Garden Crest Rehabilitation Center is located in the densely populated metropolitan area of Los Angeles, California. Sporting an overall score of C, this is a middle of the road nursing home. As far as we can see, this nursing home would be a solid choice for quite a few people. One of the better aspects of this nursing home's report card is its impressive inspection rating, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Garden Crest Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
It should be noted that this nursing home's inspection score outpaced its overall grade. In fact, we awarded it a B+ for its inspections rating, which is one of our better scores. Our inspection grades weigh several factors included in a facility's inspection report. One key criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. Places with higher grades in this category usually have very few of these severe deficiencies. While this place had a few minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G through L. This tells you that the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies should not stop you from considering a nursing home.
Short-term Care Quality
Additionally, we also wanted to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received impressive short-term care marks this year. We gave them one of our more impressive grades in this category, with a B+. This proved to be the facility's second strongest score. Our short-term care ratings are probably more important for patients requiring rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation typically utilizes more highly-skilled nursing services. This includes not only nursing, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Unfortunately, it does not look like this nursing home submitted information on registered nurse or physical therapist staffing. The final statistic we considered in this area is the percentage of patients who eventually returned home from the facility. We found that 6.5 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Garden Crest Rehabilitation Center?
The next highest grade we gave this nursing home in any area came in the category of nursing, where we gave it a grade of C. The nursing rating considers numerous datapoints. The most heavily weighted variable is the amount of time nurses spend with residents. This facility provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This is a lower figure than we were hoping for. Lastly, although this place got dinged a bit for nursing hours per resident, it excelled in a few of our quality metrics. With fewer than five percent of its residents experiencing pressure ulcers, it did well in this subcategory.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's worst area was long-term care, which is the last area we assessed. For this area, we awarded this facility a grade of just D. For prospective patients seeking a permanent place to live rather than rehabilitation, long-term care is a very important category. On top of considering the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 99.324326 percent of its patients. Surprisingly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility has fewer hospitalizations than the average nursing home. Sadly, a few of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Garden Crest Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Garden Crest Rehabilitation Center, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure measures the percent of long-term residents who developed pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Garden Crest Rehabilitation Center, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . Falls which result in injury are routinely the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Garden Crest Rehabilitation Center, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely caused by facilities with worst hygiene practices. More frequent bathing can reduce the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. We want to point out that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Garden Crest Rehabilitation Center, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term patients who are administered antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such medications are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes need to rely on these drugs due to an increased number of patients suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Garden Crest Rehabilitation Center, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are used to treat patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Garden Crest Rehabilitation Center, 4.33% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Garden Crest Rehabilitation Center, 95.72% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Garden Crest Rehabilitation Center, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and bathing. Some experts would argue this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Garden Crest Rehabilitation Center, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term stay patients who remained mobile levels. Some experts would argue that mobility is vital to patients mental and physical well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Garden Crest Rehabilitation Center, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Garden Crest Rehabilitation Center, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry believe this is a reasonable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Los Angeles, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Los Angeles, California has 74 other nursing homes
- Hollywood Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.91 miles away1300 N Vermont Ave Los Angeles California 90027Proprietary(213) 413-3000
- Children's Hosp of Los AngelesChildrens 1 miles away4650 Sunset Blvd, Ms 108 Los Angeles California 90027Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 669-2164
- Saint Vincent Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.64 miles away2131 W 3rd St Los Angeles California 90057Voluntary non-profit - Church(213) 484-7111
- Southern California Hospital at HollywoodAcute Care Hospitals 2.58 miles away6245 De Longpre Ave Los Angeles California 90028Proprietary(323) 462-2271
- Glendale Mem Hospital & Hlth CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.22 miles away1420 S Central Ave Glendale California 91204Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 502-1900
- California Hospital Medical Center LaAcute Care Hospitals 3.5 miles away1401 South Grand Avenue Los Angeles California 90015Voluntary non-profit - Other(213) 748-2411
- Lac+Usc Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.54 miles away1200 N State St, Room c2k100 Los Angeles California 90033Government - Local(323) 226-2800
- Glendale Adventist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.26 miles away1509 E Wilson Terrace Glendale California 91206Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 409-8202
- Davita-Silver Lake Dialysis0.8 miles away2723 W. Temple St Los Angeles California 90026CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (213) 480-3039
- Davita-Hollywood Dialysis Center0.99 miles away5108 Sunset Blvd. Los Angeles California 90027CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (323) 913-4010
- u.s. Renal Care Downtown Los Angeles Dialysis1.45 miles away2511 W 3rd Street, Suite 120 Los Angeles California 90057Dialysis Stations: 24 (213) 487-7730
- St. Vincent Dialysis Center, Inc.1.59 miles away201 S. Alvarado Street, Suite 220 Los Angeles California 90057Dialysis Stations: 17 (213) 484-7425
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of Mid-Wilshire2.04 miles away3545 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 100-103 Los Angeles California 90010CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (213) 382-8864
- u.s. Renal Care Gala Dialysis2.24 miles away1666 W. Third Street Los Angeles California 90017CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (213) 989-0247
- u.s. Renal Care Grand Home Program2.42 miles away1145 West 6th Street, Suite 100 Los Angeles California 90017Dialysis Stations: 3 (213) 250-9758
- u.s. Renal Care Los Angeles Dialysis2.44 miles away1125 W. 6th Street, Suite 101 Los Angeles California 90017CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (213) 481-3041