Fruitvale Healthcare Center is in the densely populated metropolitan area of Oakland, California. We gave this facility an overall grade of B-. A score in this range requires some respectable marks. The nursing homes in Oakland received quality scores across the board with a city grade of a B. The best part of this facility's report card is is its inspection score. Inspection grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Fruitvale Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
It should be noted that this nursing home's inspection score outpaced its overall score. In fact, we awarded it a grade of B+ for its inspections rating, which is one of our better scores. These inspection scores take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this place had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
This facility also excelled in the category of nursing, where it earned an B. Our nursing grade is primarily associated with the facility's nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Fruitvale Healthcare Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next most favorable area was long-term care. We gave it a B- in this category. This is essentially a middle of the pack score in this category. Our long-term care scores are more meaningful for individuals needing more traditional services related to personal care. Once we assessed the amount of care provided by nurses, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination data. We were pleased to discover that this nursing home vaccinated 99.77925 percent of its residents against pneumonia. This place keeps its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to the next category, this facility was given an acceptable short-term care grade of B-. In forming our short-term care grades, we assess the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The goal is to devise a scale for comparing the rehabilitation services of different facilities. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 4.1 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most nursing homes, closer to half of their residents are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Fruitvale Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Fruitvale Healthcare Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure gauges the percent of long-term residents who are suffering from pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a solid barometer of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Fruitvale Healthcare Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who sustained a fall which caused serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Fruitvale Healthcare Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often caused by nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. Better hygiene protocols limits the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Keep in mind that this metric is affected by by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Fruitvale Healthcare Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure tells you the percent of long-term stay residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior in scenarios where such drugs are not medically indicated. However, some facilities need to rely more on these drugs due to having more residents suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Fruitvale Healthcare Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This measures the percentage of long-term residents who were prescribed antianxiety medication. These drugs are used to treat residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Fruitvale Healthcare Center, 4.64% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients who are showing depressive symptoms. Some experts believe this is a measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Fruitvale Healthcare Center, 95.44% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Fruitvale Healthcare Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Fruitvale Healthcare Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that maintained mobility.
In Fruitvale Healthcare Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Fruitvale Healthcare Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Fruitvale Healthcare Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Fruitvale Healthcare Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Oakland, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Oakland, California has 16 other nursing homes
- Highland HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.41 miles away1411 East 31st Street Oakland California 94602Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 437-4800
- Alameda HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.81 miles away2070 Clinton Avenue Alameda California 94501Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 522-3700
- Alta Bates Summit Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.53 miles away350 Hawthorne Avenue Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 655-4000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Oakland/RichmondAcute Care Hospitals 3.55 miles away275 West Macarthur Boulevard Oakland California 94611Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 752-1000
- Children's Hospital & Research Center OaklandChildrens 4.65 miles away747 52nd Street Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 428-3000
- Alta Bates Summit Medical Center - Alta Bates CampAcute Care Hospitals 5.65 miles away2450 Ashby Avenue Berkeley California 94705Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 204-4444
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - San LeandroAcute Care Hospitals 6 miles away2500 Merced Street San Leandro California 94577Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 454-1000
- San Leandro HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.51 miles away13855 E 14th Street San Leandro California 94578Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 357-6500
- Rai - East Bay - Oakland0.08 miles away2628 International Blvd, Ste 100 Oakland California 94601CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 261-8219
- Alameda County Dialysis Center2.42 miles away10700 Macarthur Blvd. Building 7 Oakland California 94605CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 568-5849
- Rai Peralta3.48 miles away2757 Telegraph Avenue Oakland California 94612CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 835-0154
- Satellite Dialysis Oakland3.69 miles away3330 Telegraph Ave Oakland California 94609CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 433-8340
- Rai Piedmont4.51 miles away2710 Telegraph Avenue Suite #100 Oakland California 94612CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (510) 286-9948
- Rai Bancroft4.61 miles away6955 Foothill Blvd. Ste 220 Oakland California 94605Dialysis Stations: 26 (510) 553-1333
- Oakland Dialysis Center4.63 miles away5354 Claremont Avenue Oakland California 94618CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (510) 597-0104
- Rai E. 14th4.65 miles away198 East 14th St San Leandro California 94577Dialysis Stations: 21 (510) 430-8311