Garden Park Care Center is in Garden Grove, California, a city with a population of 172,782 people. Sporting an overall grade of C, this is likely a middle of the pack nursing home. We wanted to point out that Garden Grove received a city grade of B, so you may wish to look at some other options in the city as well. One of the better aspects of this nursing home's report card is its strong inspection score, which is addressed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Garden Park Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Garden Grove senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
It should be noted that this facility's inspection score outpaced its overall score. In fact, we gave it a B+ for its inspections rating, which is one of our better scores. Our inspection ratings are based on items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that excel in this category tend to have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. This nursing home received 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This indicates that the government inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies to pose an imminent risk to patient safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies shouldn't lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also received a favorable score in our long-term care category. We gave this facility an above average grade of B in this category. When facilities receive a score in this range in this category it typically means it's well-staffed and is a quality place to reside on a permanent basis. After looking at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping residents healthy. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Garden Park Care Center?
This nursing home's next best category was nursing. We awarded it a grade of C in this category. This is basically a middle of the road grade in this category. Our nursing grade analyzes many components, however, the most important consideration is the level of nurse hours spent with patients. This facility provided just 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Finally, despite not having the highest total nursing hours, this place actually performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is often a good indicator that a place has sufficient quality controls in place.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we assessed is short-term care, is this nursing home's weakest area. We awarded this nursing home a grade of D in this area. Short-term care grades are often used to judge a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation. To have highly rated rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally need to feature higher levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other highly trained professionals. Considering its score in this area, we weren't stunned to learn that this nursing home was well below average in terms of its quantity of physical therapy and registered nurse hours offered to its residents based on the metrics we looked at. Honestly, this was about what we expected here. Finally, we considered the number of residents that ultimately returned home from this facility. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4.4 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Garden Park Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Garden Park Care Center, 8.14% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by staying in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Garden Park Care Center, 1.64% of Patients had Serious Falls
This gauges the percent of long-term stay residents who have suffered a fall leading to serious injury. We use this statistic in computing our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Garden Park Care Center, 0.29% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely caused by a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this statistic could be skewed for some facilities due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Garden Park Care Center, 0% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that are administered antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such drugs are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some facilities may need to rely on these drugs due to an increased number of residents with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Garden Park Care Center, 10.74% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are generally prescribed to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Garden Park Care Center, 0.34% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents demonstrating symptoms of depression. Many in the industry argue this is a reliable measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Garden Park Care Center, 100% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home patients, making these vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Garden Park Care Center, 2.55% of Patients
This is the percent of residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Garden Park Care Center, 3.42% of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In Garden Park Care Center, 0.03 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Garden Park Care Center, 3.42% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Garden Park Care Center, 9.59% of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Garden Park Care Center, 91.68% of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term residents who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Garden Grove, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Garden Grove, California has 5 other nursing homes
- Garden Grove Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.53 miles away12601 Garden Grove Blvd Garden Grove California 92843Proprietary(714) 537-5160
- University of California Irvine Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.68 miles away101 City Drive South Orange California 92868Government - Local(714) 456-6112
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.31 miles away1100 West Stewart Dr Orange California 92868Voluntary non-profit - Church(714) 633-9111
- Orange County Global Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.53 miles away1001 North Tustin Avenue Santa Ana California 92705Proprietary(714) 953-3610
- Chapman Global Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.57 miles away2601 E Chapman Ave Orange California 92869Proprietary(714) 633-0011
- Fountain Valley Regional Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.7 miles away17100 Euclid Street Fountain Valley California 92708Proprietary(714) 966-7200
- South Coast Global Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.9 miles away2701 S Bristol St Santa Ana California 92704Proprietary(714) 754-5454
- Ahmc Anaheim Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.01 miles away1111 W La Palma Avenue Anaheim California 92801Voluntary non-profit - Private(714) 774-1450
- Fmc-Rai-Harbor Blvd.-Garden Grove0.68 miles away12761 Harbor Blvd., Suite I-3 Garden Grove California 92840CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (714) 539-3122
- Davita-Garden Grove Harbor Dialysis0.8 miles away13054 North Harbor Blvd. Garden Grove California 92843CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (714) 539-3395
- St. Joseph Hospital Renal Center1.85 miles awaySr. Elizabeth Bldg. 1100 W. Stewart Drive Orange California 92868CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 39 (714) 771-8037
- Fmc-University Dialysis Center of Orange2.05 miles away1809 W. Chapman Avenue Orange California 92868CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (714) 634-3583
- Satellite Healthcare Orange2.14 miles away1518 W. La Veta Avenue Orange California 92868CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (714) 285-9675
- Fmc-Rai-Garden Grove Blvd.-Garden Grove2.21 miles away12555 Garden Grove Blvd., Suite 100 Garden Grove California 92843Dialysis Stations: 13 (714) 741-7255
- Davita-Main Place Dialysis Center2.21 miles away146 South Main Street Orange California 92868CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (714) 938-0870
- Davita-Anaheim Springs Dialysis3.19 miles away1324 S Euclid Street Anaheim California 92802CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (714) 774-1518