Glengariff Health Care Center is a very-large nursing home located in Glen Cove, New York. This nursing home received an uninspiring overall grade of D, which is a lower end grade. This nursing home has very little going for it. The only positive thing we can really say about this facility is that it did not receive any F's in any of the categories we assessed. Additional information about these categories is available below.
Glengariff Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
141 Dosoris Lane,
Glen Cove NY 11542
87.93% estimated occupancy 1
Note: Glengariff Health Care Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Amputee Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Although we gave this place a bad overall grade, we awarded it a somewhat respectable grade in the area of inspections, where it received a B-. This was better than its other category grades. We would argue that one of the most important factors in evaluating an inspection report is deficiencies. We especially look at the severity of those deficiencies. While this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its report, none were severe based on CMS' scale. Lastly, this nursing home was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. This is generally a really bad sign. We would never recommend this facility.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's short-term care score turns out to be one of its best scores. The facility was given a grade of B- in this category. In crafting these short-term care scores, we assess the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our purpose is to devise a tool for comparing the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. We found that this nursing home was below average in the two key staffing areas we assessed. In fact, it provided fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. The final item we looked at in this category is the number of patients that ultimately returned home from the facility. We found that just 6 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home. Unfortunately, this was below the national average.
Does this page answer your questions about Glengariff Health Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home received its third most favorable category score in the category of long-term care. We gave this nursing home a grade of B- in this area, which is an acceptable grade. In the area of long-term care, we look at the quantity of care provided by a facility, as opposed to more medically-intensive services. One of the statistics we considered on top of nurse's aid hours was vaccinations. Fortunately, this facility provided the pneumonia vaccine to 99.48805 percent of its patients. Finally, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
The final area we rated is nursing. We gave this facility a C in that area. Our nursing grade includes several factors. The most heavily weighted one is the number of hours nurses spend with patients. This place provides only 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient each day. This is a somewhat concerning figure as it is well below the national average. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home actually excelled in some of the quality measures we looked at. In fact, it scored well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Glengariff Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Glengariff Health Care Center, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term care residents which suffered from pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a reliable measure of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Glengariff Health Care Center, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric gauges the percent of long-term care patients who have sustained a fall leading to severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be a sign of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Glengariff Health Care Center, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often linked to nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. Better hygiene protocols reduces the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Keep in mind that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Glengariff Health Care Center, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are given to patients for a variety of medical conditions, such as dementia. Tragically, in some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Glengariff Health Care Center, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Glengariff Health Care Center, 13.2% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. Some experts argue that this is a measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Glengariff Health Care Center, 91.26% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Glengariff Health Care Center, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate the erosion of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Glengariff Health Care Center, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Glengariff Health Care Center, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Glengariff Health Care Center, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Glengariff Health Care Center, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to measure short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Glengariff Health Care Center, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements.
- St Francis Hospital, RoslynAcute Care Hospitals 5.83 miles away100 Port Washington Boulevard Roslyn New York 11576Voluntary non-profit - Church(516) 562-6000
- North Shore University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.12 miles away300 Community Drive Manhasset New York 11030Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 562-0100
- Montefiore New Rochelle HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.36 miles away16 Guion Place New Rochelle New York 10802Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 632-5000
- Nyu Winthrop HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.78 miles away259 First Street Mineola New York 11501Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 663-0333
- Greenwich Hospital Association -Acute Care Hospitals 10.71 miles away5 Perryridge Rd Greenwich Connecticut 06830Voluntary non-profit - Private(203) 863-3000
- Plainview HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.73 miles away888 Old Country Road Plainview New York 11803Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 719-3000
- Huntington HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.99 miles away270 Park Avenue Huntington New York 11743Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 351-2000
- Montefiore Mount Vernon HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.02 miles away12 North 7th Avenue Mount Vernon New York 10550Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 664-8000
- Glengariff Dialysis Center, LLC0.34 miles away141 Dosoris Lane Glen Cove New York 11542Dialysis Stations: 6 (516) 676-1100
- Davita Port Washington Dialysis Center5 miles away50 Seaview Blvd Port Washington New York 11050CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (516) 484-3460
- Nyu Langone Hospitals6.32 miles away255 Warner Avenue Roslyn Heights New York 11577Dialysis Stations: 3 (516) 626-8355
- Davita Julia and Israel Waldbaum Dialysis8.03 miles away100 Community Drive Waldbaum Dialysis Center Great Neck New York 11021CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (516) 465-8250
- New York Dialysis Services, Inc.8.38 miles away16 Guion Place New Rochelle New York 10802CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (914) 235-6878
- Davita Crossways Park Dialysis9.16 miles away113 Crossways Park Dr Suite 102 Woodbury New York 11797Dialysis Stations: 17 (516) 921-0914
- Nyu Langone Hospitals9.91 miles away200 Old Country Road The Dialysis Center Mineola New York 11501CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (516) 663-9012
- Davita Oyster Bay Dialysis9.95 miles away17 E Old Country Road Hicksville New York 11801CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (516) 681-2786