Glenburnie Rehab & Nursing Center is in the large metropolitan area of Richmond, Virginia. With an overall score of F, we consider this to be a very poor nursing home. This nursing home is really as bad as it gets. We wouldn't blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this facility's category grades, inspection reports are discussed in the next section.
Glenburnie Rehab & Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
While we graded this facility incredibly poorly overall, it received a fairly respectable inspection report this year. As a result, it received a decent grade in that category with a score of B-. Our inspection scores are tied to several datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key item to look for on these inspections. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to resident safety. This place received 6 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered severe. This tells you that the government inspectors did not consider any of these deficiencies to pose an immediate threat to resident health or safety. A few minor deficiencies are not the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
Surprisingly, we gave this facility a B- for its short-term care score, which isn't a bad grade. Our short-term care scores are arguably most important for folks in need of a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually requires more highly-skilled nursing services. This means not only nursing, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. We found that this facility was below average in the two key staffing areas we looked at. The facility supplied fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. It is still important to determine whether this is adversely impacting the quality of care. The last item we looked at in this category is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that just 6.4 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Glenburnie Rehab & Nursing Center?
This facility ended up receiving rock bottom score in our nursing category. It received an F in this category. There are numerous subcategories included in this area. Most of the criteria relate to the quantity of nurse staffing. With a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day, this place's nurse staffing levels were far below the national average. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing grades. This facility performed well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we scored is long-term care. Sadly, it received an F in this area, which is a rock bottom score. Facilities that receive this kind of grade in long-term care may not provide the kind of consistent around the clock care that some other facilities offer. After looking at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination data. Unfortunately, this nursing home vaccinated only 85.22012 percent of its patients against pneumonia. To our surprise, this nursing home was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home had less hospitalizations than many nursing homes. This was its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Glenburnie Rehab & Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Glenburnie Rehab & Nursing Center, 8.8% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Glenburnie Rehab & Nursing Center, 3.62% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are routinely associated with poor nursing care. Better nursing protocols can minimize the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Glenburnie Rehab & Nursing Center, 2.59% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of nursing care . UTI's are routinely linked to poor nursing care. However, this statistic could also be misleading for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Glenburnie Rehab & Nursing Center, 13.53% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Glenburnie Rehab & Nursing Center, 20.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are administered to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Glenburnie Rehab & Nursing Center, 3.59% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who are exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Glenburnie Rehab & Nursing Center, 91.36% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Glenburnie Rehab & Nursing Center, 16.53% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and eating. Some experts would argue this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Glenburnie Rehab & Nursing Center, 23.38% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents that remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In Glenburnie Rehab & Nursing Center, 1.23 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Glenburnie Rehab & Nursing Center, 23.38 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Glenburnie Rehab & Nursing Center, 11.33 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Glenburnie Rehab & Nursing Center, 75.1% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many believe this is a measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Richmond, VA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Richmond, Virginia has 9 other nursing homes
- Bon Secours St Marys HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.55 miles away5801 Bremo Rd Richmond Virginia 23226Voluntary non-profit - Church(804) 285-2011
- Henrico Doctors' HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.05 miles away1602 Skipwith Road Henrico Virginia 23229Voluntary non-profit - Other(804) 289-4500
- Cjw Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.21 miles away7101 Jahnke Road Richmond Virginia 23235Proprietary(804) 320-3911
- Bon Secours Richmond Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.28 miles away1500 N. 28th Street Richmond Virginia 23223Voluntary non-profit - Private(804) 225-1700
- Bon Secours Memorial Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.02 miles away8260 Atlee Road Mechanicsville Virginia 23116Voluntary non-profit - Church(804) 764-6000
- Bon Secours St Francis Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.08 miles away13710 St Francis Boulevard Midlothian Virginia 23114Voluntary non-profit - Church(804) 594-7400
- Westhampton Dialysis Center LLC0.87 miles away5320 Patterson Avenue Richmond Virginia 23226Dialysis Stations: 17 (804) 285-3394
- Glenside Dialysis1.55 miles away7001 West Broad Street Suite C Henrico Virginia 23294Dialysis Stations: 21 (804) 755-2368
- Bma - West End2.44 miles away1501 Santa Rosa Rd Henrico Virginia 23229CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (804) 288-5053
- Forest Park Dialysis Center2.49 miles away1603 Santa Rosa Rd Ste 100 Henrico Virginia 23229Dialysis Stations: 16 (804) 288-2751
- Fresenius Kidney Care Laurel Park3.04 miles away4008 East Parham Road Henrico Virginia 23228Dialysis Stations: 13 (804) 553-7880
- Three Chopt Dialysis3.09 miles away8813 Three Chopt Rd Henrico Virginia 23229Dialysis Stations: 16 (804) 282-6791
- Davita - Henrico County3.17 miles away5270 Chamberlayne Rd Richmond Virginia 23227Dialysis Stations: 26 (804) 262-8077
- Rai - West Leigh-Richmond4.01 miles away800 W Leigh Street Suite B Richmond Virginia 23220CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (804) 649-8070