Friendship Manor Nursing & Rehab Center is an average-sized nursing home in National City, California. It looks like this is a fine facility. We awarded it an overall grade of B, which is a favorable score. The nursing homes in National City received high scores across the board with a B+ city grade, making this one of the best places in California to find a nursing home. The best part of this place's profile was is its short-term care grade. We discuss short-term care in the next paragraph.
Friendship Manor Nursing & Rehab Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
One of the reasons this turned out to be a quality facility is it received a very impressive short-term care grade. In fact, short-term care turned out to be its best category. In that category, we awarded this facility an A-. In crafting these short-term care ratings, we quantify the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our goal is to create a measure for sizing up the rehabilitation services of nursing homes. It doesn't appear that this facility provided information about its staffing of registered nurses or physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 5.8 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Turning to another one of this facility's strengths, it also earned a very impressive inspection score. In fact, inspections proved to be one of its best categories. We gave this nursing home a grade of A-. Inspection grades are tied to many items located in the a nursing home's inspection reports. Places that receive favorable grades in this area have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. Fortunately, although this place had some minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G through L. This tells you that the inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Remember that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in the industry.
Does this page answer your questions about Friendship Manor Nursing & Rehab Center?
This facility is also strong in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of B. It outperformed most nursing homes in this category. Our nursing grade weighs many factors. The most important one is the number of hours nurses spent with patients. This particular nursing home provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we looked at was long-term care, which proved to be this facility's worst area. We awarded this facility a grade of D in that category. Sadly, this category hurt the facility's overall grade to a certain degree. For residents looking for a permanent place to live rather than rehabilitation, long-term care grades are a key measure. After looking at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is better than the average nursing home. Surprisingly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this facility has less hospitalizations than most nursing homes. Unfortunately, some of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Friendship Manor Nursing & Rehab Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Friendship Manor Nursing & Rehab Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Friendship Manor Nursing & Rehab Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who experienced falls which resulted in severe injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be a sign of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Friendship Manor Nursing & Rehab Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term residents that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's may be a sign of a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this metric could be misleading for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Friendship Manor Nursing & Rehab Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. These drugs are sometimes used to treat several medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Friendship Manor Nursing & Rehab Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Friendship Manor Nursing & Rehab Center, 4.64% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients exhibiting symptoms of depression. Many in the industry argue this is a measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Friendship Manor Nursing & Rehab Center, 95.44% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these types of vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Friendship Manor Nursing & Rehab Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may indicate erosion of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Friendship Manor Nursing & Rehab Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of patients who were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Friendship Manor Nursing & Rehab Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Friendship Manor Nursing & Rehab Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Friendship Manor Nursing & Rehab Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Friendship Manor Nursing & Rehab Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of independence with ADL's usually correlates with better rehabilitation.
Scores for National City, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? National City, California has 4 other nursing homes
- Paradise Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.33 miles away2400 East 4th St National City California 91950Proprietary(619) 470-4321
- Nmc San DiegoAcute Care - Department of Defense 4.78 miles away34800 Bob Wilson Drive San Diego California 92134Department of Defense(619) 532-6400
- Sharp Coronado Hospital and Hlthcr CtrAcute Care Hospitals 5.11 miles away250 Prospect Place Coronado California 92118Proprietary(619) 435-6251
- Sharp Chula Vista Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.58 miles away751 Medical Center Court Chula Vista California 91911Proprietary(619) 502-5800
- Alvarado Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.71 miles away6655 Alvarado Road San Diego California 92120Proprietary(619) 229-3172
- Scripps Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.73 miles away4077 5th Ave San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 294-8111
- Uc San Diego Health Hillcrest - Hillcrest Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 7.06 miles away200 West Arbor Drive San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Other(619) 543-6222
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - ZionAcute Care Hospitals 7.74 miles away4647 Zion Ave San Diego California 92120Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 528-5000
- Davita-San Diego East1.79 miles away292 Euclid Avenue, Suite 100 San Diego California 92114CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (619) 262-7225
- Fmc-National City Dialysis Center2.02 miles away303 W. 26th Street National City California 91950CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (619) 474-8151
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of Paradise2.18 miles away6919 Paradise Valley Road San Diego California 92139CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 475-2872
- Fmc-Raven2.5 miles away499 Raven Street San Diego California 92102Dialysis Stations: 31 (619) 263-1518
- Fmc-Gateway Dialysis Center-East2.95 miles away720 Gateway Center Drive, Suite B San Diego California 92102CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 264-4100
- Fmc-Balboa South Bay Home Therapies2.96 miles away340 4th Avenue, Suite 18 Chula Vista California 91910Dialysis Stations: 5 (619) 420-1798
- Davita-San Diego South Dialysis3.05 miles away995 Gateway Center Way, Suite 101 San Diego California 92102CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (619) 262-1960
- Fmc-Balboa Marina Bay4.02 miles away630 Bay Blvd., Suite 101 Chula Vista California 91910CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (619) 420-6725