Glendale Healthcare Center is in Glendale, California. We gave it an overall grade of B-, which is a middle of the road grade. This grade was right in line with the city grade in Glendale. One of the major highlights of this facility's report card is its remarkable inspection reports, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Glendale Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
We want to point out that this facility really outperformed its overall grade in the area of inspections. In fact, it received an excellent government inspection report this year. As a result, we gave it one of our highest grades in this category with an A. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in determining our inspection grades. One key factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these are quite insignificant. This nursing home was assessed 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be major deficiencies. This tells you that CMS did not consider any of these deficiencies to cause an immediate threat to patient health or safety. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was awarded a positive long-term care score. As a matter of fact, we awarded it a grade of B in that category, which happens to be one of our better. Nursing homes that receive this type of score in long-term care tend to provide consistent around the clock care to ensure patients are kept in good health. In addition to considering the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is much higher than the majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Glendale Healthcare Center?
This nursing home's next best category was nursing. We awarded it a grade of B- in this category. This is basically a middle of the road grade in this category. Our nursing score is based on the facility's level of nurse staffing. We consider both the levels of licensure of the nurses as well as the number of hours spent with residents. This nursing home averages just 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis, which is not an impressive total. Finally, nursing grades also consider quality-based metrics, such as avoiding major falls. Despite not having the highest total nursing hours, this place actually performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is usually a reliable indicator that a facility has quality controls in place. Many falls could be avoided if a facility supplies enough nurses to assist its patients.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we looked at was short-term care. For that category, we awarded this facility a grade of C. In our short-term care assessment, we try to forge a sound gauge for rehabilitation. In this process, we analyze a nursing home's scope of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. Unfortunately, we were not able to locate information about this nursing home's registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 4.5 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most nursing homes, closer to half of their residents are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Glendale Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Glendale Healthcare Center, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols can limit the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Glendale Healthcare Center, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic measures the percent of long-term stay residents who have had falls resulting in severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be an indicator of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Glendale Healthcare Center, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This metric gauges the percent of long-term care patients who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's could be an indicator of a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this datapoint can be misleading for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Glendale Healthcare Center, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents given antipsychotic drugs. These medications are used for a variety of medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Glendale Healthcare Center, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term residents who were administered antianxiety medication. These medications are generally given to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Glendale Healthcare Center, 4.33% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Glendale Healthcare Center, 95.72% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Glendale Healthcare Center, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Glendale Healthcare Center, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In Glendale Healthcare Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Glendale Healthcare Center, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Glendale Healthcare Center, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Glendale Healthcare Center, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Glendale, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Glendale, California has 13 other nursing homes
- Glendale Mem Hospital & Hlth CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.28 miles away1420 S Central Ave Glendale California 91204Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 502-1900
- Glendale Adventist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.95 miles away1509 E Wilson Terrace Glendale California 91206Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 409-8202
- Children's Hosp of Los AngelesChildrens 2.96 miles away4650 Sunset Blvd, Ms 108 Los Angeles California 90027Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 669-2164
- Hollywood Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.1 miles away1300 N Vermont Ave Los Angeles California 90027Proprietary(213) 413-3000
- Providence Saint Joseph Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 4.42 miles away501 South Buena Vista Street Burbank California 91505Voluntary non-profit - Church(818) 843-5111
- Southern California Hospital at HollywoodAcute Care Hospitals 4.53 miles away6245 De Longpre Ave Los Angeles California 90028Proprietary(323) 462-2271
- Saint Vincent Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.81 miles away2131 W 3rd St Los Angeles California 90057Voluntary non-profit - Church(213) 484-7111
- Usc Verdugo Hills HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.59 miles away1812 Verdugo Blvd Glendale California 91209Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 790-7100
- Davita-West Glendale Dialysis0.39 miles away1427 S. Glendale Avenue Glendale California 91205CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (818) 241-0016
- Fmc-West Glendale0.42 miles away623 South Central Avenue Glendale California 91204Dialysis Stations: 24 (818) 240-1065
- Davita-Glendale Dialysis0.86 miles away1000 E. Palmer Avenue Glendale California 91205CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (818) 241-6382
- Davita-North Glendale1.95 miles away1505 Wilson Terrace, Suite 190 Glendale California 91206CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (818) 637-8348
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital Medical Ctr.- Sunset2.14 miles awayDialysis Unit 4700 Sunset Blvd., 2nd Floor Los Angeles California 90027CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (323) 783-5580
- Childrens Hospital of Los Angeles2.14 miles awayDivision of Nephrology (Dialysis) 4650 Sunset Blvd., Box 40 Los Angeles California 90027Dialysis Stations: 10 (323) 361-4788
- Davita-Hollywood Dialysis Center2.97 miles away5108 Sunset Blvd. Los Angeles California 90027CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (323) 913-4010
- u.s. Renal Care Verdugo Hills Dialysis3.42 miles away1808 Verdugo Blvd., Suite 200 Glendale California 91208Dialysis Stations: 25 (818) 790-0712