Glenwood Healthcare & Rehab. is a large facility located in Glenwood, Illinois. We gave this facility an overall grade of F. If you are not satisfied with this facility's pedestrian overall grade, you may have to look in other cities as this is the only nursing home in Glenwood. Finally, we were surprised to learn that this place received a decent grade in the area of long-term care. We provide more information about this category below.
Glenwood Healthcare & Rehab.
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
19330 South Cottage Grove,
Glenwood IL 60425
63.8% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
While this place's overall grade was as bad as it gets, it actually didn't perform terribly in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a C for that category, which is one of our better scores. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing these inspection grades. One key factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some of these can be quite minor. This place was assessed 8 deficiencies on its government inspection report, but we were relieved to find that none were in categories G through L. This means inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies to present an imminent danger to patient safety or health. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received significant government fines in recent years.
Long-term Care Quality
We also would like to point out that this facility received an F for its long-term care grade. When facilities receive this kind of grade in this category it is a bad sign for patient care and it may mean that the place is not as well-staffed. In addition to considering the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. Candidly, we were a bit bothered by the fact that this nursing home vaccinated only 58.35189 percent of its patients. Surprisingly, this facility was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.04 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home had fewer hospitalizations than most nursing homes. This was its best feature in this category.
Does this page answer your questions about Glenwood Healthcare & Rehab.?
This facility ended up receiving rock bottom score in our nursing category. It received an F in this category. In computing our nursing ratings, we look at both nursing hours and the training levels of the nurses. This place averaged a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This statistic is far below the national average. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing ratings. This facility fared well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these datapoints to be reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we analyzed was short-term care. We gave it an abysmal F for this category, which is a very poor score. Short-term care scores are crucial for prospective residents seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically utilizes additional highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means a wide spectrum of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other types of therapy. With its poor score in this category, we weren't surprised to find that this place offers significantly fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most facilities. Finally, we considered the percentage of residents who ultimately were able to return home from this facility. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 3.3 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was well off the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Glenwood Healthcare & Rehab. Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Glenwood Healthcare & Rehab., 8.73% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure is is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a reliable measure of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Glenwood Healthcare & Rehab., 3.45% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric gauges the percent of long-term care patients which experienced falls which resulted in serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be a sign of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Glenwood Healthcare & Rehab., 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often the result of worse hygiene protocols. Better nursing care can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Glenwood Healthcare & Rehab., 18.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This gauges the percent of long-term care residents who are administered antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior in scenarios where such medications are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes need to rely on these drugs due to an increased number of patients suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Glenwood Healthcare & Rehab., 19.04% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Glenwood Healthcare & Rehab., 30.45% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Glenwood Healthcare & Rehab., 87.4% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Glenwood Healthcare & Rehab., 13.9% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of erosion of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Glenwood Healthcare & Rehab., 17.56% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents who maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Glenwood Healthcare & Rehab., 1.66 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Glenwood Healthcare & Rehab., 17.56 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Glenwood Healthcare & Rehab., 11.82 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Glenwood Healthcare & Rehab., 71.65% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry believe that this is a reasonable measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
- Franciscan Health MunsterAcute Care Hospitals 4.39 miles away701 Superior Ave Munster Indiana 46321Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 922-4200
- Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.77 miles away901 Macarthur Blvd Munster Indiana 46321Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 836-1600
- Franciscan Health DyerAcute Care Hospitals 4.89 miles away24 Joliet St Dyer Indiana 46311Voluntary non-profit - Church(219) 865-2141
- Advocate South Suburban HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.35 miles away17800 S Kedzie Ave Hazel Crest Illinois 60429Voluntary non-profit - Church(708) 799-8000
- Ingalls Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.62 miles away1 Ingalls Drive Harvey Illinois 60426Voluntary non-profit - Private(708) 333-2300
- Franciscan Health HammondAcute Care Hospitals 6.5 miles away5454 Hohman Ave Hammond Indiana 46320Voluntary non-profit - Church(219) 932-2300
- St Catherine Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 10.11 miles away4321 Fir St East Chicago Indiana 46312Voluntary non-profit - Private(219) 392-7004
- Roseland Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.69 miles away45 W 111th Street Chicago Illinois 60628Voluntary non-profit - Other(773) 995-3000
- Davita - Chicago Heights Dialysis2.98 miles away177 B West Joe Orr Rd Chicago Heights Illinois 60411CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (708) 755-9000
- Fmc - Neomedica - South Holland3.3 miles away17225 S Paxton Ave South Holland Illinois 60473CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (708) 474-8700
- Fkc - Chicago Heights3.53 miles away15 E Independence Drive Chicago Heights Illinois 60411Dialysis Stations: 12 (708) 754-5898
- Fmc - Neomedica - Munster4.35 miles away314 Ridge Road Munster Indiana 46321Dialysis Stations: 16 (219) 836-9317
- Davita - South Holland4.47 miles away16110 Lasalle Street South Holland Illinois 60473CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (708) 331-7697
- Davita - Munster4.59 miles away9100 Calumet Ave. Munster Indiana 46321CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (219) 836-1299
- Munster Dialysis Center4.67 miles away10120 Calumet Avenue, Suite 102 Munster Indiana 46321Dialysis Stations: 20 (219) 924-3972
- Fmc - Steger Dialysis5 miles away219 E. 34th Street Steger Illinois 60475Dialysis Stations: 12 (708) 754-3770