Friendship Village of South Hills is located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, which is one of the most densely populated metropolitan areas in the country. We awarded this facility an overall grade of B+. A score in this range requires favorable marks in most areas. Even with Pittsburgh offering 13 other nursing homes available, this one stood out as a superb selection. The best part of this facility's strong profile is its nursing rating. Nursing grades are discussed in the next section
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Friendship Village of South Hills
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Pittsburgh senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving a great overall grade, this nursing home received an A+ for nursing. Our nursing grade focuses on the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. We factor in both the levels of training of the nurses and the quantity of hours spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can frequently be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Adding to its impressive category grades, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for our inspections rating. Inspection grades are based on several items located in the a nursing home's recent government inspections. Places that score well in this category typically have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these places generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. Although this facility had some deficiencies on its report, none of them were severe based on CMS' scale. We should note that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in the industry.
Does this page answer your questions about Friendship Village of South Hills?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility received an impressive short-term care grade as well. We awarded it one of our better scores in that area with a grade of B. Our short-term care ratings are considered to be most meaningful for patients needing rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation typically requires more highly-skilled nursing services. This means not only nursing services, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 4.4 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we rated was long-term care. This facility received a very good long-term care grade in our assessment, with a grade of B-. While this is not nearly as strong as many of its other scores, this remains a decent rating in this area. In a long-term care environment, the nursing home's primary goal is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. One of the statistics we considered after nursing hours was vaccinations. Candidly, we were a bit concerned this facility administered the pneumonia vaccination to only 73.84615 percent of its patients. Nevertheless, this place excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Friendship Village of South Hills Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Friendship Village of South Hills, 7.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of long-term residents that suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are an measure of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Friendship Village of South Hills, 3.38% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . Major falls resulting in injury are often the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Friendship Village of South Hills, 1.85% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely associated with lower quality nursing care. More frequent bathing can minimize the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Keep in mind that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Friendship Village of South Hills, 15.28% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. These drugs may be used to treat a variety of medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Friendship Village of South Hills, 18.78% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. These medications are commonly given to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Friendship Village of South Hills, 3.3% of Patients
This is the percent of residents demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Friendship Village of South Hills, 86.27% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these types of vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Friendship Village of South Hills, 15.17% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and bathing. Some experts argue that this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Friendship Village of South Hills, 17.92% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that retained mobility levels. Many would argue that the ability to move around is critical to patients health.
In Friendship Village of South Hills, 1.44 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Friendship Village of South Hills, 17.92 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Friendship Village of South Hills, 9.68 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Friendship Village of South Hills, 73.03% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Pittsburgh, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania has 12 other nursing homes
- St Clair HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.79 miles away1000 Bower Hill Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15243Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 942-4000
- Canonsburg General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.4 miles away100 Medical Boulevard Canonsburg Pennsylvania 15317Voluntary non-profit - Private(724) 873-5892
- Jefferson HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.17 miles away565 Coal Valley Road Clairton Pennsylvania 15025Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 469-5000
- Upmc MercyAcute Care Hospitals 10.65 miles away1400 Locust Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15219Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 232-8111
- Ohio Valley General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.93 miles away25 Heckel Road Mc Kees Rocks Pennsylvania 15136Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 777-6161
- Allegheny General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.26 miles away320 East North Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15212Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 359-3131
- Magee Womens Hospital of Upmc Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 11.55 miles away300 Halket Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Other(412) 641-4010
- Upmc Presbyterian ShadysideAcute Care Hospitals 11.76 miles away200 Lothrop Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 647-8788
- Davita - Bethel Park3.98 miles away6000 Alicia Drive Bethel Park Pennsylvania 15102Dialysis Stations: 4 (412) 833-2612
- Dci of Hillpointe4.34 miles away131 Hillpointe Drive Canonsburg Pennsylvania 15317Dialysis Stations: 23 (724) 873-1242
- Fresenius Kidney Care - South Hills5.09 miles away4651 Library Road Bethel Park Pennsylvania 15102Dialysis Stations: 18 (412) 835-1229
- Liberty Dialysis - Southpointe5.58 miles away1200 Corporate Drive Canonsburg Pennsylvania 15317CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (724) 745-5565
- Liberty Dialysis - Banksville7.13 miles away2875 Banksville Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15216CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (412) 343-3060
- Dci Renal Services of Pittsburgh, LLC - Banksville7.26 miles away2727 Banksville Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15216CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (412) 341-7410
- Davita - Jefferson Dialysis7.67 miles away14 Clairton Boulevard Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15236Dialysis Stations: 17 (412) 653-6007
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Ohio Valley9.68 miles awayRobinson Plaza, Building #3 Route 60, Suite 110 Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15205CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (412) 494-6902