Galleria Woods Skilled Nursing Facility is a small facility in Birmingham, Alabama. This nursing home has the prestigious distinction of being one of the five best facilities in Alabama. We flat out can not say enough good things about this facility. As you will see below, this place performed just as well in our category grades. We gave it a straight A report card!
Galleria Woods Skilled Nursing Facility
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
In addition to receiving a great overall grade, this facility also received an A+ long-term care grade. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in long-term care it generally means it has plenty of staff and is a quality place to reside on a permanent basis. In addition to considering the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is much higher than most nursing homes. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Adding to its impressive category grades, this facility also excelled in the area of inspections, where it earned an A. Few nursing homes performed as well in this area. Arguably the most critical factor we look at in determining our inspection scores is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities with better scores in this category typically avoided the most severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. This facility was assessed 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered to be severe. This tells you that the government inspectors didn't consider any of these deficiencies to pose an immediate risk to resident safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Galleria Woods Skilled Nursing Facility?
To complement its strong performance in other areas, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for our inspections rating. In computing our nursing ratings, we analyze both the number of hours nurses spend with residents and the levels of licensure of the nurses. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
In the final category, we gave this facility an A for its short-term care grade. This rounded out a very strong profile. Our short-term care scores are meaningful for patients looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually mandates additional highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means a wide spectrum of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we considered the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 6 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Galleria Woods Skilled Nursing Facility Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Galleria Woods Skilled Nursing Facility, 9.14% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Galleria Woods Skilled Nursing Facility, 3.5% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term care patients which sustained a fall which resulted in severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Galleria Woods Skilled Nursing Facility, 3.25% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of nursing care . UTI's are routinely linked to poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this metric can be skewed for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Galleria Woods Skilled Nursing Facility, 19.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric tells you the percent of long-term care residents who are administered antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such drugs aren't medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these medications due to having more residents with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Galleria Woods Skilled Nursing Facility, 23.34% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were given antianxiety medications. These medications are commonly used to treat residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Galleria Woods Skilled Nursing Facility, 1.35% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who are demonstrating signs of depression. Many argue this is a reliable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Galleria Woods Skilled Nursing Facility, 91.96% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Galleria Woods Skilled Nursing Facility, 13.45% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and using the bathroom. Many in the industry believe that this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Galleria Woods Skilled Nursing Facility, 18.12% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents that were able to retain mobility. Many in the industry argue that the ability to move around is vital to residents' physical and mental well-being.
In Galleria Woods Skilled Nursing Facility, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is critical to the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Galleria Woods Skilled Nursing Facility, 18.12 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Galleria Woods Skilled Nursing Facility, 11.48 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Galleria Woods Skilled Nursing Facility, 72.53% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term residents who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Birmingham, AL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Birmingham, Alabama has 15 other nursing homes
- Brookwood Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.18 miles away2010 Brookwood Medical Center Drive Birmingham Alabama 35209Proprietary(205) 877-1000
- Grandview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.43 miles away3690 Grandview Parkway Birmingham Alabama 35243Proprietary(205) 971-1000
- Shelby Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.68 miles away1000 First Street North Alabaster Alabama 35007Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 620-8100
- Princeton Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.36 miles away701 Princeton Avenue Southwest Birmingham Alabama 35211Voluntary non-profit - Church(205) 783-3800
- Children's Hospital of AlabamaChildrens 9.56 miles away1600 Seventh Avenue South Birmingham Alabama 35233Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 939-9100
- Uab Callahan Eye Hospital AuthorityAcute Care Hospitals 9.57 miles away1720 University Blvd, Suite 500 Birmingham Alabama 35233Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 325-8100
- University of Alabama HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.78 miles away619 South 19th Street Birmingham Alabama 35233Government - State(205) 934-4011
- St Vincent's BirminghamAcute Care Hospitals 10.02 miles away810 St Vincent's Drive Birmingham Alabama 35205Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 939-7000
- Fmc Hoover2.52 miles away2104 Lorna Ridge Lane Birmingham Alabama 35216Dialysis Stations: 12 (205) 979-3708
- Fmc Cahaba Valley2.55 miles away120 Cahaba Valley Parkway Suite 150 Pelham Alabama 35124Dialysis Stations: 24 (205) 988-0469
- Fresenius Medical Care Birmingham Home, LLC5.29 miles away35 West Lakeshore Drive Suite 105 Birmingham Alabama 35209Dialysis Stations: 13 (205) 290-1197
- Fmc Shelby7.75 miles away1022 First Street North Suite 101 Alabaster Alabama 35007Dialysis Stations: 12 (205) 620-6867
- Renal Treatment Centers Southeast, Lp7.82 miles away5406 Highway 280, Suite d107 Birmingham Alabama 35242Dialysis Stations: 10 (205) 981-2045
- Bio-Medical Applications of Alabama, Inc.8.18 miles away105 Inverness Cors Birmingham Alabama 35242Dialysis Stations: 10 (205) 981-4925
- Fmc Midfield Dialysis8.38 miles away613 Bessemer Super Highway Birmingham Alabama 35228CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (205) 481-0019
- Bessemer Dialysis9.13 miles away901 Westlake Mall Ste 101 Bessemer Alabama 35020Dialysis Stations: 16 (205) 424-1848