Garden Terrace Alzheimer's Center of Excellence is an average-sized facility located in Aurora, Colorado. With an overall rating of B, this looks like a very respectable option. The facilities in Aurora received high scores across the board with a B+ city grade, making this one of the better places in Colorado to find a nursing home. This place's impressive report card was highlighted by its nursing rating, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Garden Terrace Alzheimer's Center of Excellence
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Aurora senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Colorado Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with its impressive overall grade, we awarded this nursing home an A for our nursing rating. We weighed the licensure of nurses at the facility, in addition to the number of hours those nurses worked with residents, in computing our rating in this area. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by having a system of moving patients at least once a day.
In addition, this nursing home excelled in the area of inspections, where it received an B+. Our inspection scores are tied to many datapoints located in the a nursing home's inspection reports. Facilities that score well in this category typically have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like we have deficiency counts for this nursing home. Without all of the deficiency data for this nursing home, it ended up being difficult to really assess it in the area of inspections.
Does this page answer your questions about Garden Terrace Alzheimer's Center of Excellence?
Short-term Care Quality
We also awarded this facility a middle of the pack grade in the area of short-term care, where we gave it a grade of B-. Short-term care scores are meaningful for prospective residents requiring rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically requires additional highly-skilled nursing. This includes a vast range of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 4.3 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most nursing homes, closer to half of their patients are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we rated is long-term care. This nursing home received a C for the area. Our long-term care grades are more meaningful for residents needing more traditional services related to personal care. One of the statistics we considered on top of nursing hours was vaccines. Thankfully, this facility provided the pneumonia vaccine to 96.73591 percent of its residents. This facility keeps its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Garden Terrace Alzheimer's Center of Excellence Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Garden Terrace Alzheimer's Center of Excellence, 5.67% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term residents which have pressure ulcers or bed sores. We factor in this statistic in computing both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Garden Terrace Alzheimer's Center of Excellence, 3.72% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric gauges the percent of long-term care patients who have suffered a fall leading to serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Garden Terrace Alzheimer's Center of Excellence, 2.04% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often associated with facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Better nursing care minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Garden Terrace Alzheimer's Center of Excellence, 17.61% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to patients for many medical conditions, including cognitive disorders. Unfortunately, in limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Garden Terrace Alzheimer's Center of Excellence, 12.49% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Garden Terrace Alzheimer's Center of Excellence, 3.91% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who are demonstrating signs of depression. Some argue this is a measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Garden Terrace Alzheimer's Center of Excellence, 84.62% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Garden Terrace Alzheimer's Center of Excellence, 15.34% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Garden Terrace Alzheimer's Center of Excellence, 16.01% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Garden Terrace Alzheimer's Center of Excellence, 1.17 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Garden Terrace Alzheimer's Center of Excellence, 16.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Garden Terrace Alzheimer's Center of Excellence, 12.31 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Garden Terrace Alzheimer's Center of Excellence, 76.2% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry argue that this is a reliable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Aurora, CO
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Aurora, Colorado has 6 other nursing homes
- Medical Center of Aurora, TheAcute Care Hospitals 0.1 miles away1501 S Potomac St Aurora Colorado 80012Proprietary(303) 873-5511
- Children's Hospital ColoradoChildrens 3.72 miles away13123 E 16th Ave Aurora Colorado 80045Voluntary non-profit - Private(720) 777-1234
- University of Colorado Hospital AuthorityAcute Care Hospitals 3.73 miles away12605 E 16th Ave Aurora Colorado 80045Government - Hospital District or Authority(720) 848-0000
- Rose Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.24 miles away4567 E 9th Ave Denver Colorado 80220Proprietary(303) 320-2121
- National Jewish HealthAcute Care Hospitals 6.96 miles away1400 Jackson St Denver Colorado 80206Voluntary non-profit - Private(303) 388-4461
- Centura Health-Porter Adventist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.66 miles away2525 S Downing St Denver Colorado 80210Voluntary non-profit - Private(303) 778-1955
- Presbyterian St Lukes Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.29 miles away1719 E 19th Ave Denver Colorado 80218Government - State(303) 839-6000
- Swedish Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.36 miles away501 E Hampden Ave Englewood Colorado 80113Proprietary(303) 788-5000
- Aurora Dialysis (Dva)0.24 miles away1411 S Potomac St Ste 100 Aurora Colorado 80012CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (303) 368-1911
- East Aurora Dialysis (Dva)1.78 miles away482 S Chambers Rd Aurora Colorado 80017CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (303) 696-1137
- Sable Dialysis (Dva)2.67 miles away509 N Sable Blvd Aurora Colorado 80011CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (303) 366-9458
- South Denver Dialysis (Fmc)3.05 miles away3410 S Galena St Suite 100 Denver Colorado 80231Dialysis Stations: 13 (303) 671-2419
- Northeast Denver Dialysis (Fkc)3.06 miles away590 Laredo St Aurora Colorado 80017Dialysis Stations: 17 (303) 344-8704
- Aurora Dialysis (Fmc)3.08 miles away962 Potomac Cir Aurora Colorado 80011Dialysis Stations: 24 (303) 340-1398
- The Childrens Hospital Kidney Ctr.3.8 miles away13123 E 16th Ave #328 Aurora Colorado 80045Dialysis Stations: 9 (720) 777-6263
- University of Co Hospital - Home Dialysis3.8 miles away12605 E. 16th Ave Aurora Colorado 80045Dialysis Stations: 6 (720) 848-3102