Glen Island Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation is one of only three facilities located in New Rochelle, New York. With an overall rating of C, this appears to be a respectable facility. Based on our assessment, this place has some redeeming qualities. This place didn't fare well in every category we looked at, but it did not receive any terrible grades either. More information about these categories is available below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Glen Island Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on New Rochelle senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its relatively modest overall score, we awarded this facility an A+ for its inspection grade. This grade is far better than its overall rating. Our inspection grades weigh a host of factors found on a nursing home's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we look at is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with better grades in this category tend to have very few severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is always a good sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's more impressive category grades came in the area of long-term care. In that area, we gave this nursing home a grade of B. For prospective patients in need of a permanent place to live as opposed to skilled nursing, long-term care grades are very important. On top of considering the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 85.947716 percent of its residents, which is a bit less than we anticipated. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Glen Island Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation?
Turning to another strength for this facility, it also received an elite nursing grade. We gave this facility a grade of D. We looked at the qualifications of nurses working for the nursing home, as well as the quantity of hours those nurses spent with residents, in calculating our score in this area. This facility averaged only 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is well below average. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing ratings. This place performed well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Short-term Care Quality
The last area we looked at is short-term care, which turned out to be this nursing home's least impressive area. We awarded this facility a D in that category. Our short-term care grade is often employed to score a facility's performance with rehabilitation. To offer highly scored rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally need to feature better levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other licensed professionals. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. Finally, we looked at the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that just 4.3 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Glen Island Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Glen Island Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 10.7% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term patients who developed pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are an indicator of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Glen Island Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 0.65% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a fall which caused major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Glen Island Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 1.52% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of long-term care patients that have experienced a UTI. While more of these infections may reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it is problematic to compare between nursing homes due to facilities having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Glen Island Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 10.33% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Glen Island Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 13.58% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are given to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Glen Island Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 18.13% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Glen Island Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 88.15% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Glen Island Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 21.47% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Glen Island Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 19.86% of Residents
This is the percentage of patients who maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Glen Island Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is key to the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Glen Island Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 19.86% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Glen Island Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 11.55% of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Glen Island Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 77.71% of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts believe that this is a measure of rehabilitation services.
- Montefiore New Rochelle HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.26 miles away16 Guion Place New Rochelle New York 10802Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 632-5000
- Montefiore Mount Vernon HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.23 miles away12 North 7th Avenue Mount Vernon New York 10550Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 664-8000
- Jacobi Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.33 miles away1400 Pelham Parkway South Bronx New York 10461Government - Local(718) 918-5000
- Montefiore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.21 miles away111 East 210th Street Bronx New York 10467Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 920-4321
- St Joseph's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.38 miles away127 South Broadway Yonkers New York 10701Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 378-7000
- St Barnabas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.49 miles away4422 Third Avenue Bronx New York 10457Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 960-9000
- St John's Riverside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.29 miles away976 North Broadway Yonkers New York 10701Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 964-4444
- Bronx-Lebanon Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.78 miles away1276 Fulton Avenue Bronx New York 10456Proprietary(212) 588-7000
- New York Dialysis Services, Inc.1.26 miles away16 Guion Place New Rochelle New York 10802CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (914) 235-6878
- Westchester Center for Renal Care2.59 miles away10 Claremont Ave Mount Vernon New York 10550Dialysis Stations: 9 (914) 512-9379
- Davita Boston Post Road Dialysis Center2.68 miles away4026 Boston Road Bronx New York 10475CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 862-9245
- Davita Sandford Boulevard Dialysis2.9 miles away120 E. Sanford Blvd Mount Vernon New York 10550Dialysis Stations: 8 (914) 665-2035
- Mount Vernon Dialysis,LLC3.23 miles away12 North 7th Avenue 3rd Floor Mount Vernon New York 10550CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (914) 665-4343
- Workmen's Circle Dialysis Center3.26 miles away3155 Grace Avenue Bronx New York 10469Dialysis Stations: 12 (718) 379-8100
- Kings Harbor Health Services LLC3.49 miles away2020 East Gun Hill Road Bronx New York 10469Dialysis Stations: 9 (718) 320-1335
- Davita Laconia Dialysis3.73 miles away3440 Boston Road Bronx New York 10469Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 798-0538