Glenoaks Convalescent Hospital is an average-sized nursing home located in Glendale, California. With a abysmal overall grade of F, this facility didn't fare well in our assessment. If you aren't happy with this facility's overall grade, you should be able to find a better option in Glendale. The city has at least 10 other nursing homes. We would not blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this place's category grades, inspection reports are discussed in the next section.
Glenoaks Convalescent Hospital
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was as bad as it gets, it actually didn't perform terribly in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a B- for that category, which is one of our better scores. We believe that one of the most important factors in evaluating an inspection report is deficiencies. In this regard, we especially look at the severity of those deficiencies. This particular nursing home received 10 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a solid inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also didn't perform too badly in the area of long-term care. Indeed, we awarded it a C for that category, which ended up being among its better scores. For prospective patients in need of a permanent residence rather than skilled nursing, long-term care is an important category. On top of assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. Candidly, we were a bit worried that this facility gave the vaccine to a relatively low 82.026146 percent of its patients. Nevertheless, this facility excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Glenoaks Convalescent Hospital?
We were stunned to find that this nursing home also excelled in the category of nursing. In fact, we awarded it an impressive grade of D for that category, which is one of our highest grades. Our nursing score is based on several factors. The most heavily weighted variable is the number of hours nurses spend with patients. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing grades. This facility fared well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good measures of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The final area we assessed is short-term care, in which this facility was given a very poor score in this area also. We gave it an abysmal F in this category, which is obviously a major concern. Short-term care scores are important for people needing rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally utilizes more skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes a wide range of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Considering its abysmal rating in this area, we weren't shocked to learn this facility provides far fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. Finally, we considered the number of patients that eventually returned home from this nursing home. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Glenoaks Convalescent Hospital Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Glenoaks Convalescent Hospital, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term patients who suffered from pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a reliable barometer of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Glenoaks Convalescent Hospital, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to severe injury are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . Falls are routinely caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Glenoaks Convalescent Hospital, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes linked to inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Glenoaks Convalescent Hospital, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of long-term residents taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Glenoaks Convalescent Hospital, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This gauges the percentage of long-term care patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Glenoaks Convalescent Hospital, 4.64% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Glenoaks Convalescent Hospital, 95.44% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Glenoaks Convalescent Hospital, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Glenoaks Convalescent Hospital, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term residents who maintained mobility.
In Glenoaks Convalescent Hospital, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Glenoaks Convalescent Hospital, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Glenoaks Convalescent Hospital, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of care.
Scores for Glendale, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Glendale, California has 13 other nursing homes
- Glendale Adventist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.97 miles away1509 E Wilson Terrace Glendale California 91206Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 409-8202
- Glendale Mem Hospital & Hlth CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.23 miles away1420 S Central Ave Glendale California 91204Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 502-1900
- Providence Saint Joseph Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 3.77 miles away501 South Buena Vista Street Burbank California 91505Voluntary non-profit - Church(818) 843-5111
- Usc Verdugo Hills HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.06 miles away1812 Verdugo Blvd Glendale California 91209Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 790-7100
- Children's Hosp of Los AngelesChildrens 4.54 miles away4650 Sunset Blvd, Ms 108 Los Angeles California 90027Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 669-2164
- Hollywood Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.69 miles away1300 N Vermont Ave Los Angeles California 90027Proprietary(213) 413-3000
- Southern California Hospital at HollywoodAcute Care Hospitals 5.63 miles away6245 De Longpre Ave Los Angeles California 90028Proprietary(323) 462-2271
- Huntington Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.55 miles away100 W California Blvd Pasadena California 91109Voluntary non-profit - Other(626) 397-5000
- Fmc-West Glendale1.54 miles away623 South Central Avenue Glendale California 91204Dialysis Stations: 24 (818) 240-1065
- Davita-North Glendale1.9 miles away1505 Wilson Terrace, Suite 190 Glendale California 91206CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (818) 637-8348
- Davita-Glendale Dialysis2.21 miles away1000 E. Palmer Avenue Glendale California 91205CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (818) 241-6382
- u.s. Renal Care Verdugo Hills Dialysis2.26 miles away1808 Verdugo Blvd., Suite 200 Glendale California 91208Dialysis Stations: 25 (818) 790-0712
- Davita-West Glendale Dialysis2.28 miles away1427 S. Glendale Avenue Glendale California 91205CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (818) 241-0016
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital Medical Ctr.- Sunset3.14 miles awayDialysis Unit 4700 Sunset Blvd., 2nd Floor Los Angeles California 90027CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (323) 783-5580
- Childrens Hospital of Los Angeles3.14 miles awayDivision of Nephrology (Dialysis) 4650 Sunset Blvd., Box 40 Los Angeles California 90027Dialysis Stations: 10 (323) 361-4788
- Fmc-Burbank3.54 miles away2031 Alameda Avenue, Suite 202 Burbank California 91506CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (818) 845-3830