Galleria Woods Skilled Nursing Facility is a small facility in Birmingham, Alabama. With an A+ overall grade, we ranked this nursing home in the top five percent of all facilities in the United States. We flat out can not say enough good things about this facility. As you will see below, this place performed just as well in our category grades. We gave it a straight A report card!
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Galleria Woods Skilled Nursing Facility
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
3850 Galleria Woods Drive,
Birmingham AL 35244
86.33% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Top Nursing Home in Alabama Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Birmingham, Alabama Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Alabama Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Alabama Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Birmingham, Alabama Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
One of the many reasons this place received a great overall grade is that it earned an A+ short-term care grade. In computing our short-term care scores, we look at the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The purpose is to create a barometer for sizing up the rehabilitation services of nursing homes. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final datapoint we looked at in this area is the number of patients who were able to return home from the facility. We found that 6 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Turning to our inspection category, this facility excelled in that area, which is based on the nursing home's recent inspection reports. In fact, we awarded it an A for that category. Inspection grades account for several factors found on a facility's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we rely on is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Places with better scores in this area usually have few of these severe deficiencies. Although this place had some deficiencies on its report, none of them were serious based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Galleria Woods Skilled Nursing Facility?
Adding to its strong resume, this facility also received an excellent nursing score, with a grade of A. Nursing ratings are largely associated with a facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Long-term Care Quality
In our last area, we awarded this nursing home an A for its long-term care grade. This topped off a very impressive report card. Facilities that receive this kind of score in long-term care typically provide consistent 24/7 care to ensure residents are well cared for. Once we concluded our assessment of the amount of care provided by nurses, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 98.96907 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is very impressive. Pneumonia sadly can be a deadly ailment for nursing home patients so we like it when a facility does not take any chances. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Galleria Woods Skilled Nursing Facility Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Galleria Woods Skilled Nursing Facility, 9.43% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often caused by patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care minimizes the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Galleria Woods Skilled Nursing Facility, 3.42% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents that sustained falls resulting in serious injury. We use this statistic in calculating nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Galleria Woods Skilled Nursing Facility, 3.36% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often associated with worse hygiene protocols. Closer supervision can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Galleria Woods Skilled Nursing Facility, 19.38% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Galleria Woods Skilled Nursing Facility, 23.22% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who are given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are given to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Galleria Woods Skilled Nursing Facility, 1.24% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who are exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Galleria Woods Skilled Nursing Facility, 91.17% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Galleria Woods Skilled Nursing Facility, 13.58% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Galleria Woods Skilled Nursing Facility, 14.98% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who were able to retain mobility. Some argue that the ability to move around is important for residents' physical and mental health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Galleria Woods Skilled Nursing Facility, 14.98 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Galleria Woods Skilled Nursing Facility, 76.71% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many believe this is a reliable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Birmingham, AL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Birmingham, Alabama has 8 other nursing homes
- Brookwood Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.18 miles away2010 Brookwood Medical Center Drive Birmingham Alabama 35209Proprietary(205) 877-1000
- Grandview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.43 miles away3690 Grandview Parkway Birmingham Alabama 35243Proprietary(205) 971-1000
- Shelby Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.68 miles away1000 First Street North Alabaster Alabama 35007Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 620-8100
- Princeton Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.36 miles away701 Princeton Avenue Southwest Birmingham Alabama 35211Voluntary non-profit - Church(205) 783-3800
- Children's Hospital of AlabamaChildrens 9.56 miles away1600 Seventh Avenue South Birmingham Alabama 35233Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 939-9100
- Uab Callahan Eye Hospital AuthorityAcute Care Hospitals 9.57 miles away1720 University Blvd, Suite 500 Birmingham Alabama 35233Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 325-8100
- University of Alabama HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.78 miles away619 South 19th Street Birmingham Alabama 35233Government - State(205) 934-4011
- St Vincent's BirminghamAcute Care Hospitals 10.02 miles away810 St Vincent's Drive Birmingham Alabama 35205Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 939-7000
- Fmc Hoover2.52 miles away2104 Lorna Ridge Lane Birmingham Alabama 35216Dialysis Stations: 12 (205) 979-3708
- Fmc Cahaba Valley2.55 miles away120 Cahaba Valley Parkway Suite 150 Pelham Alabama 35124Dialysis Stations: 24 (205) 988-0469
- Fresenius Medical Care Birmingham Home, LLC5.29 miles away35 West Lakeshore Drive Suite 105 Birmingham Alabama 35209Dialysis Stations: 13 (205) 290-1197
- Fmc Shelby7.75 miles away1022 First Street North Suite 101 Alabaster Alabama 35007Dialysis Stations: 12 (205) 620-6867
- Renal Treatment Centers Southeast, Lp7.82 miles away5406 Highway 280, Suite d107 Birmingham Alabama 35242Dialysis Stations: 10 (205) 981-2045
- Bio-Medical Applications of Alabama, Inc.8.18 miles away105 Inverness Cors Birmingham Alabama 35242Dialysis Stations: 10 (205) 981-4925
- Fmc Midfield Dialysis8.38 miles away613 Bessemer Super Highway Birmingham Alabama 35228CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (205) 481-0019
- Bessemer Dialysis9.13 miles away901 Westlake Mall Ste 101 Bessemer Alabama 35020Dialysis Stations: 16 (205) 424-1848