Glenlake Terrace Nursing & Reh is a very-large nursing home located in Waukegan, Illinois. With a terrible overall grade of F, this nursing home didn't fare well in our assessment. Unfortunately, the city grade for Waukegan is not too much better. Nevertheless, you still ought to be able to do better Finally, inspections was the only shining light in our review of this nursing home. You can find additional information about this category below.
Glenlake Terrace Nursing & Reh
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Although we gave this facility a poor overall grade, we gave it a B for our inspections rating. This was due to the nursing home receiving a decent inspection report this year. Our inspection grades are tied to several datapoints found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key item to look for on these inspections. Most importantly, you should avoid nursing homes that have severe deficiencies associated with risks to resident well being. Although this place had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. A few minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
Unfortunately, this facility only received a grade of D for its nursing grade, which was actually one of its better category grades. The nursing grade is based on numerous datapoints. The most heavily weighted one is the quantity of hours nurses spent with patients. With a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient each day, this place's nurse staffing levels were well below average. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Does this page answer your questions about Glenlake Terrace Nursing & Reh?
Short-term Care Quality
Additionally, we gave this nursing home an F in the area of short-term care. Our short-term care ratings are probably more important for folks in need of a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally mandates additional highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means not merely nursing services, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. As you might expect, we discovered that this nursing home offers significantly less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than the average facility. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that just 3.1 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to the fourth category, this nursing home didn't fare well here either. With a bottom of the barrel grade of F in long-term care, this is about as as uninspiring as it gets. Long-term care ratings of this caliber generally are a bad sign for the quantity and quality of care provided by nurses and aids, as well as the levels of routine medical care available. After looking at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination records. We were a bit worried that this facility vaccinated 76.36364 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which happens to be several points lower than what we were hoping for. To our surprise, this nursing home was actually decent at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This is its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Glenlake Terrace Nursing & Reh Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Glenlake Terrace Nursing & Reh, 8.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Glenlake Terrace Nursing & Reh, 3.47% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are routinely linked to lower quality nursing care. More supervision minimizes the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Glenlake Terrace Nursing & Reh, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many experts to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are often the result of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this datapoint can be misleading for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Glenlake Terrace Nursing & Reh, 18.4% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are given to patients for a variety of medical conditions, such as dementia. Unfortunately, in some cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Glenlake Terrace Nursing & Reh, 19.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term care patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Glenlake Terrace Nursing & Reh, 29.8% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients exhibiting depressive symptoms. High levels of depression could reveal lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Glenlake Terrace Nursing & Reh, 87.49% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Glenlake Terrace Nursing & Reh, 14.23% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of the deterioration of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Glenlake Terrace Nursing & Reh, 19.34% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Glenlake Terrace Nursing & Reh, 1.51 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is critical to the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Glenlake Terrace Nursing & Reh, 19.34 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Glenlake Terrace Nursing & Reh, 11.45 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Glenlake Terrace Nursing & Reh, 71.39% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Lake Behavioral HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.77 miles away2615 W Washington St Waukegan Illinois 60085Proprietary(847) 249-3900
- Northwestern Lake Forest HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.2 miles away1000 N Westmoreland Road Lake Forest Illinois 60045Voluntary non-profit - Other(847) 234-5600
- Advocate Condell Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.2 miles away801 S Milwaukee Ave Libertyville Illinois 60048Voluntary non-profit - Private(847) 362-2900
- Midwestern Region Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.15 miles away2520 Elisha Avenue Zion Illinois 60099Proprietary(847) 872-4561
- Aurora Medical Ctr KenoshaAcute Care Hospitals 16.55 miles away10400 75th St Kenosha Wisconsin 53142Voluntary non-profit - Private(262) 948-5600
- Froedtert South - Kenosha Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.01 miles away6308 Eighth Ave Kenosha Wisconsin 53143Government - Local(262) 656-2011
- Advocate Good Shepherd HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.9 miles away450 West Highway 22 Barrington Illinois 60010Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 381-9600
- Northwest Community Hospital 1Acute Care Hospitals 19.74 miles away800 W Central Road Arlington Heights Illinois 60005Voluntary non-profit - Private(847) 618-1000
- Fmc - Waukegan Harbor2.29 miles away110 N. West Street Waukegan Illinois 60085CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (847) 599-1346
- Fmc - Gurnee2.48 miles away50 Tower Ct , Ste B Gurnee Illinois 60031CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 249-5555
- Davita - Waukegan Dialysis2.8 miles away3350 W Grand Ave Ste 100 Waukegan Illinois 60085CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (847) 782-0640
- Fkc - Lake Bluff4.12 miles away101 Waukegan Road, Suite 700 Lake Bluff Illinois 60044CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 735-0870
- Beach Park Dialysis5.19 miles away3113 N. Lewis Avenue Waukegan Illinois 60087Dialysis Stations: 12 (847) 782-8250
- Davita - Lake County Dialysis Services Inc8.68 miles away565 Lakeview Pkwy Ste 176 Vernon Hills Illinois 60061CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (847) 918-0592
- Fmc - Mundelein8.92 miles away1402 Townline Road Mundelein Illinois 60060CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (847) 949-3904
- Fmc - Zion9.18 miles away1920 Sheridan Road Zion Illinois 60099Dialysis Stations: 12 (847) 731-7010