Generations at Regency is located in Niles, Illinois. We awarded this facility an overall grade of D. A grade in this range typically indicates a few concerning datapoints. To our surprise, it turned out to be one of the three highest graded facilities in Niles. We wouldn't blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this place's category grades, inspection grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Generations at Regency
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
6631 Milwaukee Avenue,
Niles IL 60714
61.3% estimated occupancy 1
Note: Generations at Regency has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
Although we did not have many favorable things to say about this place's overall grade, it earned a somewhat respectable inspection report this year. It received a decent grade in this category with a B-. Inspection grades are tied to datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key item to look for on these inspections. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to patient safety. This particular nursing home received 2 deficiencies on its inspection report. Another area of concern is that CMS flagged this nursing home for possible abuse or neglect. This is not what you want to see. We advise you to direct your search elsewhere.
Short-term Care Quality
The second most favorable area we awarded this nursing home in any category came in the area of short-term care, where we awarded it a B-. In the category of short-term care, we try to qualify measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. Unfortunately, we found that this place provided fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. Finally, we looked at the number of residents who were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 5.5 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was actually quite a bit below the national average.
Does this page answer your questions about Generations at Regency?
Long-term Care Quality
The third best category we awarded this nursing home in any area came in the area of long-term care, where we gave it a grade of C. Our long-term care scores are vital for people needing personal care. On top of considering the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. Candidly, we were a bit concerned this nursing home vaccinated only 79.11585 percent of its patients. Nevertheless, this nursing home was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
The last category we rated is nursing, which proved to be a weak spot for this nursing home. We gave this nursing home a D for the area of nursing. Our nursing score includes many subcategories. The most heavily weighted factor is the quantity of hours nurses spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing scores. This facility fared well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Generations at Regency Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Generations at Regency, 8.73% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Generations at Regency, 3.45% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents who have had a major fall. Falls leading to severe injury are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls leading to injury are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Generations at Regency, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that have suffered from a UTI. UTI's could be an indicator of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this metric can also be skewed for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Generations at Regency, 18.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many patients, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Generations at Regency, 19.04% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric indicates the percent of long-term patients that are prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are typically prescribed to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Generations at Regency, 30.45% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients who are exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Generations at Regency, 87.4% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Generations at Regency, 13.9% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Generations at Regency, 17.56% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that remained mobile levels.
In Generations at Regency, 1.66 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Generations at Regency, 17.56 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Generations at Regency, 11.82 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Generations at Regency, 71.65% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Niles, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Niles, Illinois has 5 other nursing homes
- Presence Resurrection Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.43 miles away7435 W Talcott Avenue Chicago Illinois 60631Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 774-8000
- Advocate Lutheran General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.88 miles away1775 Dempster St Park Ridge Illinois 60068Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 723-2210
- Community First Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.07 miles away5645 W Addison Street Chicago Illinois 60634Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 282-7000
- Swedish Covenant HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.1 miles away5145 N California Ave Chicago Illinois 60625Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 878-8200
- Presence Saint Francis HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.67 miles away355 Ridge Ave Evanston Illinois 60202Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 316-4000
- Methodist Hospital of ChicagoAcute Care Hospitals 6.48 miles away5025 N Paulina Street Chicago Illinois 60640Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 271-9040
- Loyola Gottlieb Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.98 miles away701 West North Ave Melrose Park Illinois 60160Voluntary non-profit - Private(708) 681-3200
- Northshore University Healthsystem Evanston HospAcute Care Hospitals 7.08 miles away2650 Ridge Ave Evanston Illinois 60201Voluntary non-profit - Other(847) 432-8000
- Davita - Norwood Park Dialysis1.16 miles away7435 W Talcott Ave - Outpatient Dialysis Chicago Illinois 60631Dialysis Stations: 14 (773) 990-7620
- Davita - Big Oaks Dialysis1.39 miles away5623 W. Touhy Avenue Niles Illinois 60714Dialysis Stations: 12 (847) 647-3140
- Center for Renal Replacement, LLC2.71 miles away7301 North Lincoln Ave., Ste 205 Lincolnwood Illinois 60712Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 675-5555
- Fmc - Norridge3.44 miles away4701 North Cumberland Avenue, Ste 15/18a Harwood Heights Illinois 60706CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (708) 456-0152
- Fmc - Niles3.94 miles away9371 Milwaukee Ave. Niles Illinois 60714CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (847) 581-0334
- Fmc - Skokie Dialysis4.29 miles away9801 Woods Dr Skokie Illinois 60076Dialysis Stations: 14 (847) 581-1620
- Davita Irving Park Dialysis4.38 miles away4323 N Pulaski Road Chicago Illinois 60641Dialysis Stations: 12 (773) 279-8714
- Davita - Montclare Dialysis4.56 miles away7009 W Belmont Avenue Chicago Illinois 60634CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 889-6051