Future Care Homewood is a large nursing home located in Baltimore, Maryland. This nursing home proved to be a middle of the road facility, with an overall grade of B-. Even in a city offering 27 nursing homes, this facility ought to be a fine option. You should also take a look at this facility's category grades below. short-term care grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Future Care Homewood
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home excelled in our short-term care rating, with an impressive grade of A- in this category. This really boosted its overall grade. With our short-term care score, we try to create a fair measure for rehabilitation services. In this process, we analyze the nursing home's levels of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last datapoint we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We found that 6.3 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
This nursing home's second best category grade came in the area of government inspections. In that category, we gave this facility a grade of B. It actually outperformed most nursing homes in this category. Inspection scores account for a host of factors included in a facility's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we rely on is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher grades in this category tend to have few of these severe deficiencies. Although this place had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were severe based on CMS' scale. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspections are rare in the industry.
Does this page answer your questions about Future Care Homewood?
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we looked at was long-term care. In that category, we awarded this nursing home a B. It actually outperformed most nursing homes in this area. If you are seeking services other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each facility's long-term care scores. One of the statistics we considered in addition to nursing hours is vaccinations. This nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccine to 86.894585 percent of its patients. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we like to see, we were pleased to find place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.04 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Turning to our fourth category, this facility received a decent nursing grade of B-. Nursing ratings are tied to levels of nurse staffing. This facility provides only 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is a somewhat alarming figure which is well below the national average. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this facility actually excelled in some of the quality measures we assessed. In fact, it scored well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care. In some cases, the quality of nursing care is as important as the number of hours of care offered.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Future Care Homewood Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Future Care Homewood, 10.35% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents that have pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are an indicator of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Future Care Homewood, 2.83% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are routinely the result of poor nursing care. More supervision reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Future Care Homewood, 2.06% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many experts to be a barometer of nursing care . UTI's are often associated with a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this metric could also be misleading for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Future Care Homewood, 13.12% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who are administered antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such drugs are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some facilities need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of patients with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Future Care Homewood, 14.71% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is an indication of the percent of long-term care residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Future Care Homewood, 10.05% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients who are demonstrating signs of depression. Many in the industry argue that this is a measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Future Care Homewood, 92.62% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Future Care Homewood, 19.85% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate decline of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Future Care Homewood, 30.15% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients that remained mobile levels.
In Future Care Homewood, 0.99 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Future Care Homewood, 30.15 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Future Care Homewood, 8.9 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to gauge patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Future Care Homewood, 73.77% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Baltimore, MD
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Baltimore, Maryland has 26 other nursing homes
- Medstar Union Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.66 miles away201 East University Parkway Baltimore Maryland 21218Voluntary non-profit - Other(410) 554-2227
- University of Md Medical Center Midtown CampusAcute Care Hospitals 1.47 miles away827 Linden Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21201Voluntary non-profit - Other(410) 225-8996
- Kennedy Krieger InstituteChildrens 1.97 miles away707 North Broadway Baltimore Maryland 21205Voluntary non-profit - Private(443) 923-9301
- Mercy Medical Center IncAcute Care Hospitals 2.01 miles away301 Saint Paul Place Baltimore Maryland 21202Voluntary non-profit - Church(410) 332-9237
- Johns Hopkins Hospital, TheAcute Care Hospitals 2.15 miles away600 North Wolfe Street Baltimore Maryland 21287Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 955-9540
- University of Maryland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.38 miles away22 South Greene Street Baltimore Maryland 21201Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 328-8667
- Bon Secours HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.88 miles away2000 W Baltimore Street Baltimore Maryland 21223Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 362-3000
- Medstar Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.08 miles away5601 Loch Raven Boulevard Baltimore Maryland 21239Voluntary non-profit - Other(443) 444-3902
- Us Renal Care - North Baltimore0.02 miles away2700 North Charles St Baltimore Maryland 21218Dialysis Stations: 11 (410) 243-4193
- Bma - Baltimore0.44 miles away2801 Greenmount Avenue Suite 2833 Baltimore Maryland 21218CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (410) 235-5659
- Davita Union Memorial Dialysis0.58 miles away201 East University Parkway Baltimore Maryland 21218Dialysis Stations: 27 (410) 554-4535
- Idf - Chestnut Square Dialysis Ctr0.75 miles away3303 Chestnut Ave Baltimore Maryland 21211Dialysis Stations: 21 (410) 366-5400
- Treet Dialysis Inc0.91 miles away920 E 25th St Baltimore Maryland 21218CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (410) 235-1611
- Fresenius Kidney Care Broadway Street1.26 miles away1900 North Broadway Street Baltimore Maryland 21213Dialysis Stations: 26 (410) 467-0540
- Downtown Dialysis Center1.52 miles away821 N Eutaw St Ste 401 Baltimore Maryland 21201CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (410) 383-3450
- Kidney Home Center, LLC1.67 miles away200 Saint Paul St., Ste. 5 Baltimore Maryland 21202Dialysis Stations: 4 (410) 244-5638