Garden Gate Health Care Facility is a large facility in Buffalo, New York. It looks like this is a fine facility. We awarded it an overall grade of B, which is a quality score. Even in a city offering 16 other nursing homes, this facility ought to be a sound selection. This nursing home's impressive report card was highlighted by its inspection grade, which we will address in the next section.
Garden Gate Health Care Facility
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
2365 Union Road,
Buffalo NY 14227
94.83% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to performing well in its overall grade, this facility performed at an even higher level in the area of inspections. In fact, it received a nearly flawless inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our highest grades in that category with a score of A+. Inspection scores are based on datapoints found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that receive favorable grades in this area tend to have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these places should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This facility was assessed 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered severe. This indicates that the inspectors did not deem any of these deficiencies to cause an imminent risk to resident health or safety. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe made us feel better about this inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home was awarded a favorable short-term care grade as well. We gave it one of our better grades in that category with a score of B+. Our short-term care ratings are considered to be most meaningful for patients needing rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation usually requires higher levels of skilled nursing services. This means not merely nursing, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other types of therapy. This place provides more services with physical therapists and registered nurses than most nursing homes we looked at. Finally, we looked at the number of patients who returned home from this facility. In addition to excelling in the area of physical therapy hours, we found that it performed as well as just about any facility in the nation in this area with 59.2 percent of its residents returning home. Most facilities are below 50 percent in this statistic.
Does this page answer your questions about Garden Gate Health Care Facility?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to our third area, this nursing home also earned a score of B for its long-term care rating. This is an above average grade in this area. Facilities that excel in long-term care typically are well-staffed and offer extensive hands on care to residents. On top of considering the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is far higher than the majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.92 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
The next category we graded was nursing, which is this nursing home's worst category. We gave this nursing home a D in this category. Of course, this grade hurt the nursing home's overall grade to some degree. Our nursing rating assesses the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. We weigh both the levels of training of the nurses as well as the amount of time spent with patients. We do not think quantity of care was the reason for this facility's poor nursing score. With 3.9 hours of nursing care per resident per day, this nursing home actually surpassed the national average. Lastly, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed better than average in this area. This is often a good indicator of how carefully a nursing home's nursing staff is tending to its residents. Major falls can typically be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Garden Gate Health Care Facility Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Garden Gate Health Care Facility, 9.64% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Garden Gate Health Care Facility, 3.1% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a fall which resulted in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Garden Gate Health Care Facility, 2.09% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who have had UTI's. Although a higher rate of these infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it can be difficult to compare different nursing homes due to facilities having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Garden Gate Health Care Facility, 11.62% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are given to patients for many conditions, such as dementia. Sadly, in some situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Garden Gate Health Care Facility, 13.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were given antianxiety medications. These medications are prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Garden Gate Health Care Facility, 13.02% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who are exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Garden Gate Health Care Facility, 92.45% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Garden Gate Health Care Facility, 14.69% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate the deterioration of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Garden Gate Health Care Facility, 18.9% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term care residents that were able to retain mobility. Some argue that the ability to move around is important for residents' physical and mental health.
In Garden Gate Health Care Facility, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Garden Gate Health Care Facility, 18.9 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Garden Gate Health Care Facility, 8.78 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Garden Gate Health Care Facility, 74.53% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with activities of daily living often correlates with successful rehabilitation.
Scores for Buffalo, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Buffalo, New York has 15 other nursing homes
- Western Ny Childrens Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 3.41 miles away1010 East & West Road Buffalo New York 14224Government - State(716) 677-7000
- Mercy Hospital of BuffaloAcute Care Hospitals 3.56 miles away565 Abbott Road Buffalo New York 14220Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 826-7000
- Erie County Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.18 miles away462 Grider Street Buffalo New York 14215Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 898-3936
- Kaleida HealthAcute Care Hospitals 5.83 miles away100 High Street Buffalo New York 14210Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 859-8620
- Sisters of Charity HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.06 miles away2157 Main Street Buffalo New York 14214Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 862-1000
- Kenmore Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.43 miles away2950 Elmwood Avenue Buffalo New York 14217Voluntary non-profit - Church(716) 447-6100
- Us Renal Care Cheektowaga Dialysis1 miles away2875 Union Road, Suite 13 C/D Buffalo New York 14227CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (716) 684-0276
- Davita Renal Care of Buffalo3.26 miles away550 Orchard Park Road Buffalo New York 14224CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (716) 677-0089
- Erie County Medical Center5.16 miles away462 Grider Street Dialysis Unit Buffalo New York 14215Dialysis Stations: 36 (716) 898-1400
- Davita Cleve Hill Dialysis Center5.21 miles away1461 Kensington Avenue Buffalo New York 14215CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (716) 831-8892
- Davita Buffalo Downtown Dialysis5.97 miles away520 Ellicott St Suite 100 Buffalo New York 14203Dialysis Stations: 13 (716) 845-5101
- Oishei Children's Hospital of Buffalo6.16 miles awayHemodialysis Unit 818 Ellicott Street Buffalo New York 14203Dialysis Stations: 4 (716) 323-1765
- Us Renal Care West Cheektowaga6.31 miles away2861 Harlem Road Buffalo New York 14225CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (716) 891-7429
- Pure Life Renal of Buffalo Inc.6.4 miles away6010 Main Street Buffalo New York 14221Dialysis Stations: 25 (716) 631-4700