Montclair Care Center is a facility in Montclair, New Jersey, a city with 37,737 people. This nursing home was given an A- overall, which is one of our more impressive scores. In fact, we ranked this nursing home in the top 25 percent of all facilities in the United States. If you scroll down, you can see this place's category scores, which are also quite good.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Montclair Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Montclair senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Blood Administration
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with a strong overall grade, we awarded this place an A+ for our inspection category. Our inspection ratings are tied to items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that receive favorable grades in this area have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these places should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. This place received 5 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This indicates that the inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies to be an imminent threat to resident health or safety. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
Compounding its strong assessments in other areas, we gave this facility a grade of A for our short-term care rating. Short-term care grades are often employed to gauge a facility's performance with rehabilitation. To have highly rated rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally need to provide higher levels of highly skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other licensed professionals. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. However, based on the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we considered the percentage of patients who ultimately were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 6.3 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Montclair Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home is also strong in the category of long-term care, where it received a score of B. It outpaced most nursing homes in this area. Nursing homes that receive this kind of grade in long-term care tend to provide consistent around the clock care to make sure patients are well cared for. Once we assessed the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients out of the hospital. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
The final category we looked at was nursing. This facility was awarded a better than average nursing score this year, with a grade of B. Although this was not nearly as elite as some of its other grades, this is nevertheless one of the stronger scores in this category. There are quite a few factors within this area. Many of the data points relate to the quantity and quality of nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as having a policy of moving patients more frequently.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Montclair Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Montclair Care Center, 8.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Montclair Care Center, 2.79% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents that had a fall which caused serious injury. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Montclair Care Center, 1.44% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Montclair Care Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. These medications may be used for a variety of conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Montclair Care Center, 17.29% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are given to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Montclair Care Center, 6.37% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Montclair Care Center, 89.73% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Montclair Care Center, 10.05% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Montclair Care Center, 10.04% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents that retained mobility levels. Many believe that mobility is vital to patients physical and mental health.
In Montclair Care Center, 1.88 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Montclair Care Center, 10.04 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Montclair Care Center, 9.47 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Montclair Care Center, 81.82% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry believe this is a measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
- Essex County Hospital CenterPsychiatric 3.15 miles away204 Grove Avenue Cedar Grove New Jersey 07009Government - Local(973) 571-2801
- East Orange General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.72 miles away300 Central Ave East Orange New Jersey 07018Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 266-4401
- University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.81 miles away150 Bergen St Newark New Jersey 07101Government - State(973) 972-5658
- Saint Barnabas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.18 miles away94 Old Short Hills Road Livingston New Jersey 07039Voluntary non-profit - Other(973) 322-5000
- St Mary's General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.71 miles away350 Boulevard Passaic New Jersey 07055Proprietary(973) 365-4300
- Newark Beth Israel Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.76 miles away201 Lyons Ave Newark New Jersey 07112Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 926-7850
- St Joseph's University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.31 miles away703 Main St Paterson New Jersey 07503Voluntary non-profit - Church(973) 754-2010
- Hudson Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.79 miles away55 Meadowlands Pkwy Secaucus New Jersey 07094Proprietary(201) 392-3200
- Fresenius Medical Care North Montclair1.02 miles away114 Valley Road Montclair New Jersey 07042CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (973) 744-2058
- Mountainside Hospital1.18 miles awayDialysis Unit 1 Bay Avenue Montclair New Jersey 07042Dialysis Stations: 30 (973) 429-6767
- Fmc Bloomfield Dc1.77 miles away206 Belleville Avenue Bloomfield New Jersey 07003CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (973) 680-8100
- Total Renal Care, Inc West Orange Dialysis2.24 miles away375 Mount Pleasant Avenue Ste 340 West Orange New Jersey 07052Dialysis Stations: 19 (973) 243-7069
- Fkc Belleville2.74 miles away36 Newark Avenue Suite 304 Belleville New Jersey 07109Dialysis Stations: 16 (973) 450-0385
- Davita East Orange Dialysis2.76 miles away14-20 Prospect Street East Orange New Jersey 07017CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (973) 672-2025
- Fmc Orange Dc2.93 miles away258 Central Ave Orange New Jersey 07050CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (973) 675-3400
- Ea Orange Gen Hospital2.93 miles away310 Central Avenue Medical Arts Building - Dialysis Unit East Orange New Jersey 07017CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (973) 395-4035