Garden Care Center is a nursing home located in Franklin Square, New York, a city with 23,821 people. We awarded it an overall grade of C, which is a middle of the road score. You can certainly do worse than this nursing home. The best part of this place's profile is its remarkable inspection score. Inspection grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Garden Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
135 Franklin Avenue,
Franklin Square NY 11010
65.93% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
The main reason this facility received a decent overall grade is its impeccable government inspections in recent years. We awarded it one of our better grades in that area, with a grade of A+. This is a notably better grade than the facility's overall grade, which was decent but not in the elite range. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating our inspection scores. One critical factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more important than the number of deficiencies, as some deficiencies are quite insignificant. While this nursing home had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means the inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A couple minor deficiencies should not lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's second highest area ended up being long-term care. In that category, we awarded this nursing home a B-. In the category of long-term care, we look at the quantity of services provided by a facility, rather than more medically-intensive services. Once we assessed the amount of care provided by nurses, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination records. Frankly, we were a bit alarmed this nursing home vaccinated only 87.35955 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Nevertheless, this nursing home keeps its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Garden Care Center?
Another strength of this nursing home is its favorable grade in nursing. We gave them one of our better scores in that area, with an impressive grade of D. The nursing score is based on many subcategories, but the main consideration is the quantity of nurse hours spent with patients. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This is an alarmingly low total. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing scores. This place fared well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we assessed is short-term care, which proved to be this facility's worst area. We gave it an F in this area, which is certainly a major concern. Short-term care scores are based in part on the facility's quantity of skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This means a wide spectrum of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, not to mention other variations of therapy. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. Lastly, we considered the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that just 4.3 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Garden Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Garden Care Center, 9.58% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Garden Care Center, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients who sustained a fall which resulted in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Garden Care Center, 2.1% of Patients had UTIs
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term stay patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Although a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it can be difficult to compare different nursing homes due to facilities having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Garden Care Center, 11.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure tells you the percent of long-term patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such medications are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some facilities may need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of residents suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Garden Care Center, 13.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are generally prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Garden Care Center, 13.2% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who are exhibiting signs of depression. Higher rates of depression could be an indicator worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Garden Care Center, 91.26% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Garden Care Center, 14.75% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of erosion of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Garden Care Center, 17.32% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Garden Care Center, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Garden Care Center, 17.32 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Garden Care Center, 8.8 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Garden Care Center, 75.07% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Mercy Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.53 miles away1000 North Village Avenue Rockville Centre New York 11570Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 705-2525
- Nyu Winthrop HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.14 miles away259 First Street Mineola New York 11501Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 663-0333
- Creedmoor Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 3.76 miles away80-45 Winchester Blvd Bldg B Queens Village New York 11427Government - State(718) 264-4000
- North Shore University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.35 miles away300 Community Drive Manhasset New York 11030Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 562-0100
- Nassau University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.55 miles away2201 Hempstead Turnpike East Meadow New York 11554Government - Local(516) 572-0123
- Queens Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.58 miles away82-68 164th Street Jamaica New York 11432Government - Local(718) 883-3000
- St Francis Hospital, RoslynAcute Care Hospitals 6.98 miles away100 Port Washington Boulevard Roslyn New York 11576Voluntary non-profit - Church(516) 562-6000
- Jamaica Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.22 miles away89th Avenue and Van Wyck Expressway Richmond Hill New York 11418Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 262-6000
- True North Dialysis Center, LLC1.37 miles away1 Cisney Ave Floral Park New York 11001Dialysis Stations: 1 (516) 327-9502
- New Hyde Park Dialysis Center2.18 miles awayNew Hyde Park Dialysis Center 1574 Hillside Avenue New Hyde Park New York 11040CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (516) 327-5555
- Queens-Long Island Renal Institute2.18 miles away271-11 76th Avenue New Hyde Park New York 11040CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (718) 289-2600
- Lij Medical Center2.18 miles away270-05 76th Avenue Dialysis Unit 7th Floor New Hyde Park New York 11040Dialysis Stations: 6 (718) 470-7820
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Hempstead2.51 miles away615 Peninsula Boulevard Hempstead New York 11550CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (516) 483-6702
- Lij Satellite Dialysis Facility2.94 miles away220-22 Hillside Avenue Queens Village New York 11427CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 975-1300
- Davita Queens Village Dialysis Center3.09 miles away222-02 Hempstead Avenue Suite 170 Queens Village New York 11429CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 217-6200
- Nyu Langone Hospitals3.16 miles away200 Old Country Road The Dialysis Center Mineola New York 11501CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (516) 663-9012