With more than 20 options to choose from in Saint Louis, Missouri, Garrison Care Center is one of the multitude of facilities. Featuring an overall grade of D, this is a well below average nursing home. Unfortunately, this grade is not too far off the city grade for Saint Louis, which is a C. Nevertheless, you still may be able to find a better option The only positive thing we can say about this nursing home is that it did not receive any F's in in any of the major categories. Additional information about its category grades is available below.
Garrison Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Registered Staff Hours
Although we were not high on this nursing home overall, we awarded it a B- in nursing. This score is better than the facility's overall score. Our nursing score includes a variety of factors. The most heavily weighted variable is the amount of time nurses spend with patients. This nursing home averages just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Lastly, our nursing grades also consider quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. Despite not having the highest total nursing hours per resident, this place performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is often a reliable indicator that a nursing home has quality controls in place. Many falls can be avoided if a facility provides enough nurses to assist its residents.
We were also pleasantly surprised to award this facility a relatively favorable health inspection rating as well. We gave it a respectable grade of B- in this category, which easily topped its overall grade. Our inspection ratings are based on many datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are an important item to look for on these inspections. Severe deficiencies indicate a risk to the well being of residents. This facility was assessed 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be severe. This means that CMS didn't deem any of these deficiencies to cause an immediate threat to resident safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies are not the end of the world.
Does this page answer your questions about Garrison Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's third highest category ended up being its long-term care score, where it was given a grade of C. Our long-term care grade is used to judge a facility's performance as a traditional convalescent home, as opposed to focusing on the skilled nursing services provided by a rehabilitation facility. After considering the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination data. We were disappointed to learn that this facility vaccinated only 51.31579 percent of its patients against pneumonia. On a more positive note, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
Our final category is short-term care, where we awarded this nursing home a C in that area. In calculating our short-term care grades, we look at the facility's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other licensed professionals. This rating is more often than not a useful measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. Unfortunately, we found that this nursing home provided fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other nursing homes. Lastly, we considered the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their patients are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Garrison Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Garrison Care Center, 9.32% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Garrison Care Center, 3.98% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients who sustained a fall which resulted in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Garrison Care Center, 3.42% of Patients had UTIs
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term residents that experienced a urinary tract infection. While a higher rate of these infections may reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it is difficult to compare different nursing homes due to facilities having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Garrison Care Center, 20.31% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents given antipsychotic medications. These drugs may be used to treat a variety of conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Garrison Care Center, 24.54% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are administered to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Garrison Care Center, 4.11% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Garrison Care Center, 88.89% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Garrison Care Center, 14.76% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and using the bathroom. Many in the industry believe that this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
In Garrison Care Center, 1.64 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Garrison Care Center, 11.79 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to measure the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Scores for Saint Louis, MO
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Saint Louis, Missouri has 47 other nursing homes
- Ssm Health Saint Louis University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.1 miles away3635 Vista Ave Saint Louis Missouri 63110Proprietary(314) 577-8000
- St Alexius HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.53 miles away3933 S Broadway Saint Louis Missouri 63118Proprietary(314) 865-7000
- Ssm Health St Mary's Hospital - St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 5.03 miles away6420 Clayton Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63117Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 768-8000
- Gateway Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.41 miles away2100 Madison Avenue Granite City Illinois 62040Voluntary non-profit - Other(618) 798-3000
- Touchette Regional Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 8.01 miles away5900 Bond Avenue East Saint Louis Illinois 62207Voluntary non-profit - Private(618) 332-3060
- Christian Hospital Northeast-NorthwestAcute Care Hospitals 8.85 miles away11133 Dunn Road Saint Louis Missouri 63136Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 653-5000
- Missouri Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.16 miles away3015 N Ballas Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63131Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-5000
- Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.6 miles away4500 Memorial Drive Belleville Illinois 62226Voluntary non-profit - Private(618) 233-7750
- St. Louis Dialysis Center1.36 miles away2610 Clark Ave. Saint Louis Missouri 63103CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (314) 534-0909
- Forest Park Kidney Center1.85 miles away4205 Forest Park Ave. Saint Louis Missouri 63108CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (314) 286-0800
- Fmc - Saint Louis Grand2.06 miles away3691 Rutger St. #222 Drummond Hall Saint Louis Missouri 63110CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (314) 762-0089
- Cardinal Glennon Childrens Hospital Dialysis2.1 miles away1465 S Grand Blvd Renal Dialysis Unit 3rd Floor Saint Louis Missouri 63104Dialysis Stations: 4 (314) 268-6423
- Fmc - Chouteau2.17 miles away4030 Chouteau Ave, 1st Floor Saint Louis Missouri 63110Dialysis Stations: 20 (314) 535-2915
- Chromalloy American Kidney Center2.58 miles away4950 Childrens Place Wohl Clinic Bldg Saint Louis Missouri 63110CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (314) 362-7209
- Saint Louis Childrens Hospital Dialysis2.6 miles awayOne Childrens Place 2n90 Saint Louis Missouri 63110Dialysis Stations: 5 (314) 454-6065
- Gateway St Louis Dialysis, LLC3.04 miles away4100 Union Blvd Saint Louis Missouri 63115Dialysis Stations: 16 (314) 382-3480