Garden Spring Nursing and Rehabilitation Center is a large nursing home located in Willow Grove, Pennsylvania. With an overall rating of D, this is a well below average nursing home. This place has very little going for it. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's report card is its strong inspection reports. You can scroll down to find out about inspections and other category scores
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Garden Spring Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Willow Grove senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While we were not high on this place overall, we awarded it a B for our inspections category. This grade is far better than the facility's overall grade. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating our inspection scores. One critical factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is usually more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these are relatively minor. While this nursing home had a few minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G through L. This means that CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A few minor deficiencies are not the end of the world.
This nursing home actually received a decent grade in the area of nursing as well. We awarded it a grade of B- for that category, which is not a bad score. Nursing ratings are largely based on the facility's level of nurse staffing. This place provides only 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient each day. This is a somewhat discouraging figure which is well below average. Finally, despite not having the highest total nursing hours per resident, this place actually performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is often a reliable indicator that a nursing home has quality controls in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Garden Spring Nursing and Rehabilitation Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next highest category came in the area of long-term care. In that area, we gave this nursing home a C. In the area of long-term care, we look at the amount of care offered by a facility, as opposed to more sophisticated services. Once we assessed the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination record. We were a bit bothered by the fact that this nursing home vaccinated 44.639374 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is quite a few points lower than the national average. Nevertheless, this facility keeps its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to the fourth area, this nursing home really did not perform very well in this area either. With a poor grade of F in short-term care, this is really as terrible as it gets. In calculating our short-term care grades, we look at the nursing home's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This score is often a reliable assessment of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. Not surprisingly, we found that this facility offers far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than the typical facility. Lastly, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that just 4.3 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Garden Spring Nursing and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Garden Spring Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 6.25% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often caused by residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can minimize the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Garden Spring Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 2.73% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are often caused by lower levels of patient supervision. Closer supervision can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Garden Spring Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 0.82% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes linked to inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Garden Spring Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 8.56% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are used to treat several conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Garden Spring Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 20.49% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term stay residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Garden Spring Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 8.93% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Garden Spring Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 50.79% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Garden Spring Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 29.91% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Garden Spring Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 33.77% of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term care patients who were able to retain mobility. Many believe that mobility is vital to patients health.
In Garden Spring Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 0.05 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Garden Spring Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 33.77% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Garden Spring Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 5.04% of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Garden Spring Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 65.5% of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of independence with activities of daily living often correlates with higher quality rehabilitation services.
- Abington Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.66 miles away1200 Old York Road Abington Pennsylvania 19001Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 481-2000
- Horsham ClinicPsychiatric 3.88 miles away722 East Butler Pike Ambler Pennsylvania 19002Proprietary(215) 643-7800
- Holy Redeemer Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.95 miles away1648 Huntingdon Pike Jenkintown Pennsylvania 19046Voluntary non-profit - Church(215) 947-3000
- Jeanes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.38 miles away7600 Central Avenue Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19111Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 728-2000
- Chestnut Hill HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.3 miles away8835 Germantown Ave Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19118Proprietary(215) 248-8200
- Nazareth HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.95 miles away2601 Holme Ave Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19152Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 335-6000
- Albert Einstein Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.49 miles away5501 Old York Road Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19141Voluntary non-profit - Other(215) 456-6090
- Aria HealthAcute Care Hospitals 9.42 miles away10800 Knights Road Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19114Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 612-4129
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Abington0.14 miles away1036 Easton Road Willow Grove Pennsylvania 19090Dialysis Stations: 24 (215) 657-5595
- Davita Willow Grove Dialysis0.95 miles away1849 Davisville Road Willow Grove Pennsylvania 19090Dialysis Stations: 24 (215) 659-3426
- Davita - Abington Dialysis0.97 miles away3940-a Commerce Avenue Willow Grove Pennsylvania 19090CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (215) 830-1115
- Davita Franklin Commons Dialysis3.81 miles away720 Johnsville Boulevard, Suite 800 Warminster Pennsylvania 18974CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (215) 682-7691
- Davita - Wyncote Dialysis4.6 miles awayCedarbrook Plaza 1000 Easton Road, Suite 250 Wyncote Pennsylvania 19095CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (215) 884-3398
- Davita - Huntingdon Valley Dialysis5 miles away769 Huntingdon Pike Huntingdon Valley Pennsylvania 19006CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (215) 379-1788
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Harston Hall5.69 miles away350 Haws Lane Flourtown Pennsylvania 19031Dialysis Stations: 9 (215) 233-0181
- Bio Medical Applications of Pennsylvania, Inc.6.75 miles away700 Cottman Avenue, Building A Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19111Dialysis Stations: 13 (215) 745-3183