Future Care Chesapeake is a large nursing home located in Arnold, Maryland. We gave this facility an overall grade of B+. A score of this caliber requires solid marks in most areas. As far as we can see, this place is a solid choice for most people. Fortunately, this facility didn't have any bad scores in any of the major categories discussed below. Additional information about these categories can be found below.
Future Care Chesapeake
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
One of the reasons this proved to be a quality nursing home is that it received a very impressive short-term care grade. Short-term care turned out to be its best category. In that area, we awarded this nursing home an impressive grade of A. Our short-term care grade is generally used to gauge a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation. To have highly scored rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to offer higher levels of highly skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other highly trained professionals. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final measure we looked at in this category is the percentage of residents that returned home from the nursing home. We found that 5.9 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
In addition, this facility also excelled in the area of inspections, where it received an A-. Our inspection scores account for several factors included in a facility's inspection reports. One key criteria we look at is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with better scores in this category usually have very few severe deficiencies. This nursing home was assessed 5 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered severe. This indicates that the government inspectors did not consider any of these deficiencies to create an immediate threat to resident safety or health. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in the industry.
Does this page answer your questions about Future Care Chesapeake?
In addition, this facility also received favorable nursing grades this year. In fact, we awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of B. In determining a facility's nursing score, we consider the quantity of hours nurses are with patients and the level of licensure of the nurses. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we assessed was this facility's worst category. Nevertheless, even in its weakest link we still gave it an acceptable grade of B- for our long-term care category. In determining our long-term care ratings, we size up the personal care received by the nursing home's patients. After looking at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination record. We were pleased to find that this nursing home vaccinated 95.51282 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Finally, this nursing home was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Future Care Chesapeake Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Future Care Chesapeake, 10.24% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely caused by residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Future Care Chesapeake, 2.73% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients who sustained a fall which caused major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Future Care Chesapeake, 2.07% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients which have experienced urinary tract infections. UTI's may be an indication of worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint may be skewed for some facilities due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Future Care Chesapeake, 13.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term residents which are prescribed antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs are not medically required. Nevertheless, some facilities need to rely more on these medications due to an increased number of patients with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Future Care Chesapeake, 14.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are administered to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Future Care Chesapeake, 10.18% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Future Care Chesapeake, 92.14% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Future Care Chesapeake, 19.83% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate erosion of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Future Care Chesapeake, 28.37% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Future Care Chesapeake, 1.1 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Future Care Chesapeake, 28.37 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Future Care Chesapeake, 8.93 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to assess patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Future Care Chesapeake, 74.3% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term patients who saw functional improvements.
- Anne Arundel Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.5 miles away2001 Medical Parkway Annapolis Maryland 21401Voluntary non-profit - Private(443) 481-1307
- Umd Baltimore Washington Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.69 miles away301 Hospital Drive Glen Burnie Maryland 21061Voluntary non-profit - Other(410) 595-1967
- Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.63 miles away4940 Eastern Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21224Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 550-0123
- University of Maryland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.55 miles away22 South Greene Street Baltimore Maryland 21201Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 328-8667
- Saint Agnes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.66 miles away900 Caton Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21229Voluntary non-profit - Church(410) 368-2101
- Johns Hopkins Hospital, TheAcute Care Hospitals 17.71 miles away600 North Wolfe Street Baltimore Maryland 21287Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 955-9540
- Mercy Medical Center IncAcute Care Hospitals 17.71 miles away301 Saint Paul Place Baltimore Maryland 21202Voluntary non-profit - Church(410) 332-9237
- Kennedy Krieger InstituteChildrens 17.83 miles away707 North Broadway Baltimore Maryland 21205Voluntary non-profit - Private(443) 923-9301
- Us Renal Care - Chesapeake0.12 miles away305 College Pky Arnold Maryland 21012Dialysis Stations: 6 (410) 431-5106
- Fmc - Anne Arundel4.56 miles away2032 Industrial Dr Annapolis Maryland 21401Dialysis Stations: 19 (410) 266-7288
- Davita-Annapolis Dialysis5.14 miles away1127 West St Ste 100 Annapolis Maryland 21401Dialysis Stations: 16 (410) 626-6139
- Davita Pasadena Dialysis5.25 miles away8037 Governor Ritchie Hwy. Suite A Pasadena Maryland 21122CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (410) 590-4615
- Bma - South Annapolis5.93 miles away304 Harry S Truman Pkwy Stes H-K Annapolis Maryland 21401Dialysis Stations: 15 (301) 261-1036
- Idf - Arundel Center9.87 miles away804 Landmark Drive Ste 112 Glen Burnie Maryland 21061CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (410) 768-5722
- Odenton Dialysis10.63 miles away1360 Blair Drive Suites L & M Odenton Maryland 21113Dialysis Stations: 19 (410) 674-3918
- Fresenius Anne Arundel Outpatient Dialysis Services, LLC10.69 miles away1105 Annapolis Rd Odenton Maryland 21113Dialysis Stations: 19 (410) 672-8024