Friendship Health Center is located in the densely populated metropolitan area of Portland, Oregon with a population of 841,711 people. We gave this facility a B overall, which is a solid score. We were also impressed that Portland received a B+ city grade, making this one of the best places to find a nursing home. In spite of Portland having 33 other nursing homes to select from, this nursing home turns out to be a sound option. This facility is better in some categories than others, but it didn't have any bad scores in any of the four major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Friendship Health Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to earning a strong overall score, this facility performed well in our short-term care category. In fact, we awarded it an A for that category. Short-term care grades are based in part on a facility's quantity of highly-skilled highly skilled professionals. This means a wide spectrum of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, in addition to other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 6.9 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
This facility really excelled in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of A-. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Our nursing score is mostly based on the nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Friendship Health Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's third most favorable category is long-term care. In that area, we awarded this nursing home a grade of C. For long-term care residents, the nursing home's primary objective is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. After looking at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination record. We were concerned by the fact that this nursing home vaccinated just 88.288284 percent of its residents against pneumonia. On a more positive note, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Finally, turning to our inspection category, we gave this facility a grade of C. Our inspection grade is based on the facility's inspection reports. Although this is not a bad score, it is this nursing home's weakest area. These inspection grades take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This facility was assessed 6 deficiencies on its government inspection report, but none were in any of the categories labeled G through L. This indicates CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. We did not consider anything on this place's inspection report to be too alarming.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Friendship Health Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Friendship Health Center, 8.23% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term care residents who suffered from pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are an indicator of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Friendship Health Center, 2.36% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents that sustained a fall resulting in major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Friendship Health Center, 2.4% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often linked to worse hygiene protocols. However, this statistic could be misleading for some facilities due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Friendship Health Center, 15.56% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This gauges the percent of long-term care patients taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Friendship Health Center, 12.65% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are given to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Friendship Health Center, 5.35% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who are demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Friendship Health Center, 92.77% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Friendship Health Center, 13.93% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and taking a bath. Many would argue that this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Friendship Health Center, 23.47% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term stay patients who were able to retain mobility. Some argue that the ability to move around is important for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Friendship Health Center, 23.47 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Friendship Health Center, 75.28% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many would argue this is a measure of rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Portland, OR
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Portland, Oregon has 32 other nursing homes
- Providence Portland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.63 miles away4805 Ne Glisan Street Portland Oregon 97213Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 215-1111
- Ohsu Hospital and ClinicsAcute Care Hospitals 2.79 miles away3181 Sw Sam Jackson Park Road Portland Oregon 97239Voluntary non-profit - Other(503) 494-6245
- Adventist Health PortlandAcute Care Hospitals 3.75 miles away10123 Se Market Street Portland Oregon 97216Voluntary non-profit - Church(503) 257-2500
- Legacy Emanuel Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.16 miles away2801 N Gantenbein Avenue Portland Oregon 97227Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 413-2200
- Legacy Good Samaritan Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.21 miles away1015 Nw 22nd Avenue, w121 Portland Oregon 97210Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 413-7711
- Kaiser Sunnyside Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.31 miles away10180 Se Sunnyside Road Clackamas Oregon 97015Voluntary non-profit - Other(503) 652-2880
- Providence St Vincent Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.82 miles away9205 Sw Barnes Road Portland Oregon 97225Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 216-2213
- Legacy Meridian Park Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.55 miles away19300 Sw 65th Avenue Tualatin Oregon 97062Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 692-2182
- Foster Powell Dialysis1.84 miles away6828 Se Foster Rd Portland Oregon 97206Dialysis Stations: 17 (503) 777-5780
- Pnrs Hollywood Dialysis2.91 miles away2824 Ne Wasco St Suite #100 Portland Oregon 97232CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (503) 493-8227
- Oregon Kidney Center2.96 miles away3524 Ne Sandy Blvd Portland Oregon 97232CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (503) 236-7097
- Northeast Portland Renal Center3.48 miles away703 Ne Hancock St Portland Oregon 97212CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (503) 493-3322
- Portland Mlk Dialysis3.8 miles away2737 Ne Martin Luther King Jr Blvd Portland Oregon 97212Dialysis Stations: 20 (503) 282-1253
- Portland Dialysis Center4.19 miles away10595 Se Stark St Portland Oregon 97216Dialysis Stations: 15 (503) 252-0019
- Rose City Dialysis, LLC4.96 miles away4905 Ne Martin Luther King Blvd Portland Oregon 97211CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (503) 288-7020
- Pnrs Home Dialysis4.96 miles away2701 Nw Vaughn St., Ste. 150 Portland Oregon 97201Dialysis Stations: 12 (503) 205-0320