Glisan Care Center is in Portland, Oregon, which is among the most densely populated cities in the nation. This is a good nursing home with a B overall. This was right in line with the city grade in Portland. Even in a city with 14 nursing homes, this nursing home turns out to be a fine option. The best part of this facility's impressive report card is its nursing score. Nursing grades are discussed in the next paragraph
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Glisan Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Portland senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this place received a great overall grade is that it received a very impressive nursing grade. In fact, nursing ended up being its best category. In that category, we awarded this nursing home an A-. The nursing rating is based on many subcategories. The most important factor is the amount of time nurses spent with residents. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
Another strong feature for this nursing home is that it received an impressive short-term care score. In fact, this proved to be its second best category grade. In that category, we awarded this facility a B+. Short-term care scores are based in part on the nursing home's quantity of skilled nursing services. This includes a wide spectrum of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, in addition to other forms of therapy. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that this nursing home submitted data regarding its registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. The last datapoint we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents that ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that 5.6 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Glisan Care Center?
In addition, this facility also excelled in the area of inspections, where it received a grade of B+. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing these inspection ratings. One of those factors is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is usually more important than the number of deficiencies, as some deficiencies are relatively minor. While this place had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. We should note that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in the industry.
Long-term Care Quality
Our last area is long-term care, in which we gave this facility a C in this area. In the category of long-term care, we weigh the quantity of care provided by a nursing home, as opposed to more sophisticated services. In addition to looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 99.484535 percent of its residents, which is more than most nursing homes. Lastly, this nursing home was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Glisan Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Glisan Care Center, 6.56% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care can minimize the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Glisan Care Center, 0.52% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Major falls are often the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Glisan Care Center, 1.55% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of nursing care . UTI's are routinely linked to a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this datapoint may be misleading for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Glisan Care Center, 15.85% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term patients taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Glisan Care Center, 7.14% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Glisan Care Center, 1.66% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. Higher rates of depression may be a sign a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Glisan Care Center, 94.42% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Glisan Care Center, 15.73% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may indicate the deterioration of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Glisan Care Center, 19.93% of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Glisan Care Center, 19.93% of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Glisan Care Center, 3.72% of Patients
This is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Glisan Care Center, 71.77% of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry would argue this is a reliable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Portland, OR
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Portland, Oregon has 13 other nursing homes
- Adventist Health PortlandAcute Care Hospitals 1.05 miles away10123 Se Market Street Portland Oregon 97216Voluntary non-profit - Church(503) 257-2500
- Providence Portland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.46 miles away4805 Ne Glisan Street Portland Oregon 97213Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 215-1111
- Legacy Emanuel Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.26 miles away2801 N Gantenbein Avenue Portland Oregon 97227Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 413-2200
- Ohsu Hospital and ClinicsAcute Care Hospitals 6.28 miles away3181 Sw Sam Jackson Park Road Portland Oregon 97239Voluntary non-profit - Other(503) 494-6245
- Legacy Good Samaritan Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.42 miles away1015 Nw 22nd Avenue, w121 Portland Oregon 97210Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 413-7711
- Kaiser Sunnyside Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.48 miles away10180 Se Sunnyside Road Clackamas Oregon 97015Voluntary non-profit - Other(503) 652-2880
- Peacehealth Southwest Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.83 miles away400 Ne Mother Joseph Place Vancouver Washington 98668Voluntary non-profit - Private(360) 256-2000
- Legacy Mount Hood Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.43 miles away24800 Se Stark Street Gresham Oregon 97030Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 674-1122
- Portland Dialysis Center0.64 miles away10595 Se Stark St Portland Oregon 97216Dialysis Stations: 15 (503) 252-0019
- Portland Home Dialysis Clinic0.92 miles away10802 Se Washington Street Portland Oregon 97216Dialysis Stations: 2 (503) 254-4426
- Portland Gateway Dialysis1.21 miles away9932 Ne Halsey St Portland Oregon 97220CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (503) 253-8170
- Foster Powell Dialysis3.03 miles away6828 Se Foster Rd Portland Oregon 97206Dialysis Stations: 17 (503) 777-5780
- Fmc Maywood Park3.12 miles away11909 Ne Glenn Widing Dr Portland Oregon 97220Dialysis Stations: 21 (503) 255-3464
- Oregon Kidney Center3.13 miles away3524 Ne Sandy Blvd Portland Oregon 97232CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (503) 236-7097
- Pnrs Hollywood Dialysis3.57 miles away2824 Ne Wasco St Suite #100 Portland Oregon 97232CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (503) 493-8227
- Northeast Portland Renal Center4.64 miles away703 Ne Hancock St Portland Oregon 97212CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (503) 493-3322