Friendship Village of South Hi is located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, which is one of the most densely populated metropolitan areas in the country. We awarded this facility an overall grade of B+. A score in this range requires favorable marks in most areas. Even with Pittsburgh offering 29 other nursing homes available, this one stood out as a superb selection. The best part of this facility's strong profile is its inspection rating. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section
Friendship Village of South Hi
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving a great overall score, this facility performed even better in the area of inspections which is based on the nursing home's recent inspection reports. We awarded it a grade of A for that category, which is one of our highest scores. Inspection grades weigh a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we look at is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with better scores in this category tend to have few severe deficiencies. This place was hit with 5 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This indicates that CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies to cause an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility received high grades in the category of long-term care as well. Indeed, we awarded it one of our most dominant grades in that area with a area of A-. For long-term care residents, the primary goal is to maintain residents' quality of life and keep them safe. One of the criteria we considered in addition to nursing hours is vaccinations. This nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccination to 79.29293 percent of its residents. Although its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we hoped for, we were pleased to find nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Friendship Village of South Hi?
This facility received even higher grades in the area of nursing. In fact, it received one of our highest grades in that category with a score of A-. Nursing ratings are primarily associated with a facility's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
The final area we rated is short-term care. In that area, we gave this nursing home an acceptable grade of C. This ended up being this facility's worst area. In the area of short-term care, we seek to assess indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of residents who ultimately returned home from this facility. We found that 4.4 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was actually well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Friendship Village of South Hi Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Friendship Village of South Hi, 7.59% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that are suffering from pressure ulcers . We bake this statistic into our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Friendship Village of South Hi, 3.37% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a major fall. Falls leading to severe injury are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls which result in injury are often the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Friendship Village of South Hi, 1.9% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are linked to inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Friendship Village of South Hi, 15.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are used for a variety of medical conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Friendship Village of South Hi, 19.74% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. These medications are commonly prescribed to patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Friendship Village of South Hi, 3.12% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Friendship Village of South Hi, 88.22% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Friendship Village of South Hi, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Friendship Village of South Hi, 21.64% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Friendship Village of South Hi, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Friendship Village of South Hi, 21.64 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Friendship Village of South Hi, 8.92 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Friendship Village of South Hi, 72.59% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term patients who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Pittsburgh, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania has 28 other nursing homes
- St Clair HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.79 miles away1000 Bower Hill Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15243Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 942-4000
- Canonsburg General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.4 miles away100 Medical Boulevard Canonsburg Pennsylvania 15317Voluntary non-profit - Private(724) 873-5892
- Jefferson HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.17 miles away565 Coal Valley Road Clairton Pennsylvania 15025Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 469-5000
- Upmc MercyAcute Care Hospitals 10.65 miles away1400 Locust Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15219Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 232-8111
- Ohio Valley General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.93 miles away25 Heckel Road Mc Kees Rocks Pennsylvania 15136Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 777-6161
- Allegheny General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.26 miles away320 East North Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15212Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 359-3131
- Magee Womens Hospital of Upmc Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 11.55 miles away300 Halket Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Other(412) 641-4010
- Upmc Presbyterian ShadysideAcute Care Hospitals 11.76 miles away200 Lothrop Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 647-8788
- Davita - Bethel Park3.98 miles away6000 Alicia Drive Bethel Park Pennsylvania 15102Dialysis Stations: 4 (412) 833-2612
- Dci of Hillpointe4.34 miles away131 Hillpointe Drive Canonsburg Pennsylvania 15317Dialysis Stations: 23 (724) 873-1242
- Fresenius Kidney Care - South Hills5.09 miles away4651 Library Road Bethel Park Pennsylvania 15102Dialysis Stations: 18 (412) 835-1229
- Liberty Dialysis - Southpointe5.58 miles away1200 Corporate Drive Canonsburg Pennsylvania 15317CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (724) 745-5565
- Liberty Dialysis - Banksville7.13 miles away2875 Banksville Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15216CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (412) 343-3060
- Dci Renal Services of Pittsburgh, LLC - Banksville7.26 miles away2727 Banksville Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15216CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (412) 341-7410
- Davita - Jefferson Dialysis7.67 miles away14 Clairton Boulevard Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15236Dialysis Stations: 17 (412) 653-6007
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Ohio Valley9.68 miles awayRobinson Plaza, Building #3 Route 60, Suite 110 Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15205CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (412) 494-6902