Fulton Commons Care Center is located in East Meadow, New York, a city with 38,132 people. Featuring an overall score of D, this is a relatively poor facility. If you are not satisfied with this facility's pedestrian overall grade, you may have to look in other cities as this is the only nursing home in East Meadow. The only positive thing we can say about this nursing home is that it did not receive any F's in any of the categories we assessed. Additional information about these categories can be found below.
Fulton Commons Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Note: Fulton Commons Care Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
While we did not have many positive things to say about this facility's overall score, it did receive a somewhat respectable government inspection report this year. As a result, it received a decent score in this category with a B-. Our inspection ratings are based on items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are an important item to look for on these reports. Severe deficiencies indicate a risk to the well being of residents. This facility was hit with 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be major deficiencies. This indicates that the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies an imminent risk to patient health or safety. Finally, CMS cited this nursing home for possible abuse or neglect. Hopefully, its performance improves in the future, but until then we simply can't recommend this facility.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's second highest area ended up being short-term care. In that category, we awarded this facility a B-. In calculating our short-term care grades, we analyze the facility's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other licensed professionals. This grade is more often than not a reliable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. Unfortunately, we found that this place provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other nursing homes. The tricky part is determining what bearing this had on the quality of care. The last item we assessed in this category is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that just 5.5 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Fulton Commons Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility was given its third highest category score in the category of long-term care. We gave this nursing home a grade of B- in this area, which is a reasonably acceptable grade. Our long-term care ratings are more important for residents in need of more conventional assistance associated with activities of daily living. After considering the volume of nursing care, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination data. We were pleased to learn that this facility vaccinates 99.54128 percent of its residents for pneumonia. This place keeps its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
This facility's weakest area is nursing, which is the last category we analyzed. For this area, we awarded this facility a grade of D. Our nursing rating analyzes quite a few subcategories, but the most important consideration is the quantity of nurse hours per patient per week. This place offered a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient daily. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing grades. This place performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these metrics to be measures of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Fulton Commons Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Fulton Commons Care Center, 9.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term residents which suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We consider this statistic when determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Fulton Commons Care Center, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents that have had a fall which caused major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Fulton Commons Care Center, 2.08% of Patients had UTIs
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's may be an indication of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this statistic can be misleading for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Fulton Commons Care Center, 11.61% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are given to residents for many medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Tragically, in limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Fulton Commons Care Center, 13.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of long-term patients that were administered antianxiety drugs. These medications are given to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Fulton Commons Care Center, 13.6% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents showing signs of depression. Many in the industry believe that this is a reasonable measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Fulton Commons Care Center, 91.89% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Fulton Commons Care Center, 14.66% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and taking a bath. Many in the industry would argue this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Fulton Commons Care Center, 18.82% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term care residents that retained mobility levels.
In Fulton Commons Care Center, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Fulton Commons Care Center, 18.82 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Fulton Commons Care Center, 8.77 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Fulton Commons Care Center, 74.71% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of independence with ADL's often correlates with successful rehabilitation.
- Nassau University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.64 miles away2201 Hempstead Turnpike East Meadow New York 11554Government - Local(516) 572-0123
- Nyu Winthrop HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.17 miles away259 First Street Mineola New York 11501Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 663-0333
- Mercy Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.3 miles away1000 North Village Avenue Rockville Centre New York 11570Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 705-2525
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.42 miles away4295 Hempstead Turnpike Bethpage New York 11714Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 579-6000
- Plainview HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.09 miles away888 Old Country Road Plainview New York 11803Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 719-3000
- St Francis Hospital, RoslynAcute Care Hospitals 6.6 miles away100 Port Washington Boulevard Roslyn New York 11576Voluntary non-profit - Church(516) 562-6000
- North Shore University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.87 miles away300 Community Drive Manhasset New York 11030Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 562-0100
- Creedmoor Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 7.82 miles away80-45 Winchester Blvd Bldg B Queens Village New York 11427Government - State(718) 264-4000
- Davita Garden City Dialysis Center0.52 miles away1100 Stewart Avenue Suite 2 Garden City New York 11530CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (516) 357-0004
- Nassau University Medical Center2.57 miles awayA. Holly Paterson Extended Care Facility 875 Jerusalem Avenue Uniondale New York 11553CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (516) 572-1800
- Nyu Langone Hospitals2.93 miles away200 Old Country Road The Dialysis Center Mineola New York 11501CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (516) 663-9012
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Hempstead3.69 miles away615 Peninsula Boulevard Hempstead New York 11550CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (516) 483-6702
- Davita Oyster Bay Dialysis3.94 miles away17 E Old Country Road Hicksville New York 11801CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (516) 681-2786
- New York Dialysis Services Inc.4.2 miles away760 South Broadway Hicksville New York 11801CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (516) 827-1370
- Nyu Langone Hospitals4.58 miles away530 Hicksville Road The Dialysis Center @ Bethpage Bethpage New York 11714CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (516) 663-4980
- Nyu Langone Hospitals5.03 miles away255 Warner Avenue Roslyn Heights New York 11577Dialysis Stations: 3 (516) 626-8355