Galtier a Villa Center is in the densely populated metropolitan area of Saint Paul, Minnesota which has a population of 753,116 people. We awarded it an overall grade of B-, which is a middle of the pack grade. Even in a city with 14 nursing homes, this facility looks like a respectable choice. One of the better aspects of this facility's profile is its impressive nursing rating, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Galtier a Villa Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Saint Paul senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Meal Delivery
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Lymphedema Care
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to having a decent overall grade, we also wanted to note that this nursing home received favorable nursing marks this year. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a B+. This proved to be the facility's top score. We weighed the skill-level of nurses at the nursing home, in addition to the number of hours those nurses were with residents, in determining our rating in this area. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as by having a policy of turning a patient at least once a day.
Inspections is another category where this nursing home excelled. In fact, we gave this nursing home an B+ for our inspections rating. Perhaps the most significant factor we consider in determining our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities with higher grades in this category typically avoided the most severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. This place was hit with 7 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered severe. This indicates that the inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies to be an imminent risk to patient health or safety. We should note that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in this industry.
Does this page answer your questions about Galtier a Villa Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next highest category turned out to be its long-term care score, where it was given a B-. For patients seeking a permanent residence rather than rehabilitation, long-term care grades are very important. Once we finished looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination records. Candidly, we were a bit alarmed this nursing home vaccinated only 68.86447 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Fortunately, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Short-term Care Quality
Our final category is short-term care, in which we awarded this facility a grade of C in this area. Short-term care grades are typically used to grade a facility's rehabilitation services. In order to offer good rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to provide higher levels of highly skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other types of therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 3.8 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their patients are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Galtier a Villa Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Galtier a Villa Center, 6.14% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Galtier a Villa Center, 3.86% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care. More supervision can limit the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Galtier a Villa Center, 2.89% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Galtier a Villa Center, 15.26% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents given antipsychotic medications. These medications are used for a variety of medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Galtier a Villa Center, 11.96% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term stay residents who are prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are given to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Galtier a Villa Center, 4.16% of Patients
This is the percent of patients showing symptoms of depression. Increased levels of depression may imply a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Galtier a Villa Center, 94.15% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Galtier a Villa Center, 13.41% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and taking a bath. Some would argue that this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Galtier a Villa Center, 15.86% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Galtier a Villa Center, 1.28 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is important to preserving the physical health of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Galtier a Villa Center, 15.86 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Galtier a Villa Center, 14.49 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to measure patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Galtier a Villa Center, 77.42% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some experts believe that this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Saint Paul, MN
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Saint Paul, Minnesota has 13 other nursing homes
- Regions HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.72 miles away640 Jackson Street Saint Paul Minnesota 55101Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 254-1616
- United HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.89 miles away333 North Smith Avenue Saint Paul Minnesota 55102Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 241-8810
- University of Minnesota Medical Center, FairviewAcute Care Hospitals 6.26 miles away2450 Riverside Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55454Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 273-3000
- Healtheast St John's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.34 miles away1575 Beam Avenue Saint Paul Minnesota 55109Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 232-7000
- Abbott Northwestern HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.39 miles away800 East 28th Street Minneapolis Minnesota 55407Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 863-4457
- Children's Hospitals & Clinics of MnChildrens 7.41 miles away2525 Chicago Avenue South Minneapolis Minnesota 55404Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 813-6112
- Hennepin County Medical Center 1Acute Care Hospitals 7.51 miles away701 Park Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55415Government - Local(612) 873-3629
- North Memorial HealthAcute Care Hospitals 11.06 miles away3300 Oakdale North Minneapolis Minnesota 55422Voluntary non-profit - Private(763) 520-5200
- Capitol Dialysis of Davita0.41 miles away555 Park St, Suite 230 Saint Paul Minnesota 55103Dialysis Stations: 16 (651) 221-3318
- St Paul Dialysis of Davita0.41 miles away555 Park St, Suite 180 Saint Paul Minnesota 55103CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (651) 291-8855
- Capitol Home Program of Davita - Hemo Unit0.41 miles away555 Park Street Suite 210, Hemo Unit Saint Paul Minnesota 55103Dialysis Stations: 4 (651) 221-0896
- Davita Phalen Dialysis2.24 miles away863 Arcade St Saint Paul Minnesota 55106Dialysis Stations: 12 (651) 776-0466
- Fresenius Medical Care - Midway St Paul2.96 miles away1690 University Ave W Suite B - 100 Saint Paul Minnesota 55104Dialysis Stations: 22 (651) 917-0081
- Highland Park Dialysis of Davita2.97 miles away1559 7th St W Saint Paul Minnesota 55102Dialysis Stations: 12 (651) 222-7139
- Davita - Larpenteur Ave Dialysis3.1 miles away1739 Lexington Ave N Saint Paul Minnesota 55113Dialysis Stations: 12 (651) 489-9260
- Fmc Dialysis - Roseville3.36 miles away2045 Rice St Saint Paul Minnesota 55113Dialysis Stations: 13 (651) 489-3312