Located in Garland, Texas, Garland Nursing and Rehabilitation is the sole facility located there. With a really poor overall grade of F, this facility isn't high on our list. In our view, you would be better off to steer clear of this nursing home. Surprisingly, we were able to give this facility some positive feedback for our inspections category, which you can find more information about below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Garland Nursing and Rehabilitation
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Garland senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in Garland, Texas Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Although we graded this facility incredibly poorly overall, it actually received a very impressive government inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our more favorable scores in that area with a B+. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating these inspection ratings. One of those factors is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some of these can be relatively insignificant. This facility received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This indicates that CMS did not consider any of these deficiencies to cause an imminent risk to resident health or safety. A few minor deficiencies are not necessarily the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
We also wanted to draw your attention to this facility's rock-bottom long-term care grade where it was given a lowly F. In a long-term care setting, the facility's primary goal is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. After assessing the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination record. We were optimistic to find that this facility vaccinated 98.15498 percent of its patients for pneumonia. To our surprise, this place also fared well at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had just 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. Sadly, a few of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
Does this page answer your questions about Garland Nursing and Rehabilitation?
This facility ended up receiving rock bottom score in our nursing category. It received an F in this category. When calculating our nursing ratings, we factor in both staffing levels and the levels of licensure of those nurses. This nursing home offered just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This is well below average. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing ratings. This facility fared well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these metrics to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to our fourth area, this facility did not perform very well here either. Due to a rock bottom grade of F in short-term care, this is really as bad as it gets. Our short-term care scores are probably most critical for residents in need of a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally utilizes additional highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes not only nursing services, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. With its score in this area, we weren't surprised to learn that this facility is well below average in terms of the number of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its residents based on the data we looked at. Frankly, this was what we expected to find. Lastly, we considered the number of patients that ultimately were able to return home from this nursing home. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Garland Nursing and Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Garland Nursing and Rehabilitation, 8.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from staying in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Garland Nursing and Rehabilitation, 2.58% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls are often the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Garland Nursing and Rehabilitation, 0% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely caused by worse hygiene protocols. However, this datapoint may be skewed for certain nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Garland Nursing and Rehabilitation, 12.33% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Garland Nursing and Rehabilitation, 17.93% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents who are prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are commonly given to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Garland Nursing and Rehabilitation, 2.82% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who are showing symptoms of depression. Higher levels of depression may imply a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Garland Nursing and Rehabilitation, 99.08% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Garland Nursing and Rehabilitation, 19.34% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may indicate the decline of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Garland Nursing and Rehabilitation, 5.79% of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who were able to retain mobility.
In Garland Nursing and Rehabilitation, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Garland Nursing and Rehabilitation, 5.79% of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Garland Nursing and Rehabilitation, 19.92% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Garland Nursing and Rehabilitation, 74.3% of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Methodist Richardson Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.6 miles away2831 E President George Bush Highway Richardson Texas 75082Government - Hospital District or Authority(469) 204-1000
- City Hospital at White RockAcute Care Hospitals 5.92 miles away9440 Poppy Dr Dallas Texas 75218Proprietary(214) 324-6100
- Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital DallasAcute Care Hospitals 6.13 miles away8200 Walnut Hill Lane Dallas Texas 75231Voluntary non-profit - Private(214) 345-6789
- Texas Institute for Surgery at Presbyterian HospitAcute Care Hospitals 6.22 miles away7115 Greenville Avenue Suite 100 Dallas Texas 75231Proprietary(214) 647-5300
- Medical City DallasAcute Care Hospitals 6.24 miles away7777 Forest Lane Dallas Texas 75230Proprietary(972) 566-6222
- North Central Surgical Center LlpAcute Care Hospitals 6.72 miles away9301 North Central Expressway Suite 100 Dallas Texas 75231Voluntary non-profit - Other(214) 265-2810
- Baylor Scott and White Medical Center Lake PointeAcute Care Hospitals 9.09 miles away6800 Scenic Dr Rowlett Texas 75088Proprietary(972) 412-2273
- Medical City PlanoAcute Care Hospitals 9.25 miles away3901 W 15th St Plano Texas 75075Proprietary(972) 596-6800
- Fresenius Medical Care North Garland0.31 miles away530 Clara Barton Blvd. #105 Garland Texas 75042CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (214) 703-0564
- Tolowa Dialysis, LLC0.34 miles away800 N Shiloh Road Garland Texas 75042Dialysis Stations: 21 (972) 276-7961
- Town Gate Dialysis Center3.4 miles away1901 Northwest Hwy Suite 210 Garland Texas 75041CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (972) 278-2014
- Garland Dialysis3.58 miles away776 E Centerville Road Garland Texas 75041CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (972) 278-2757
- Usrc East Dallas, LLC4.58 miles away11255 Graland Rd. Suite 1160 Dallas Texas 75218Dialysis Stations: 5 (214) 273-2649
- Liberty Dialysis - Richardson4.96 miles away1621 North Central Expressway Suite 200 Richardson Texas 75080CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (972) 907-1480
- Dallas North Dialysis Center4.98 miles away11886 Greenville Ave Suite 100b Dallas Texas 75243Dialysis Stations: 12 (972) 918-0100
- Usrc Richardson, LLC5.72 miles away3321 E. Renner Rd Suite 100 Richardson Texas 75082Dialysis Stations: 13 (972) 479-9401