Located in Garland, Texas, Garland Nursing and Rehabilitation is one of five available nursing homes in this area. It looks like this facility is a well below average nursing home. A grade of this caliber suggests we found some red flags. Unfortunately, this grade is not too far off the city grade for Garland, which is a C. Nevertheless, you still ought to be able to do better Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's profile is its impressive inspection reports. You can scroll down to find out about inspections and other category scores
Garland Nursing and Rehabilitation
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
Although we didn't give this nursing home a good overall grade, we did give it a strong grade in the area of inspections, where it received a B. Inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Fortunately, although this place had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G through L. This means the inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A few minor deficiencies are not the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home received its second highest category grade in the category of long-term care. We awarded this nursing home a C in this area, which is a reasonably acceptable grade. Long-term care ratings are important for individuals in need of personal care. On top of considering the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 96.31336 percent of its patients. This facility was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Garland Nursing and Rehabilitation?
Short-term Care Quality
Unfortunately, this facility's third highest category is short-term care. As it turns out, with a grade of D in this category, it still fared somewhat badly. In determining our short-term care scores, we look at the facility's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This grade is frequently a fair assessment of the facility's rehabilitation. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides significantly less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than a typical facility. Finally, we considered the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that just 5.8 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
The final area we looked at is nursing. We gave it a lowly F for this category, which is a bottom of the barrel score. There are numerous data points included in this grade. Most of these factors are tied to nurse staffing. This facility averaged a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This is an alarmingly low total. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing scores. This facility performed well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Garland Nursing and Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Garland Nursing and Rehabilitation, 7.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that suffer from pressure ulcers . We factor in this statistic in computing both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Garland Nursing and Rehabilitation, 3.28% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents who sustained a fall which resulted in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Garland Nursing and Rehabilitation, 1.64% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term care residents who sustained UTI's. While more infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it is difficult to compare between facilities due to facilities having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Garland Nursing and Rehabilitation, 11.75% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many patients, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Garland Nursing and Rehabilitation, 22.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Garland Nursing and Rehabilitation, 4.66% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents demonstrating signs of depression. Many would argue that this is a reasonable measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Garland Nursing and Rehabilitation, 94.73% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Garland Nursing and Rehabilitation, 17.29% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and bathing. Many in the industry would argue this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Garland Nursing and Rehabilitation, 18.08% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay residents that were able to retain mobility. Some argue that mobility is vital to patients mental and physical health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Garland Nursing and Rehabilitation, 18.08 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Garland Nursing and Rehabilitation, 11.87 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Garland Nursing and Rehabilitation, 66.73% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some argue this is a measure of rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Garland, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Garland, Texas has 4 other nursing homes
- Methodist Richardson Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.6 miles away2831 E President George Bush Highway Richardson Texas 75082Government - Hospital District or Authority(469) 204-1000
- City Hospital at White RockAcute Care Hospitals 5.92 miles away9440 Poppy Dr Dallas Texas 75218Proprietary(214) 324-6100
- Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital DallasAcute Care Hospitals 6.13 miles away8200 Walnut Hill Lane Dallas Texas 75231Voluntary non-profit - Private(214) 345-6789
- Texas Institute for Surgery at Presbyterian HospitAcute Care Hospitals 6.22 miles away7115 Greenville Avenue Suite 100 Dallas Texas 75231Proprietary(214) 647-5300
- Medical City DallasAcute Care Hospitals 6.24 miles away7777 Forest Lane Dallas Texas 75230Proprietary(972) 566-6222
- North Central Surgical Center LlpAcute Care Hospitals 6.72 miles away9301 North Central Expressway Suite 100 Dallas Texas 75231Voluntary non-profit - Other(214) 265-2810
- Baylor Scott and White Medical Center Lake PointeAcute Care Hospitals 9.09 miles away6800 Scenic Dr Rowlett Texas 75088Proprietary(972) 412-2273
- Medical City PlanoAcute Care Hospitals 9.25 miles away3901 W 15th St Plano Texas 75075Proprietary(972) 596-6800
- Fresenius Medical Care North Garland0.31 miles away530 Clara Barton Blvd. #105 Garland Texas 75042CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (214) 703-0564
- Tolowa Dialysis, LLC0.34 miles away800 N Shiloh Road Garland Texas 75042Dialysis Stations: 21 (972) 276-7961
- Town Gate Dialysis Center3.4 miles away1901 Northwest Hwy Suite 210 Garland Texas 75041CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (972) 278-2014
- Garland Dialysis3.58 miles away776 E Centerville Road Garland Texas 75041CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (972) 278-2757
- Usrc East Dallas, LLC4.58 miles away11255 Graland Rd. Suite 1160 Dallas Texas 75218Dialysis Stations: 5 (214) 273-2649
- Liberty Dialysis - Richardson4.96 miles away1621 North Central Expressway Suite 200 Richardson Texas 75080CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (972) 907-1480
- Dallas North Dialysis Center4.98 miles away11886 Greenville Ave Suite 100b Dallas Texas 75243Dialysis Stations: 12 (972) 918-0100
- Usrc Richardson, LLC5.72 miles away3321 E. Renner Rd Suite 100 Richardson Texas 75082Dialysis Stations: 13 (972) 479-9401