Glen Island Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation is a large nursing home located in New Rochelle, New York. This is a decent facility, with an overall grade of B-. Based on our ratings, this facility likely wouldn't be a bad choice. One of the best aspects of this facility's profile is its remarkable inspection rating, which we will address in the next section.
Glen Island Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
490 Pelham Road,
New Rochelle NY 10805
94.48% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
This facility earned a solid overall grade as described above, but we really wanted to emphasize its nearly flawless health inspection reports in recent years. We gave them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. Our inspection grades are based on pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that score well in this category have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these places should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was given an impressive long-term care grade. As a matter of fact, we gave it a B+ in that area, which happens to be one of our better. If you are looking for services other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each facility's long-term care grades. After considering the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 84.34622 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is a bit less than we anticipated but still a respectable figure. Finally, we looked at its number of hospitalizations. While it had 2.82 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, its risk adjusted metric was close to the national average since it had some more complex patients.
Does this page answer your questions about Glen Island Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation?
Short-term Care Quality
The third category we analyzed is short-term care. In that area, we gave this nursing home a decent grade of B-. Short-term care ratings are meaningful for residents requiring rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically utilizes additional skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means a broad range of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. This nursing home is above the national average in terms of its level of physical therapy and registered nurse staffing provided to its patients. These are generally good indicators of quality short-term care. The last metric we considered in this area is the number of residents who eventually returned home from the nursing home. It fared better than most nursing homes in this metric with 54.6 percent of its residents returning home.
The final category we rated is nursing, is this facility's weakest area. We gave this facility a D in that category. This is one of just a few weak points in an otherwise impressive report card. There are a variety of subcategories included in this grade. Most of the factors relate to the quantity and quality of nurse staffing. This nursing home offered just 2.6 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. On top of receiving below average marks for nursing hours, this place was a bit less impressive in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at in computing our nursing ratings. We looked at the percent of patients sustaining pressure ulcers and found this place was at roughly 150 percent of the national average in this statistic.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Glen Island Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Glen Island Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 9.64% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Glen Island Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 3.1% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients who have had a fall which caused serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Glen Island Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 2.09% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often the result of facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Additional nurse staffing can minimize the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. We want to point out that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Glen Island Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 11.62% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Glen Island Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 13.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This gauges the percentage of long-term residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Glen Island Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 13.02% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents demonstrating symptoms of depression. Increased levels of depression could be a sign worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Glen Island Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 92.45% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these types of vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Glen Island Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 14.69% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Glen Island Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 18.9% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Glen Island Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Glen Island Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 18.9 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Glen Island Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 8.78 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Glen Island Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation, 74.53% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some experts argue this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for New Rochelle, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? New Rochelle, New York has 5 other nursing homes
- Montefiore New Rochelle HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.26 miles away16 Guion Place New Rochelle New York 10802Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 632-5000
- Montefiore Mount Vernon HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.23 miles away12 North 7th Avenue Mount Vernon New York 10550Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 664-8000
- Jacobi Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.33 miles away1400 Pelham Parkway South Bronx New York 10461Government - Local(718) 918-5000
- Montefiore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.21 miles away111 East 210th Street Bronx New York 10467Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 920-4321
- St Joseph's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.38 miles away127 South Broadway Yonkers New York 10701Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 378-7000
- St Barnabas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.49 miles away4422 Third Avenue Bronx New York 10457Voluntary non-profit - Private(212) 960-9000
- St John's Riverside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.29 miles away976 North Broadway Yonkers New York 10701Voluntary non-profit - Private(914) 964-4444
- Bronx-Lebanon Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.78 miles away1276 Fulton Avenue Bronx New York 10456Proprietary(212) 588-7000
- New York Dialysis Services, Inc.1.26 miles away16 Guion Place New Rochelle New York 10802CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (914) 235-6878
- Westchester Center for Renal Care2.59 miles away10 Claremont Ave Mount Vernon New York 10550Dialysis Stations: 9 (914) 512-9379
- Davita Boston Post Road Dialysis Center2.68 miles away4026 Boston Road Bronx New York 10475CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 862-9245
- Davita Sandford Boulevard Dialysis2.9 miles away120 E. Sanford Blvd Mount Vernon New York 10550Dialysis Stations: 8 (914) 665-2035
- Mount Vernon Dialysis,LLC3.23 miles away12 North 7th Avenue 3rd Floor Mount Vernon New York 10550CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (914) 665-4343
- Workmen's Circle Dialysis Center3.26 miles away3155 Grace Avenue Bronx New York 10469Dialysis Stations: 12 (718) 379-8100
- Kings Harbor Health Services LLC3.49 miles away2020 East Gun Hill Road Bronx New York 10469Dialysis Stations: 9 (718) 320-1335
- Davita Laconia Dialysis3.73 miles away3440 Boston Road Bronx New York 10469Dialysis Stations: 24 (718) 798-0538