Friendship Manor Nursing & Rehab Center is one of five facilities located in National City, California. Sporting an overall grade of B, this is a good facility. You could definitely do much worse than this place. This nursing home was stronger in some categories than others, but it did not have any bad scores in any of the four major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Friendship Manor Nursing & Rehab Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
902 South Euclid Avenue,
National City CA 91950
82.98% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being a strong nursing home overall, this place really excelled in the area of inspections, where it received an A-. Not many facilities fared better in that category. Our inspection grades weigh a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we look at is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with higher scores in this category generally have few of these severe deficiencies. While this place had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' scale. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was given a strong short-term care score. Indeed, we awarded it an above average score of B+ in this area. Our short-term care ratings are based in part on a facility's quantity of skilled nursing services. This means a broad scope of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, in addition to other forms of therapy. One of this nursing home's strengths is physical therapy hours. We found that it offers more hours with physical therapists to its residents than most facilities. The last statistic we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents who ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that it fared as well as just about any nursing home in California in this area with 58.8 percent of its residents returning home. With most nursing homes, fewer than half of their short-term residents are able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Friendship Manor Nursing & Rehab Center?
Next, we looked at the nursing category where we awarded this nursing home a grade of B-. This facility didn't perform quite as well in this category as it did in some other categories. Nevertheless, this is still a respectable score. Nursing grades are based in large part on quality and quantity of nursing care. This nursing home provides an impressive 4.4 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This is a higher quantity of nursing than that offered by most nursing homes. Lastly, we also factored some quality measures into our nursing grades. Specifically, we looked at the percent of residents who sustained pressure ulcers and major falls. We view these metrics as reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care, since better care tends to reduce these problems.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we assessed is long-term care. This nursing home received a B- in the area. With our long-term care assessment, we focus more on the amount of care offered by a facility, as well as a few quality measures. On top of offering above average levels of nurse staffing, this nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. This statistic is higher than the majority of nursing homes. Finally, we looked at the facility's number of hospitalizations. We found that this place had 3.14 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. While this figure is quite a bit higher than the national average, this statistic may be skewed for some facilities due to the medical complexity of patients.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Friendship Manor Nursing & Rehab Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Friendship Manor Nursing & Rehab Center, 7.63% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients which have pressure ulcers . We use this statistic in calculating both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Friendship Manor Nursing & Rehab Center, 1.66% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who have suffered a fall which resulted in severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be a sign of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Friendship Manor Nursing & Rehab Center, 1.19% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often the result of facilities with worst hygiene practices. Better nursing care reduces the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Keep in mind that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Friendship Manor Nursing & Rehab Center, 9.98% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients given antipsychotic drugs. These medications are used for a variety of conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Friendship Manor Nursing & Rehab Center, 13.87% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are given to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Friendship Manor Nursing & Rehab Center, 4.32% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Friendship Manor Nursing & Rehab Center, 96.21% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Friendship Manor Nursing & Rehab Center, 8.35% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of deterioration of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Friendship Manor Nursing & Rehab Center, 14.01% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who retained mobility levels. Many in the industry argue that the ability to move around is important for residents' mental and physical health.
In Friendship Manor Nursing & Rehab Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Friendship Manor Nursing & Rehab Center, 14.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Friendship Manor Nursing & Rehab Center, 9.82 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to gauge short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Friendship Manor Nursing & Rehab Center, 79.69% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for National City, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? National City, California has 4 other nursing homes
- Paradise Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.33 miles away2400 East 4th St National City California 91950Proprietary(619) 470-4321
- Nmc San DiegoAcute Care - Department of Defense 4.78 miles away34800 Bob Wilson Drive San Diego California 92134Department of Defense(619) 532-6400
- Sharp Coronado Hospital and Hlthcr CtrAcute Care Hospitals 5.11 miles away250 Prospect Place Coronado California 92118Proprietary(619) 435-6251
- Sharp Chula Vista Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.58 miles away751 Medical Center Court Chula Vista California 91911Proprietary(619) 502-5800
- Alvarado Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.71 miles away6655 Alvarado Road San Diego California 92120Proprietary(619) 229-3172
- Scripps Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.73 miles away4077 5th Ave San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 294-8111
- Uc San Diego Health Hillcrest - Hillcrest Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 7.06 miles away200 West Arbor Drive San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Other(619) 543-6222
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - ZionAcute Care Hospitals 7.74 miles away4647 Zion Ave San Diego California 92120Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 528-5000
- Davita-San Diego East1.79 miles away292 Euclid Avenue, Suite 100 San Diego California 92114CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (619) 262-7225
- Fmc-National City Dialysis Center2.02 miles away303 W. 26th Street National City California 91950CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (619) 474-8151
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of Paradise2.18 miles away6919 Paradise Valley Road San Diego California 92139CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 475-2872
- Fmc-Raven2.5 miles away499 Raven Street San Diego California 92102Dialysis Stations: 31 (619) 263-1518
- Fmc-Gateway Dialysis Center-East2.95 miles away720 Gateway Center Drive, Suite B San Diego California 92102CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 264-4100
- Fmc-Balboa South Bay Home Therapies2.96 miles away340 4th Avenue, Suite 18 Chula Vista California 91910Dialysis Stations: 5 (619) 420-1798
- Davita-San Diego South Dialysis3.05 miles away995 Gateway Center Way, Suite 101 San Diego California 92102CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (619) 262-1960
- Fmc-Balboa Marina Bay4.02 miles away630 Bay Blvd., Suite 101 Chula Vista California 91910CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (619) 420-6725