Glenoaks Convalescent Hospital is a nursing home in Glendale, California, a city with 172,817 people. Featuring an overall rating of F, we consider this to be a lower end nursing home. Fortunately, this nursing home is one of 12 nursing homes in this city so if you aren't impressed, you should have better options. We wouldn't blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this place's category grades, long-term care grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Glenoaks Convalescent Hospital
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
409 W. Glenoaks Blvd.,
Glendale CA 91202
83.03% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home actually didn't perform quite as poorly in the area of long-term care. In fact, we gave it a B- for that area. Our long-term care grades are based on a nursing home's amount of nursing care. This includes a broad spectrum of personal care services, ranging from assistance with activities of daily living to routine healthcare services. After assessing the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination statistics. Candidly, we were a bit worried that this facility vaccinated 83.60656 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which happens to be significantly below average. Unfortunately, this place's hospitalization rate was worse than we hoped. Here we found that this nursing home had 2.62 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. While this figure is quite a bit higher than the national average, this statistic can be skewed for some nursing homes based on the medical complexity of patients.
This place actually performed well in inspections as well. We awarded it a B- for that category, which is a solid score. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating these inspection ratings. One of those factors is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more important than the number of deficiencies, as some end up being quite minor. This particular nursing home received 10 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a solid inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Does this page answer your questions about Glenoaks Convalescent Hospital?
We gave this facility a grade of just D for our nursing rating. In calculating a facility's nursing score, we look at the amount of time nurses spend with residents as well as the level of licensure of the nurses. This facility provided just 3.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. On top of receiving below average scores for total nursing hours, this facility was less impressive in some of the quality-based measures we looked at in determining our nursing scores. We looked at the percent of residents experiencing pressure ulcers and found this facility was at approximately 150 percent of the national average in this statistic. This is likely a bad sign when you consider that so many pressure ulcers are preventable with better nursing care. Unfortunately, this statistic pulled down this nursing home's nursing score significantly.
Short-term Care Quality
The last area we assessed was short-term care. Sadly, it received a lowly F in this category, which is a poor score. In computing our short-term care scores, we analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The objective is to devise a measure for comparing the rehabilitation services of different nursing homes. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. The final measure we assessed in this category is the percentage of patients that eventually returned home from the facility. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 0 percent of its patients returning home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Glenoaks Convalescent Hospital Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Glenoaks Convalescent Hospital, 7.63% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Glenoaks Convalescent Hospital, 1.66% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term care patients that have sustained falls which resulted in major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be a sign of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Glenoaks Convalescent Hospital, 1.19% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term care residents who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's may be an indication of poor nursing care. However, this statistic could also be skewed for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Glenoaks Convalescent Hospital, 9.98% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. These medications are sometimes used to treat several medical conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Glenoaks Convalescent Hospital, 13.87% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Glenoaks Convalescent Hospital, 4.32% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Glenoaks Convalescent Hospital, 96.21% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Glenoaks Convalescent Hospital, 8.35% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Glenoaks Convalescent Hospital, 14.01% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents who were able to retain mobility.
In Glenoaks Convalescent Hospital, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Glenoaks Convalescent Hospital, 14.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Glenoaks Convalescent Hospital, 9.82 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Glendale, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Glendale, California has 11 other nursing homes
- Glendale Adventist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.97 miles away1509 E Wilson Terrace Glendale California 91206Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 409-8202
- Glendale Mem Hospital & Hlth CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.23 miles away1420 S Central Ave Glendale California 91204Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 502-1900
- Providence Saint Joseph Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 3.77 miles away501 South Buena Vista Street Burbank California 91505Voluntary non-profit - Church(818) 843-5111
- Usc Verdugo Hills HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.06 miles away1812 Verdugo Blvd Glendale California 91209Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 790-7100
- Children's Hosp of Los AngelesChildrens 4.54 miles away4650 Sunset Blvd, Ms 108 Los Angeles California 90027Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 669-2164
- Hollywood Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.69 miles away1300 N Vermont Ave Los Angeles California 90027Proprietary(213) 413-3000
- Southern California Hospital at HollywoodAcute Care Hospitals 5.63 miles away6245 De Longpre Ave Los Angeles California 90028Proprietary(323) 462-2271
- Huntington Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.55 miles away100 W California Blvd Pasadena California 91109Voluntary non-profit - Other(626) 397-5000
- Fmc-West Glendale1.54 miles away623 South Central Avenue Glendale California 91204Dialysis Stations: 24 (818) 240-1065
- Davita-North Glendale1.9 miles away1505 Wilson Terrace, Suite 190 Glendale California 91206CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (818) 637-8348
- Davita-Glendale Dialysis2.21 miles away1000 E. Palmer Avenue Glendale California 91205CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (818) 241-6382
- u.s. Renal Care Verdugo Hills Dialysis2.26 miles away1808 Verdugo Blvd., Suite 200 Glendale California 91208Dialysis Stations: 25 (818) 790-0712
- Davita-West Glendale Dialysis2.28 miles away1427 S. Glendale Avenue Glendale California 91205CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (818) 241-0016
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital Medical Ctr.- Sunset3.14 miles awayDialysis Unit 4700 Sunset Blvd., 2nd Floor Los Angeles California 90027CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (323) 783-5580
- Childrens Hospital of Los Angeles3.14 miles awayDivision of Nephrology (Dialysis) 4650 Sunset Blvd., Box 40 Los Angeles California 90027Dialysis Stations: 10 (323) 361-4788
- Fmc-Burbank3.54 miles away2031 Alameda Avenue, Suite 202 Burbank California 91506CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (818) 845-3830