Garden Spring Nursing and Rehabilitation Center is a large nursing home located in Willow Grove, Pennsylvania. With an overall rating of C, this looks like a decent facility. Based on our analysis, there are certainly far worse nursing homes out there. One of the major highlights of this nursing home's profile is its stellar inspection score, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Garden Spring Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
1113 North Easton Road,
Willow Grove PA 19090
80.05% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
While this facility's overall grade was not bad, it really excelled in the category of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A for that category, which is one of our best scores. Our inspection grades weigh several factors found on a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we look at is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher scores in this category typically have few of these severe deficiencies. While this nursing home had a few minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G through L. This means that CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies should not lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also received a strong grade in our long-term care category. We gave this nursing home a better than average grade of B in this category. Facilities that receive this kind of score in this category tend to provide consistent 24/7 care to ensure residents are well cared for. One of the criteria we considered on top of nursing hours was vaccinations. This nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccine to 83.81743 percent of its patients. Although its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we hoped for, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Garden Spring Nursing and Rehabilitation Center?
Next we looked at nursing grades, where this nursing home received an F, which is a rock bottom grade. This area was definitely not a strength for this facility. Our nursing rating is based on many datapoints, however, the paramount one is the number of nurse hours spent with patients. This facility provided a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This figure is significantly below average. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing ratings. This place performed well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to our final area, this facility did not fare very well. Due to an abysmal grade of F in short-term care, this was its worst grade. With our short-term care category, we strive to create a fair barometer for rehabilitation. In doing so, we assess a nursing home's scope of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. Based on its score in this area, we were not surprised to discover that this place is well below average in terms of the quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its patients based on the measures we looked at. Frankly, this was what we expected here. Finally, we looked at the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that just 4.2 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Garden Spring Nursing and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Garden Spring Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 7.59% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents who suffer from pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are an barometer of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Garden Spring Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 3.37% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are routinely associated with lower quality nursing care. Additional nurse staffing can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Garden Spring Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.9% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections could be associated with insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Garden Spring Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 15.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Garden Spring Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 19.74% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This measures the percent of long-term care patients who are given antianxiety medication. These medications are generally used to treat residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Garden Spring Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 3.12% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients exhibiting symptoms of depression. Many in the industry would argue this is a reasonable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Garden Spring Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 88.22% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Garden Spring Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Garden Spring Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 21.64% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Garden Spring Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Garden Spring Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 21.64 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Garden Spring Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 8.92 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Garden Spring Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 72.59% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Abington Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.66 miles away1200 Old York Road Abington Pennsylvania 19001Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 481-2000
- Horsham ClinicPsychiatric 3.88 miles away722 East Butler Pike Ambler Pennsylvania 19002Proprietary(215) 643-7800
- Holy Redeemer Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.95 miles away1648 Huntingdon Pike Jenkintown Pennsylvania 19046Voluntary non-profit - Church(215) 947-3000
- Jeanes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.38 miles away7600 Central Avenue Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19111Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 728-2000
- Chestnut Hill HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.3 miles away8835 Germantown Ave Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19118Proprietary(215) 248-8200
- Nazareth HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.95 miles away2601 Holme Ave Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19152Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 335-6000
- Albert Einstein Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.49 miles away5501 Old York Road Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19141Voluntary non-profit - Other(215) 456-6090
- Aria HealthAcute Care Hospitals 9.42 miles away10800 Knights Road Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19114Voluntary non-profit - Private(215) 612-4129
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Abington0.14 miles away1036 Easton Road Willow Grove Pennsylvania 19090Dialysis Stations: 24 (215) 657-5595
- Davita Willow Grove Dialysis0.95 miles away1849 Davisville Road Willow Grove Pennsylvania 19090Dialysis Stations: 24 (215) 659-3426
- Davita - Abington Dialysis0.97 miles away3940-a Commerce Avenue Willow Grove Pennsylvania 19090CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (215) 830-1115
- Davita Franklin Commons Dialysis3.81 miles away720 Johnsville Boulevard, Suite 800 Warminster Pennsylvania 18974CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (215) 682-7691
- Davita - Wyncote Dialysis4.6 miles awayCedarbrook Plaza 1000 Easton Road, Suite 250 Wyncote Pennsylvania 19095CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (215) 884-3398
- Davita - Huntingdon Valley Dialysis5 miles away769 Huntingdon Pike Huntingdon Valley Pennsylvania 19006CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (215) 379-1788
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Harston Hall5.69 miles away350 Haws Lane Flourtown Pennsylvania 19031Dialysis Stations: 9 (215) 233-0181
- Bio Medical Applications of Pennsylvania, Inc.6.75 miles away700 Cottman Avenue, Building A Philadelphia Pennsylvania 19111Dialysis Stations: 13 (215) 745-3183