Glenburnie Rehab & Nursing Center is in the large metropolitan area of Richmond, Virginia. With an overall score of F, we consider this to be a very poor nursing home. This nursing home is really as bad as it gets. We wouldn't blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this facility's category grades, we will discuss short-term care in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Glenburnie Rehab & Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Richmond senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
Although we graded this facility incredibly poorly overall, it received a decent short-term care grade this year. We gave it a B- in that area. Short-term care grades are typically employed to grade a facility's performance with rehabilitation. In order to have highly scored rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally must feature higher levels of highly skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other highly trained professionals. In this facility's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the typical facility. The hope is that this does not adversely affect the quality of care. The last statistic we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that just 6.3 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is below average.
This nursing home performed well in inspections as well. We awarded it a B- for this category, which is a solid score. Inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these factors by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This nursing home was hit with 6 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This means that the government inspectors did not deem any of these deficiencies to pose an imminent risk to resident health or safety. A couple minor deficiencies are not the end of the world.
Does this page answer your questions about Glenburnie Rehab & Nursing Center?
Turning to the area of nursing care, this facility received a grade of just D in this category. Nursing grades are tied to quality and quantity of nursing care. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we scored is long-term care. It received an F for this area, which is an abysmal score. Facilities that don't score well in long-term care often don't provide as much nursing care and also may be lagging in a few of the areas of routine medical care we assessed. After looking at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination data. Unfortunately, this nursing home vaccinated just 70.125786 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Surprisingly, this nursing home was actually decent at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. This is its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Glenburnie Rehab & Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Glenburnie Rehab & Nursing Center, 8.53% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who have new or worsened pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a great measure of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Glenburnie Rehab & Nursing Center, 3.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents that have had a major fall. Falls leading to severe injury are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls leading to injury are often the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Glenburnie Rehab & Nursing Center, 2.25% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many experts to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely associated with a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this datapoint can be misleading for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Glenburnie Rehab & Nursing Center, 15.09% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These drugs may be used for treating a variety of conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Glenburnie Rehab & Nursing Center, 19.63% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients who were prescribed antianxiety medication. These drugs are used to treat patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Glenburnie Rehab & Nursing Center, 5.07% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. High levels of depression could indicate worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Glenburnie Rehab & Nursing Center, 88.92% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Glenburnie Rehab & Nursing Center, 17.15% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Glenburnie Rehab & Nursing Center, 18.14% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term care residents that remained mobile levels.
In Glenburnie Rehab & Nursing Center, 1.38 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is key to preserving the physical well-being of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Glenburnie Rehab & Nursing Center, 18.14 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Glenburnie Rehab & Nursing Center, 12.25 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to assess short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Glenburnie Rehab & Nursing Center, 74.96% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts argue that this is a measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Richmond, VA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Richmond, Virginia has 4 other nursing homes
- Bon Secours St Marys HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.55 miles away5801 Bremo Rd Richmond Virginia 23226Voluntary non-profit - Church(804) 285-2011
- Henrico Doctors' HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.05 miles away1602 Skipwith Road Henrico Virginia 23229Voluntary non-profit - Other(804) 289-4500
- Cjw Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.21 miles away7101 Jahnke Road Richmond Virginia 23235Proprietary(804) 320-3911
- Bon Secours Richmond Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.28 miles away1500 N. 28th Street Richmond Virginia 23223Voluntary non-profit - Private(804) 225-1700
- Bon Secours Memorial Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.02 miles away8260 Atlee Road Mechanicsville Virginia 23116Voluntary non-profit - Church(804) 764-6000
- Bon Secours St Francis Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.08 miles away13710 St Francis Boulevard Midlothian Virginia 23114Voluntary non-profit - Church(804) 594-7400
- Westhampton Dialysis Center LLC0.87 miles away5320 Patterson Avenue Richmond Virginia 23226Dialysis Stations: 17 (804) 285-3394
- Glenside Dialysis1.55 miles away7001 West Broad Street Suite C Henrico Virginia 23294Dialysis Stations: 21 (804) 755-2368
- Bma - West End2.44 miles away1501 Santa Rosa Rd Henrico Virginia 23229CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (804) 288-5053
- Forest Park Dialysis Center2.49 miles away1603 Santa Rosa Rd Ste 100 Henrico Virginia 23229Dialysis Stations: 16 (804) 288-2751
- Fresenius Kidney Care Laurel Park3.04 miles away4008 East Parham Road Henrico Virginia 23228Dialysis Stations: 13 (804) 553-7880
- Three Chopt Dialysis3.09 miles away8813 Three Chopt Rd Henrico Virginia 23229Dialysis Stations: 16 (804) 282-6791
- Davita - Henrico County3.17 miles away5270 Chamberlayne Rd Richmond Virginia 23227Dialysis Stations: 26 (804) 262-8077
- Rai - West Leigh-Richmond4.01 miles away800 W Leigh Street Suite B Richmond Virginia 23220CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (804) 649-8070