fms-Morris Park0.93 miles away1325 Morris Park Avenue Bronx New York 10461CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 597-2255