Friendship Health Center is an average-sized non-profit facility in Portland, Oregon. We awarded it an overall grade of C, which is a middle of the road rating. In our view, this facility ought to be a solid choice for most people. This place was stronger in some categories than others, but it did not have any weak links in any of the major categories discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Friendship Health Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
3320 Se Holgate Blvd,
Portland OR 97202
63% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
It should also be noted that this facility's nursing score outpaced its overall score. In fact, we gave it a B+ for its nursing score. When calculating a facility's nursing grade, we consider the number of hours nurses commit to patients and the levels of training of the nurses. This nursing home provides 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by employing a protocol of turning a patient even once per day.
It should also be noted that this facility's inspection grade was strong as well. In fact, we gave it a B for inspections, which is one of our better grades. These inspection ratings take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Although this facility had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. A couple minor deficiencies should not stop you from considering a nursing home.
Does this page answer your questions about Friendship Health Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The third area we assessed is short-term care, where this nursing home received a grade of B- in this category. In the category of short-term care, we strive to assess indicators of a facility's rehabilitation. We look at the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. In this facility's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. The final measure we considered in this area is the number of residents that were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
Our final category is long-term care, in which we awarded this nursing home a C in that area. Our long-term care grades are more meaningful for patients needing more traditional assistance associated with personal care. On top of considering the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 85.38813 percent of its residents. This is several points lower than what we were hoping for. Fortunately, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Friendship Health Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Friendship Health Center, 8.57% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure tells you the percent of long-term residents which suffered from pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a great measure of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Friendship Health Center, 2.43% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients who sustained a fall which resulted in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Friendship Health Center, 2.24% of Patients had UTIs
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients that had a urinary tract infection. UTI's could be a sign of poor nursing care. However, this statistic could be skewed for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Friendship Health Center, 15.6% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to residents for many conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Unfortunately, in limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Friendship Health Center, 12.47% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are given to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Friendship Health Center, 5.65% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who are showing depressive symptoms. Some experts argue that this is a reliable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Friendship Health Center, 92.57% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Friendship Health Center, 13.82% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and using the bathroom. Many argue this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Friendship Health Center, 22.07% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients that maintained mobility.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Friendship Health Center, 22.07 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Friendship Health Center, 75.47% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term patients that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Portland, OR
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Portland, Oregon has 32 other nursing homes
- Providence Portland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.63 miles away4805 Ne Glisan Street Portland Oregon 97213Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 215-1111
- Ohsu Hospital and ClinicsAcute Care Hospitals 2.79 miles away3181 Sw Sam Jackson Park Road Portland Oregon 97239Voluntary non-profit - Other(503) 494-6245
- Adventist Health PortlandAcute Care Hospitals 3.75 miles away10123 Se Market Street Portland Oregon 97216Voluntary non-profit - Church(503) 257-2500
- Legacy Emanuel Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.16 miles away2801 N Gantenbein Avenue Portland Oregon 97227Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 413-2200
- Legacy Good Samaritan Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.21 miles away1015 Nw 22nd Avenue, w121 Portland Oregon 97210Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 413-7711
- Kaiser Sunnyside Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.31 miles away10180 Se Sunnyside Road Clackamas Oregon 97015Voluntary non-profit - Other(503) 652-2880
- Providence St Vincent Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.82 miles away9205 Sw Barnes Road Portland Oregon 97225Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 216-2213
- Legacy Meridian Park Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.55 miles away19300 Sw 65th Avenue Tualatin Oregon 97062Voluntary non-profit - Private(503) 692-2182
- Foster Powell Dialysis1.84 miles away6828 Se Foster Rd Portland Oregon 97206Dialysis Stations: 17 (503) 777-5780
- Pnrs Hollywood Dialysis2.91 miles away2824 Ne Wasco St Suite #100 Portland Oregon 97232CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (503) 493-8227
- Oregon Kidney Center2.96 miles away3524 Ne Sandy Blvd Portland Oregon 97232CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (503) 236-7097
- Northeast Portland Renal Center3.48 miles away703 Ne Hancock St Portland Oregon 97212CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (503) 493-3322
- Portland Mlk Dialysis3.8 miles away2737 Ne Martin Luther King Jr Blvd Portland Oregon 97212Dialysis Stations: 20 (503) 282-1253
- Portland Dialysis Center4.19 miles away10595 Se Stark St Portland Oregon 97216Dialysis Stations: 15 (503) 252-0019
- Rose City Dialysis, LLC4.96 miles away4905 Ne Martin Luther King Blvd Portland Oregon 97211CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (503) 288-7020
- Pnrs Home Dialysis4.96 miles away2701 Nw Vaughn St., Ste. 150 Portland Oregon 97201Dialysis Stations: 12 (503) 205-0320