Friendship Health Center is located in the densely populated metropolitan area of Portland, Oregon with a population of 841,711 people. We gave this facility a B- overall, which is a solid score. This is comparable with the city grade in Portland, which is a B. In spite of Portland offering 14 nursing homes to select from, this nursing home looks like a perfectly acceptable selection. This place is better in some categories than others, but it didn't have any poor grades in any of our major categories discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Friendship Health Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Portland senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to having a decent overall score, we also wanted to point out that this facility received favorable nursing marks this year. We gave them one of our better scores in that area, with a B+. This proved to be the facility's top grade. We scrutinized the levels of nurses at the facility, as well as the quantity of time the nurses worked with patients, in calculating our rating in this category. This particular nursing home provided 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this facility's better category grades came in the area of long-term care. In that area, we awarded this nursing home a grade of B. Nursing homes that receive this type of grade in long-term care tend to provide consistent around the clock care to ensure residents are kept in good health. On top of considering the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 85.92233 percent of its residents. This is somewhat less than we expected but still a decent figure. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we had hoped, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Friendship Health Center?
It should also be noted that this nursing home's inspection score was strong as well. In fact, we awarded it a B for its inspection reports, which is one of our better scores. Our inspection grades are based on many items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that receive favorable grades in this area have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This nursing home was hit with 6 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This means that CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies to create an immediate threat to patient safety or health. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe made us feel better about this inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
Our final category is short-term care, in which we awarded this nursing home a B- in this area. Our short-term care grades are presumably most important for residents needing rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation generally requires more highly-skilled nursing. This means not only nursing services, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that this nursing home submitted information on registered nurse or physical therapist staffing. The final statistic we considered in this category is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that just 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Friendship Health Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Friendship Health Center, 9.76% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Friendship Health Center, 0.49% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of long-term care residents which sustained falls leading to severe injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be an indication of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Friendship Health Center, 1.94% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often caused by worse hygiene protocols. More frequent bathing can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Friendship Health Center, 14.14% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents given antipsychotic medications. These drugs are used for a variety of medical conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Friendship Health Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are given to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Friendship Health Center, 2.14% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Friendship Health Center, 90.42% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Friendship Health Center, 11.28% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Friendship Health Center, 15.28% of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Friendship Health Center, 15.28% of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Friendship Health Center, 69.95% of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with ADL's often correlates with higher quality rehabilitation.
Scores for Portland, OR
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Portland, Oregon has 13 other nursing homes
- Providence Portland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.63 miles away4805 Ne Glisan Street Portland Oregon 97213Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 215-1111
- Ohsu Hospital and ClinicsAcute Care Hospitals 2.79 miles away3181 Sw Sam Jackson Park Road Portland Oregon 97239Voluntary non-profit - Other(503) 494-6245
- Adventist Health PortlandAcute Care Hospitals 3.75 miles away10123 Se Market Street Portland Oregon 97216Voluntary non-profit - Church(503) 257-2500
- Legacy Emanuel Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.16 miles away2801 N Gantenbein Avenue Portland Oregon 97227Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 413-2200
- Legacy Good Samaritan Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.21 miles away1015 Nw 22nd Avenue, w121 Portland Oregon 97210Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 413-7711
- Kaiser Sunnyside Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.31 miles away10180 Se Sunnyside Road Clackamas Oregon 97015Voluntary non-profit - Other(503) 652-2880
- Providence St Vincent Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.82 miles away9205 Sw Barnes Road Portland Oregon 97225Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 216-2213
- Legacy Meridian Park Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.55 miles away19300 Sw 65th Avenue Tualatin Oregon 97062Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 692-2182
- Foster Powell Dialysis1.84 miles away6828 Se Foster Rd Portland Oregon 97206Dialysis Stations: 17 (503) 777-5780
- Pnrs Hollywood Dialysis2.91 miles away2824 Ne Wasco St Suite #100 Portland Oregon 97232CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (503) 493-8227
- Oregon Kidney Center2.96 miles away3524 Ne Sandy Blvd Portland Oregon 97232CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (503) 236-7097
- Northeast Portland Renal Center3.48 miles away703 Ne Hancock St Portland Oregon 97212CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (503) 493-3322
- Portland Mlk Dialysis3.8 miles away2737 Ne Martin Luther King Jr Blvd Portland Oregon 97212Dialysis Stations: 20 (503) 282-1253
- Portland Dialysis Center4.19 miles away10595 Se Stark St Portland Oregon 97216Dialysis Stations: 15 (503) 252-0019
- Rose City Dialysis, LLC4.96 miles away4905 Ne Martin Luther King Blvd Portland Oregon 97211CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (503) 288-7020
- Pnrs Home Dialysis4.96 miles away2701 Nw Vaughn St., Ste. 150 Portland Oregon 97201Dialysis Stations: 12 (503) 205-0320