Garden Grove Convalescent Hospital is located in Garden Grove, California, a city with a population of 172,782 people. This nursing home turns out to be a respectable facility, with an overall grade of B-. This nursing home has some things working in its favor. The best part of this place's profile is its stellar inspection score. Inspection reports are discussed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Garden Grove Convalescent Hospital
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Garden Grove senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home received a solid overall grade as described above, but we really wanted to emphasize its excellent inspections in recent years. We gave them an impressive grade of A in this category. Our inspection scores weigh a host of factors found on a nursing home's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we weigh heavily is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher grades in this area generally have few of these severe deficiencies. This place was hit with 5 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be severe. This means that the government inspectors didn't deem any of these deficiencies to create an imminent risk to patient safety or health. Remember that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in this industry.
Long-term Care Quality
Additionally, we awarded this facility a grade of B in our long-term care category. This is one of our more impressive grades. When facilities receive a score in this range in long-term care it generally means it has plenty of staff and is an overall good place to live on a permanent basis. One of the factors we considered after nursing hours was vaccines. This nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its residents. This is a proven method to avoid unnecessary deaths and hospitalizations for the senior population. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Garden Grove Convalescent Hospital?
In addition, we awarded this nursing home a grade of B in our nursing category. This is one of our better grades. Our nursing rating is primarily associated with the nursing home's nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we analyzed was short-term care. We awarded this facility a grade of D for the area of short-term care, making this the nursing home's least impressive area. Short-term care grades are based in part on the facility's quantity of skilled highly skilled professionals. This includes a broad scope of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, not to mention other forms of therapy. In this nursing home's case, we found that it provides less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. The last metric we considered in this category is the percentage of residents who eventually returned home from the nursing home. This facility struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 4.6 percent of its residents returning home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Garden Grove Convalescent Hospital Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Garden Grove Convalescent Hospital, 6.57% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often caused by patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Garden Grove Convalescent Hospital, 0.3% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are routinely associated with lower quality nursing care. Additional nurse staffing minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Garden Grove Convalescent Hospital, 0.68% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes linked to poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Garden Grove Convalescent Hospital, 4.55% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents who are given antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such drugs are not medically required. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these medications due to an increased number of patients suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Garden Grove Convalescent Hospital, 3.13% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are administered to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Garden Grove Convalescent Hospital, 0% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Many argue that this is a measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Garden Grove Convalescent Hospital, 100% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Garden Grove Convalescent Hospital, 5.56% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Garden Grove Convalescent Hospital, 4.11% of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Garden Grove Convalescent Hospital, 0.03 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Garden Grove Convalescent Hospital, 4.11% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Garden Grove Convalescent Hospital, 3.64% of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Garden Grove Convalescent Hospital, 85.16% of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements.
- Garden Grove Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.35 miles away12601 Garden Grove Blvd Garden Grove California 92843Proprietary(714) 537-5160
- West Anaheim Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.7 miles away3033 W Orange Avenue Anaheim California 92804Proprietary(714) 827-3000
- University of California Irvine Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.47 miles away101 City Drive South Orange California 92868Government - Local(714) 456-6112
- Fountain Valley Regional Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.64 miles away17100 Euclid Street Fountain Valley California 92708Proprietary(714) 966-7200
- Huntington Beach HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5 miles away17772 Beach Blvd Huntington Beach California 92647Proprietary(714) 843-5000
- Memorialcare Orange Coast Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.19 miles away9920 Talbert Avenue Fountain Valley California 92708Proprietary(714) 378-7406
- Ahmc Anaheim Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.38 miles away1111 W La Palma Avenue Anaheim California 92801Voluntary non-profit - Private(714) 774-1450
- Los Alamitos Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.85 miles away3751 Katella Avenue Los Alamitos California 90720Proprietary(562) 799-3220
- Davita-Westminster South Dialysis1.11 miles away14014 Magnolia St. Westminster California 92683CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (714) 894-8712
- Fmc-Rai-Hospital Circle-Westminster1.62 miles away290 Hospital Circle Westminster California 92683CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (714) 895-3698
- Fmc-Rai-Garden Grove Blvd.-Garden Grove1.79 miles away12555 Garden Grove Blvd., Suite 100 Garden Grove California 92843Dialysis Stations: 13 (714) 741-7255
- Davita-Garden Grove Harbor Dialysis3.07 miles away13054 North Harbor Blvd. Garden Grove California 92843CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (714) 539-3395
- Fmc-Rai-Goldenwest-Westminster3.11 miles away15330 Goldenwest Street Westminster California 92683CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (714) 373-1543
- Fmc-Rai-Harbor Blvd.-Garden Grove3.15 miles away12761 Harbor Blvd., Suite I-3 Garden Grove California 92840CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (714) 539-3122
- Davita-Anaheim Springs Dialysis3.17 miles away1324 S Euclid Street Anaheim California 92802CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (714) 774-1518
- Davita-Anaheim West Dialysis4.21 miles away1821 W. Lincoln Avenue Anaheim California 92801CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (714) 765-6510