Garden Crest Rehabilitation Center is located in the densely populated metropolitan area of Los Angeles, California. Sporting an overall score of C, this is a middle of the road nursing home. As far as we can see, this nursing home would be a solid choice for quite a few people. One of the better aspects of this nursing home's report card is its impressive inspection rating, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Garden Crest Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Los Angeles senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
It should be noted that this nursing home's inspection score outpaced its overall grade. In fact, we awarded it a B+ for its inspections rating, which is one of our better scores. Our inspection grades weigh several factors included in a facility's inspection report. One key criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. Places with higher grades in this category usually have very few of these severe deficiencies. While this place had a few minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G through L. This tells you that the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies should not stop you from considering a nursing home.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's second most favorable area was short-term care. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of B-. Our short-term care scores are arguably most important for people requiring rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation typically utilizes higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means not just nursing, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. We found that this nursing home was below average in the two key staffing areas we focus on. In fact, it provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. It is still important to determine whether this also correlates to a lower quality of care. The final datapoint we considered in this category is the number of patients that ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 5.8 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Garden Crest Rehabilitation Center?
This nursing home's next best category was nursing. We awarded it a grade of B- in this category. This is basically a middle of the road grade in this category. Our nursing score is primarily associated with a nursing home's nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Finally, despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours, this place performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is often a reliable indicator that a facility has quality controls in place.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's worst area is long-term care, which is the final category we looked at. For this category, we gave this facility a grade of D. If you are seeking services other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at long-term care ratings. On top of assessing the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients. To our surprise, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home had fewer hospitalizations than most nursing homes. Unfortunately, some of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Garden Crest Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Garden Crest Rehabilitation Center, 11.11% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Garden Crest Rehabilitation Center, 0% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents which have had falls leading to major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be an indication of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Garden Crest Rehabilitation Center, 0.56% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . UTI's are routinely linked to worse hygiene protocols. However, this datapoint may be skewed for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Garden Crest Rehabilitation Center, 7.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are administered to residents for a variety of conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Unfortunately, in limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Garden Crest Rehabilitation Center, 7.22% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of long-term residents which were administered antianxiety drugs. These drugs are commonly prescribed to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Garden Crest Rehabilitation Center, 0% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Garden Crest Rehabilitation Center, 98.94% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Garden Crest Rehabilitation Center, 11.25% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate deterioration of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Garden Crest Rehabilitation Center, 15.99% of Residents
This is the percentage of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Garden Crest Rehabilitation Center, 15.99% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Garden Crest Rehabilitation Center, 91.19% of Resident
This is the percent of short-term patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with ADL's usually correlates with superior rehabilitation.
Scores for Los Angeles, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Los Angeles, California has 34 other nursing homes
- Hollywood Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.91 miles away1300 N Vermont Ave Los Angeles California 90027Proprietary(213) 413-3000
- Children's Hosp of Los AngelesChildrens 1 miles away4650 Sunset Blvd, Ms 108 Los Angeles California 90027Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 669-2164
- Saint Vincent Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.64 miles away2131 W 3rd St Los Angeles California 90057Voluntary non-profit - Church(213) 484-7111
- Southern California Hospital at HollywoodAcute Care Hospitals 2.58 miles away6245 De Longpre Ave Los Angeles California 90028Proprietary(323) 462-2271
- Glendale Mem Hospital & Hlth CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.22 miles away1420 S Central Ave Glendale California 91204Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 502-1900
- California Hospital Medical Center LaAcute Care Hospitals 3.5 miles away1401 South Grand Avenue Los Angeles California 90015Voluntary non-profit - Other(213) 748-2411
- Lac+Usc Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.54 miles away1200 N State St, Room c2k100 Los Angeles California 90033Government - Local(323) 226-2800
- Glendale Adventist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.26 miles away1509 E Wilson Terrace Glendale California 91206Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 409-8202
- Davita-Silver Lake Dialysis0.8 miles away2723 W. Temple St Los Angeles California 90026CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (213) 480-3039
- Davita-Hollywood Dialysis Center0.99 miles away5108 Sunset Blvd. Los Angeles California 90027CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (323) 913-4010
- u.s. Renal Care Downtown Los Angeles Dialysis1.45 miles away2511 W 3rd Street, Suite 120 Los Angeles California 90057Dialysis Stations: 24 (213) 487-7730
- St. Vincent Dialysis Center, Inc.1.59 miles away201 S. Alvarado Street, Suite 220 Los Angeles California 90057Dialysis Stations: 17 (213) 484-7425
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of Mid-Wilshire2.04 miles away3545 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 100-103 Los Angeles California 90010CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (213) 382-8864
- u.s. Renal Care Gala Dialysis2.24 miles away1666 W. Third Street Los Angeles California 90017CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (213) 989-0247
- u.s. Renal Care Grand Home Program2.42 miles away1145 West 6th Street, Suite 100 Los Angeles California 90017Dialysis Stations: 3 (213) 250-9758
- u.s. Renal Care Los Angeles Dialysis2.44 miles away1125 W. 6th Street, Suite 101 Los Angeles California 90017CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (213) 481-3041