With more than 20 options to choose from in Saint Louis, Missouri, Garrison Care Center is one of the multitude of facilities. Our grading scheme was not kind to this nursing home, as it received an overall grade of F. Keep in mind that Saint Louis received a city grade of C, so should look at other options in the city as well. We would not blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this place's category grades, inspection grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Garrison Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
2939 Magazine Ave,
Saint Louis MO 63106
62.11% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
While this place's overall grade was as bad as it gets, it actually didn't perform terribly in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a B- for that category, which is one of our better scores. Our inspection grades account for a host of factors found on a facility's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we consider is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. While this nursing home had some deficiencies on its report, none were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. A few minor deficiencies are not necessarily the end of the world.
Short-term Care Quality
We also wanted to point out this nursing home's unfortunate short-term care grade where it was given a lowly F. Our short-term care ratings are based on a nursing home's quantity of skilled nursing services. This means a broad range of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, not to mention other forms of therapy. Considering its score in this area, we weren't stunned to find that this place was well below average in terms of the quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its residents based on the measures we assessed. Honestly, this was about what we expected to find. Lastly, we looked at the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Garrison Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
Tragically, we gave this facility an F for its long-term care score. Facilities that receive this type of grade in this category may not provide the type of consistent 24/7 care that some other nursing homes offer. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. We found that this facility administered the vaccine to only 41.477276 percent of its residents, which is well below average. Surprisingly, this nursing home was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility had less hospitalizations than many nursing homes. This is its best feature in this category.
The final category we graded is nursing. Sadly, it received an F in this area, which is a very poor grade. The nursing rating includes a variety of factors. The most heavily weighted variable is the quantity of hours nurses spend with patients. This place averaged a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This number is quite a bit below the national average. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home fared well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Garrison Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Garrison Care Center, 9.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Garrison Care Center, 3.89% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a fall leading to severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Garrison Care Center, 3.39% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely linked to a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this metric could also be misleading for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Garrison Care Center, 20.47% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term stay patients that are administered antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically indicated. However, some nursing homes need to rely on these drugs due to having more residents with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Garrison Care Center, 24.32% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are commonly used to treat patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Garrison Care Center, 4.19% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients demonstrating signs of depression. Increased levels of depression could imply lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Garrison Care Center, 88.53% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Garrison Care Center, 14.79% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and taking a bath. Many in the industry argue this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
In Garrison Care Center, 1.7 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is important to preserving the physical well-being of nursing home residents.
Scores for Saint Louis, MO
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Saint Louis, Missouri has 47 other nursing homes
- Ssm Health Saint Louis University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.1 miles away3635 Vista Ave Saint Louis Missouri 63110Proprietary(314) 577-8000
- St Alexius HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.53 miles away3933 S Broadway Saint Louis Missouri 63118Proprietary(314) 865-7000
- Ssm Health St Mary's Hospital - St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 5.03 miles away6420 Clayton Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63117Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 768-8000
- Gateway Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.41 miles away2100 Madison Avenue Granite City Illinois 62040Voluntary non-profit - Other(618) 798-3000
- Touchette Regional Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 8.01 miles away5900 Bond Avenue East Saint Louis Illinois 62207Voluntary non-profit - Private(618) 332-3060
- Christian Hospital Northeast-NorthwestAcute Care Hospitals 8.85 miles away11133 Dunn Road Saint Louis Missouri 63136Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 653-5000
- Missouri Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.16 miles away3015 N Ballas Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63131Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-5000
- Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.6 miles away4500 Memorial Drive Belleville Illinois 62226Voluntary non-profit - Private(618) 233-7750
- St. Louis Dialysis Center1.36 miles away2610 Clark Ave. Saint Louis Missouri 63103CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (314) 534-0909
- Forest Park Kidney Center1.85 miles away4205 Forest Park Ave. Saint Louis Missouri 63108CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (314) 286-0800
- Fmc - Saint Louis Grand2.06 miles away3691 Rutger St. #222 Drummond Hall Saint Louis Missouri 63110CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (314) 762-0089
- Cardinal Glennon Childrens Hospital Dialysis2.1 miles away1465 S Grand Blvd Renal Dialysis Unit 3rd Floor Saint Louis Missouri 63104Dialysis Stations: 4 (314) 268-6423
- Fmc - Chouteau2.17 miles away4030 Chouteau Ave, 1st Floor Saint Louis Missouri 63110Dialysis Stations: 20 (314) 535-2915
- Chromalloy American Kidney Center2.58 miles away4950 Childrens Place Wohl Clinic Bldg Saint Louis Missouri 63110CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (314) 362-7209
- Saint Louis Childrens Hospital Dialysis2.6 miles awayOne Childrens Place 2n90 Saint Louis Missouri 63110Dialysis Stations: 5 (314) 454-6065
- Gateway St Louis Dialysis, LLC3.04 miles away4100 Union Blvd Saint Louis Missouri 63115Dialysis Stations: 16 (314) 382-3480