Glenoaks Convalescent Hospital is an average-sized nursing home located in Glendale, California. We awarded this facility an overall grade of C. A grade in this range requires some decent scores. This facility seems to have some things going for it. This place was better in some categories than others, but it didn't have any weak links in any of the four major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Glenoaks Convalescent Hospital
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Glendale senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
This facility's overall grade was bolstered by the fact that it has received favorable government inspections in recent years. We awarded it one of our better scores in that area, with a B. This is a much better score than the facility's overall grade. These inspection scores take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home received 10 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a solid inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
This facility earned high grades in our nursing category as well. In fact, it received one of our highest scores in that category with a score of B-. Nursing ratings are primarily associated with a facility's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours, this facility actually performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is often a good indicator that a nursing home has sufficient quality controls in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Glenoaks Convalescent Hospital?
Long-term Care Quality
The third most favorable category we awarded this facility in any area came in the area of long-term care, where we awarded it a C. In the area of long-term care, we analyze the amount of care provided by a facility, as opposed to more medically-intensive services. One of the criteria we considered after nurse's aid hours was vaccinations. Frankly, we were a bit concerned this nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccine to a relatively low 82.85715 percent of its patients. Nevertheless, this place excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Short-term Care Quality
Our last category is short-term care, in which we awarded this nursing home a C in that area. Short-term care scores are important for people needing rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally utilizes more skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes a wide range of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Unfortunately, this place was below average in terms of its level of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its patients based on the measures we assessed. The question is whether this adversely impacted quality of care. The last statistic we considered in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that just 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Glenoaks Convalescent Hospital Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Glenoaks Convalescent Hospital, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term patients who are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Glenoaks Convalescent Hospital, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a fall which resulted in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Glenoaks Convalescent Hospital, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of nursing care . UTI's are routinely linked to worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint could be skewed for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Glenoaks Convalescent Hospital, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Glenoaks Convalescent Hospital, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of long-term patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Glenoaks Convalescent Hospital, 5.83% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Some argue this is a reliable measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Glenoaks Convalescent Hospital, 95.65% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Glenoaks Convalescent Hospital, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and continence.
In Glenoaks Convalescent Hospital, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Glenoaks Convalescent Hospital, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Scores for Glendale, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Glendale, California has 6 other nursing homes
- Glendale Adventist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.97 miles away1509 E Wilson Terrace Glendale California 91206Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 409-8202
- Glendale Mem Hospital & Hlth CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.23 miles away1420 S Central Ave Glendale California 91204Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 502-1900
- Providence Saint Joseph Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 3.77 miles away501 South Buena Vista Street Burbank California 91505Voluntary non-profit - Church(818) 843-5111
- Usc Verdugo Hills HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.06 miles away1812 Verdugo Blvd Glendale California 91209Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 790-7100
- Children's Hosp of Los AngelesChildrens 4.54 miles away4650 Sunset Blvd, Ms 108 Los Angeles California 90027Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 669-2164
- Hollywood Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.69 miles away1300 N Vermont Ave Los Angeles California 90027Proprietary(213) 413-3000
- Southern California Hospital at HollywoodAcute Care Hospitals 5.63 miles away6245 De Longpre Ave Los Angeles California 90028Proprietary(323) 462-2271
- Huntington Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.55 miles away100 W California Blvd Pasadena California 91109Voluntary non-profit - Other(626) 397-5000
- Fmc-West Glendale1.54 miles away623 South Central Avenue Glendale California 91204Dialysis Stations: 24 (818) 240-1065
- Davita-North Glendale1.9 miles away1505 Wilson Terrace, Suite 190 Glendale California 91206CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (818) 637-8348
- Davita-Glendale Dialysis2.21 miles away1000 E. Palmer Avenue Glendale California 91205CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (818) 241-6382
- u.s. Renal Care Verdugo Hills Dialysis2.26 miles away1808 Verdugo Blvd., Suite 200 Glendale California 91208Dialysis Stations: 25 (818) 790-0712
- Davita-West Glendale Dialysis2.28 miles away1427 S. Glendale Avenue Glendale California 91205CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (818) 241-0016
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital Medical Ctr.- Sunset3.14 miles awayDialysis Unit 4700 Sunset Blvd., 2nd Floor Los Angeles California 90027CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (323) 783-5580
- Childrens Hospital of Los Angeles3.14 miles awayDivision of Nephrology (Dialysis) 4650 Sunset Blvd., Box 40 Los Angeles California 90027Dialysis Stations: 10 (323) 361-4788
- Fmc-Burbank3.54 miles away2031 Alameda Avenue, Suite 202 Burbank California 91506CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (818) 845-3830