Glendale Healthcare Center is in Glendale, California. We gave it an overall grade of B-, which is a middle of the road grade. The facilities in Glendale received quality grades across the board with a city grade of a B. One of the better aspects of this nursing home's report card is its strong inspection reports, which you can find in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Glendale Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Glendale senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
The primary reason this nursing home received a decent overall grade is its excellent inspections in recent years. We awarded it one of our better grades in that area, with an A-. This is a notably better score than the place's overall grade, which was decent but certainly not elite. Arguably the most critical factor we look at in determining our inspection grades is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Nursing homes with better grades in this area most likely dodged the most severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. This nursing home received 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This tells you that CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A few minor dings aren't necessarily something to panic about.
Long-term Care Quality
Additionally, we awarded this nursing home a B in our long-term care category. This happens to be one of our more favorable grades. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in long-term care it generally means it's well-staffed and is a quality place to reside on a permanent basis. On top of considering the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is much higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Glendale Healthcare Center?
This facility's next best category grade came in the area of nursing. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of B-. We assessed the levels of nurses working for the facility, in addition to the number of hours those nurses spent with residents, in calculating our rating in this area. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This is a lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, our nursing grades also consider quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. Despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours per resident, this facility performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is usually an indicator that a facility has quality controls in place. Many falls could be avoided if a facility supplies enough nurses aids to assist its patients.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we rated was short-term care, is this nursing home's weakest area. We awarded this nursing home a D in this category. This really was one of the couple of dings on a very solid profile. Short-term care grades are often used to grade a nursing home's rehabilitation services. In order to offer good rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally need to have higher levels of highly skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other highly skilled individuals. Unfortunately, this nursing home was below average in terms of its quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its residents based on the measures we assessed. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of residents that ultimately returned home from this nursing home. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4.1 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Glendale Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Glendale Healthcare Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients that suffered from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We factor in this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Glendale Healthcare Center, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are often linked to poor nursing care. Closer supervision can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Glendale Healthcare Center, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Glendale Healthcare Center, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Glendale Healthcare Center, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Glendale Healthcare Center, 5.83% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents who are exhibiting signs of depression. Some experts believe this is a measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Glendale Healthcare Center, 95.65% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Glendale Healthcare Center, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of the deterioration of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Glendale Healthcare Center, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents that maintained mobility. Some would argue that the ability to move around is important for patients physical and mental well-being.
In Glendale Healthcare Center, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Glendale Healthcare Center, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Glendale Healthcare Center, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Glendale Healthcare Center, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with activities of daily living often correlates with superior rehabilitation.
Scores for Glendale, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Glendale, California has 6 other nursing homes
- Glendale Mem Hospital & Hlth CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.28 miles away1420 S Central Ave Glendale California 91204Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 502-1900
- Glendale Adventist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.95 miles away1509 E Wilson Terrace Glendale California 91206Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 409-8202
- Children's Hosp of Los AngelesChildrens 2.96 miles away4650 Sunset Blvd, Ms 108 Los Angeles California 90027Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 669-2164
- Hollywood Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.1 miles away1300 N Vermont Ave Los Angeles California 90027Proprietary(213) 413-3000
- Providence Saint Joseph Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 4.42 miles away501 South Buena Vista Street Burbank California 91505Voluntary non-profit - Church(818) 843-5111
- Southern California Hospital at HollywoodAcute Care Hospitals 4.53 miles away6245 De Longpre Ave Los Angeles California 90028Proprietary(323) 462-2271
- Saint Vincent Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.81 miles away2131 W 3rd St Los Angeles California 90057Voluntary non-profit - Church(213) 484-7111
- Usc Verdugo Hills HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.59 miles away1812 Verdugo Blvd Glendale California 91209Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 790-7100
- Davita-West Glendale Dialysis0.39 miles away1427 S. Glendale Avenue Glendale California 91205CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (818) 241-0016
- Fmc-West Glendale0.42 miles away623 South Central Avenue Glendale California 91204Dialysis Stations: 24 (818) 240-1065
- Davita-Glendale Dialysis0.86 miles away1000 E. Palmer Avenue Glendale California 91205CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (818) 241-6382
- Davita-North Glendale1.95 miles away1505 Wilson Terrace, Suite 190 Glendale California 91206CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (818) 637-8348
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital Medical Ctr.- Sunset2.14 miles awayDialysis Unit 4700 Sunset Blvd., 2nd Floor Los Angeles California 90027CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (323) 783-5580
- Childrens Hospital of Los Angeles2.14 miles awayDivision of Nephrology (Dialysis) 4650 Sunset Blvd., Box 40 Los Angeles California 90027Dialysis Stations: 10 (323) 361-4788
- Davita-Hollywood Dialysis Center2.97 miles away5108 Sunset Blvd. Los Angeles California 90027CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (323) 913-4010
- u.s. Renal Care Verdugo Hills Dialysis3.42 miles away1808 Verdugo Blvd., Suite 200 Glendale California 91208Dialysis Stations: 25 (818) 790-0712