Glen Meadows Retirement Com. is a small non-profit nursing home located in Glen Arm, Maryland. With an overall rating of A, this nursing home is among the most elite nursing homes we found. We were so impressed with this nursing home that we ranked it in the top 20 percent of all facilities in the United States. Headlining this place's exemplary profile is its short-term care rating, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Glen Meadows Retirement Com.
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this facility received an impressive grade of A in our short-term care category. Our short-term care scores are thought to be more critical for people in need of a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically utilizes more highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means not just nursing services, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last statistic we looked at in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that 5.8 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Adding to this nursing home's impressive resume, we gave this nursing home an A for inspections. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in determining our inspection scores. One key factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is usually more important than the number of deficiencies, as some end up being quite insignificant. Fortunately, although this place had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means CMS did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Glen Meadows Retirement Com.?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was strong in the category of long-term care, where we gave it a score of A-. Not many nursing homes performed better in this area. For long-term care residents, the primary objective is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate residents. After considering the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 90.196075 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which happens to be a few points below what we were hoping for but still a reasonably acceptable figure. Although its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we like to see, at least this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Turning to our last area, this nursing home was awarded a high-end nursing rating. In fact, we awarded it an A- in that area, rounding out a straight A profile. Nursing ratings are based largely on quantity of nursing care available. This nursing home provides 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Glen Meadows Retirement Com. Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Glen Meadows Retirement Com., 10.35% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care limits the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Glen Meadows Retirement Com., 2.83% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric tells you the percent of long-term care patients that have had a fall leading to serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Glen Meadows Retirement Com., 2.06% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term residents which experienced a UTI. UTI's could be an indicator of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this datapoint could be skewed for some facilities due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Glen Meadows Retirement Com., 13.12% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Glen Meadows Retirement Com., 14.71% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that are given antianxiety drugs. These medications are used to treat patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Glen Meadows Retirement Com., 10.05% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. High rates of depression may imply lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Glen Meadows Retirement Com., 92.62% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Glen Meadows Retirement Com., 19.85% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and bathing.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Glen Meadows Retirement Com., 8.9 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to assess patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Glen Meadows Retirement Com., 73.77% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- University of Md St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.6 miles away7601 Osler Drive Towson Maryland 21204Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 337-1000
- Medstar Franklin Square Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.64 miles away9000 Franklin Square Drive Rosedale Maryland 21237Voluntary non-profit - Private(443) 777-7850
- Greater Baltimore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.06 miles away6701 North Charles Street Towson Maryland 21204Voluntary non-profit - Private(443) 849-2000
- Medstar Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.14 miles away5601 Loch Raven Boulevard Baltimore Maryland 21239Voluntary non-profit - Other(443) 444-3902
- Medstar Union Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.59 miles away201 East University Parkway Baltimore Maryland 21218Voluntary non-profit - Other(410) 554-2227
- Sinai Hospital of BaltimoreAcute Care Hospitals 10.12 miles away2401 West Belvedere Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21215Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 601-5131
- Umd Upper Chesapeake Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.3 miles away500 Upper Chesapeake Drive Bel Air Maryland 21014Voluntary non-profit - Other(443) 643-3303
- Kennedy Krieger InstituteChildrens 11.01 miles away707 North Broadway Baltimore Maryland 21205Voluntary non-profit - Private(443) 923-9301
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Cromwell3.93 miles away8710 Emge Rd Parkville Maryland 21234Dialysis Stations: 6 (410) 661-0801
- Fmc of Porter Dialysis - White Marsh4.92 miles away8013 Corporate Dr Ste K Nottingham Maryland 21236Dialysis Stations: 19 (410) 931-2478
- Davita Dulaney Towson Dialysis Center5.81 miles away113 West Road Towson Maryland 21204CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (410) 825-3690
- Fresenius Medical Care Towson6.11 miles away7801 York Road, Ste. 150 Towson Maryland 21204Dialysis Stations: 16 (410) 321-0853
- Fmc of Porter Dialysis - Rosedale6.38 miles away5235 King Ave Suite 110 & 112 Rosedale Maryland 21237Dialysis Stations: 18 (410) 918-0991
- Coldsprings Dialysis, LLC6.52 miles away4700 Hartford Road Baltimore Maryland 21214Dialysis Stations: 6 (443) 444-4907
- Davita Harford Road Dialysis Center6.62 miles away5800 Harford Road Baltimore Maryland 21214CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (410) 444-1544
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Manor Care7.05 miles away6600 Ridge Rd Rosedale Maryland 21237Dialysis Stations: 6 (410) 780-7355