Garden Grove Convalescent Hospital is located in Garden Grove, California, a city with a population of 172,782 people. This is a good nursing home with a B overall. This was right in line with the city grade in Garden Grove. This facility truly has plenty working in its favor. This place was better in some categories than others, but it did not have any poor grades in any of the major categories discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Garden Grove Convalescent Hospital
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being a quality nursing home overall, this nursing home really excelled in the area of inspections, where it earned an A-. Not many facilities performed better in that area. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing our inspection scores. One key factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies end up being quite insignificant. Although this place had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' scale. A few minor deficiencies aren't something to panic about.
One of the other reasons we graded this nursing home so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing rating. Nursing proved to be its second best category grade. In that area, we gave this facility an A-. Our nursing grade assesses many components, most of which are tied to nursing hours. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Garden Grove Convalescent Hospital?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home was given an impressive long-term care score as well. We awarded it one of our better grades in that area with a grade of B. When nursing homes receive a grade in this range in this category it typically means it has plenty of staff and is a quality place to reside on a permanent basis. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients out of the hospital. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to our last category, this facility received a decent short-term care grade of C. Short-term care scores are important for residents looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually mandates more skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes a wide scope of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Unfortunately, we were not able to locate information on registered nurse or physical therapy staffing for this nursing home. The final metric we considered in this category is the percentage of residents that ultimately were able to return home from the facility. We found that just 4.5 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Garden Grove Convalescent Hospital Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Garden Grove Convalescent Hospital, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Garden Grove Convalescent Hospital, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term residents who sustained falls leading to serious injury. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Garden Grove Convalescent Hospital, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of long-term care residents that sustained a UTI. UTI's may be an indicator of worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this statistic may also be misleading for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Garden Grove Convalescent Hospital, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many patients, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Garden Grove Convalescent Hospital, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are given to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Garden Grove Convalescent Hospital, 4.33% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who are demonstrating signs of depression. Higher levels of depression could indicate a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Garden Grove Convalescent Hospital, 95.72% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Garden Grove Convalescent Hospital, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Garden Grove Convalescent Hospital, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients that remained mobile levels.
In Garden Grove Convalescent Hospital, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Garden Grove Convalescent Hospital, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Garden Grove Convalescent Hospital, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Garden Grove Convalescent Hospital, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Garden Grove, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Garden Grove, California has 5 other nursing homes
- Garden Grove Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.35 miles away12601 Garden Grove Blvd Garden Grove California 92843Proprietary(714) 537-5160
- West Anaheim Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.7 miles away3033 W Orange Avenue Anaheim California 92804Proprietary(714) 827-3000
- University of California Irvine Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.47 miles away101 City Drive South Orange California 92868Government - Local(714) 456-6112
- Fountain Valley Regional Hospital & Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.64 miles away17100 Euclid Street Fountain Valley California 92708Proprietary(714) 966-7200
- Huntington Beach HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5 miles away17772 Beach Blvd Huntington Beach California 92647Proprietary(714) 843-5000
- Memorialcare Orange Coast Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.19 miles away9920 Talbert Avenue Fountain Valley California 92708Proprietary(714) 378-7406
- Ahmc Anaheim Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.38 miles away1111 W La Palma Avenue Anaheim California 92801Voluntary non-profit - Private(714) 774-1450
- Los Alamitos Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.85 miles away3751 Katella Avenue Los Alamitos California 90720Proprietary(562) 799-3220
- Davita-Westminster South Dialysis1.11 miles away14014 Magnolia St. Westminster California 92683CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (714) 894-8712
- Fmc-Rai-Hospital Circle-Westminster1.62 miles away290 Hospital Circle Westminster California 92683CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (714) 895-3698
- Fmc-Rai-Garden Grove Blvd.-Garden Grove1.79 miles away12555 Garden Grove Blvd., Suite 100 Garden Grove California 92843Dialysis Stations: 13 (714) 741-7255
- Davita-Garden Grove Harbor Dialysis3.07 miles away13054 North Harbor Blvd. Garden Grove California 92843CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (714) 539-3395
- Fmc-Rai-Goldenwest-Westminster3.11 miles away15330 Goldenwest Street Westminster California 92683CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (714) 373-1543
- Fmc-Rai-Harbor Blvd.-Garden Grove3.15 miles away12761 Harbor Blvd., Suite I-3 Garden Grove California 92840CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (714) 539-3122
- Davita-Anaheim Springs Dialysis3.17 miles away1324 S Euclid Street Anaheim California 92802CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (714) 774-1518
- Davita-Anaheim West Dialysis4.21 miles away1821 W. Lincoln Avenue Anaheim California 92801CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (714) 765-6510