Garden Gate Health Care Facility turns out to be one of a host of options you can choose from in Buffalo, New York. We awarded this facility an overall grade of B+. A score of this caliber requires strong scores in most areas. This ought to be on your short list in Buffalo as we rated it as one of the 10 best facilities in the city. This place is better in some categories than others, but it didn't have any bad scores in any of our four major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Garden Gate Health Care Facility
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
2365 Union Road,
Buffalo NY 14227
93.36% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Top Nursing Home in New York Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in New York Awards 2020
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a quality nursing home is it earned an A+ in our inspections category. This is simply as good as it gets in this very important area. Our inspection ratings account for a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we weigh heavily is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with better scores in this category usually have very few of these severe deficiencies. Although this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. We should note that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in the industry.
Short-term Care Quality
In addition, this facility also was awarded favorable short-term care scores this year. In fact, we gave it one of our stronger grades in that category, with a grade of B. In the category of short-term care, we seek to evaluate indicators of a facility's rehabilitation. We assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final item we considered in this category is the percentage of patients that returned home from the facility. We found that 5 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Garden Gate Health Care Facility?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to an additional strength for this facility, we gave them one of our better grades in our long-term care category as well, with a B. Nursing homes that excel in this category tend to be well-staffed and offer extensive hands on care to patients. After we finished assessing the volume of care provided by nurses, we then looked at the facility's vaccination statistics. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is very impressive. Pneumonia tragically can be a deadly health condition for nursing home patients so we like it when a facility doesn't leave its residents vulnerable. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Turning to our fourth area, this facility was given a decent nursing score. Although this is not quite as dominant as a few of its other scores, this is still not a terrible score. Nursing ratings are largely tied to the nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient each day. This figure is significantly below the national average. Finally, despite not having the highest total nursing hours, this place actually performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is generally an indicator that a place has sufficient quality controls in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Garden Gate Health Care Facility Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Garden Gate Health Care Facility, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term residents which developed pressure ulcers or bed sores. We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Garden Gate Health Care Facility, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term stay patients who had falls which caused severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Garden Gate Health Care Facility, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often linked to facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Closer supervision can reduce the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. We want to point out that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Garden Gate Health Care Facility, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These medications are used for a variety of medical conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Garden Gate Health Care Facility, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are given to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Garden Gate Health Care Facility, 13.2% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Garden Gate Health Care Facility, 91.26% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these types of vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Garden Gate Health Care Facility, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and eating. Some experts would argue this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Garden Gate Health Care Facility, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Garden Gate Health Care Facility, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care. There is usually a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Garden Gate Health Care Facility, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Garden Gate Health Care Facility, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Garden Gate Health Care Facility, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Buffalo, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Buffalo, New York has 19 other nursing homes
- Western Ny Childrens Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 3.41 miles away1010 East & West Road Buffalo New York 14224Government - State(716) 677-7000
- Mercy Hospital of BuffaloAcute Care Hospitals 3.56 miles away565 Abbott Road Buffalo New York 14220Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 826-7000
- Erie County Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.18 miles away462 Grider Street Buffalo New York 14215Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 898-3936
- Kaleida HealthAcute Care Hospitals 5.83 miles away100 High Street Buffalo New York 14210Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 859-8620
- Sisters of Charity HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.06 miles away2157 Main Street Buffalo New York 14214Voluntary non-profit - Private(716) 862-1000
- Kenmore Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.43 miles away2950 Elmwood Avenue Buffalo New York 14217Voluntary non-profit - Church(716) 447-6100
- Us Renal Care Cheektowaga Dialysis1 miles away2875 Union Road, Suite 13 C/D Buffalo New York 14227CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (716) 684-0276
- Davita Renal Care of Buffalo3.26 miles away550 Orchard Park Road Buffalo New York 14224CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (716) 677-0089
- Erie County Medical Center5.16 miles away462 Grider Street Dialysis Unit Buffalo New York 14215Dialysis Stations: 36 (716) 898-1400
- Davita Cleve Hill Dialysis Center5.21 miles away1461 Kensington Avenue Buffalo New York 14215CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (716) 831-8892
- Davita Buffalo Downtown Dialysis5.97 miles away520 Ellicott St Suite 100 Buffalo New York 14203Dialysis Stations: 13 (716) 845-5101
- Oishei Children's Hospital of Buffalo6.16 miles awayHemodialysis Unit 818 Ellicott Street Buffalo New York 14203Dialysis Stations: 4 (716) 323-1765
- Us Renal Care West Cheektowaga6.31 miles away2861 Harlem Road Buffalo New York 14225CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (716) 891-7429
- Pure Life Renal of Buffalo Inc.6.4 miles away6010 Main Street Buffalo New York 14221Dialysis Stations: 25 (716) 631-4700