Gateway Care & Rehabilitation Center is on a list of 16 possibilities in Hayward, California. With an overall score of B-, this appears to be a middle of the road facility. This grade was right in line with the city grade in Hayward. One of the better aspects of this nursing home's report card is its strong inspection rating, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Gateway Care & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
We want to point out that this nursing home really outperformed its overall grade in the area of inspections. In fact, it received an excellent government inspection report this year. As a result, we gave it one of our best scores in this area with a grade of A-. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating our inspection grades. One critical factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some can be quite minor. Although this place had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. We should note that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in the industry.
Short-term Care Quality
We also awarded this nursing home a favorable grade in short-term care. This nursing home received a B+ in this area, which is one of our higher scores. In calculating our short-term care ratings, we analyze a nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This category is more often than not a reliable assessment of a facility's rehabilitation services. Unfortunately, it does not appear that this facility submitted information about its staffing of registered nurses or physical therapists. The last item we looked at in this category is the percentage of residents that ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Gateway Care & Rehabilitation Center?
We also gave this nursing home a decent score in the category of nursing care, with a grade of B-. In calculating a nursing home's nursing rating, we look at the quantity of hours nurses are with patients as well as the level of licensure of those nurses. This nursing home averages just 0 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home excelled in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at. It performed well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we graded is long-term care. We awarded this nursing home a grade of D in long-term care, leaving this as its worst area. Nursing homes that do not fare well in long-term care typically are not as well-staffed and are lagging in a few of the areas of routine healthcare services we assessed. After considering the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination statistics. We were concerned by the fact that this nursing home vaccinated just 89.10891 percent of its patients against pneumonia. To our surprise, this nursing home was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility had less hospitalizations than most nursing homes. This was its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Gateway Care & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Gateway Care & Rehabilitation Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often caused by patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Gateway Care & Rehabilitation Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term care residents that have sustained a fall which resulted in severe injury. We use this statistic in determining our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Gateway Care & Rehabilitation Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents which experienced UTI's. UTI's could be an indication of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this datapoint could also be misleading for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Gateway Care & Rehabilitation Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. These medications are sometimes used to treat several medical conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Gateway Care & Rehabilitation Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are administered to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Gateway Care & Rehabilitation Center, 4.64% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Gateway Care & Rehabilitation Center, 95.44% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Gateway Care & Rehabilitation Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Gateway Care & Rehabilitation Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents that were able to retain mobility.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Gateway Care & Rehabilitation Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Scores for Hayward, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Hayward, California has 15 other nursing homes
- St Rose HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.69 miles away27200 Calaroga Ave Hayward California 94545Voluntary non-profit - Church(510) 782-6200
- San Leandro HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.22 miles away13855 E 14th Street San Leandro California 94578Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 357-6500
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - San LeandroAcute Care Hospitals 6.75 miles away2500 Merced Street San Leandro California 94577Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 454-1000
- Washington HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.99 miles away2000 Mowry Ave Fremont California 94538Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 797-1111
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - FremontAcute Care Hospitals 8.52 miles away39400 Paseo Padre Pkwy Fremont California 94538Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 784-4000
- San Ramon Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.41 miles away6001 Norris Canyon Road San Ramon California 94583Proprietary(925) 275-9200
- Stanford Health Care - ValleycareAcute Care Hospitals 11.43 miles away5555 West Las Positas Boulevard Pleasanton California 94588Voluntary non-profit - Private(925) 447-7000
- Alameda HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.84 miles away2070 Clinton Avenue Alameda California 94501Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 522-3700
- South Hayward Dialysis Center1.44 miles away254 Jackson Street Hayward California 94544CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 583-1255
- Hayward1.72 miles away1661 Industrial Parkway West Hayward California 94544CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 266-5743
- Hayward Dialysis Center2.41 miles away21615 Hesperian Boulevard Suite F Hayward California 94541CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (510) 780-9094
- East Bay Peritoneal Dialysis4.76 miles away13939 E 14th Street Ste 110 San Leandro California 94578Dialysis Stations: 4 (510) 614-1380
- Union City Dialysis Center4.79 miles away32930 Alvarado-Niles Road #300 Union City California 94587CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 38 (510) 489-6996
- San Leandro Dialysis4.97 miles away15555 East 14th Street Suite 520 San Leandro California 94578CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 317-6510
- Satellite Dialysis West San Leandro6.6 miles away2401 Merced St Suite 110 San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 746-3900
- San Leandro Marina Dialysis Center6.63 miles away2551 Merced St San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 352-1207